1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by HughScot, Sep 3, 2003.

1. HughScot

HughScot Member

Yesterday you guys helped with me sub-woofers, now I want to know what you think is the best Pre/Pro if we assume the absolute best is the Theta Casablanca II. I currently have the Denon 4802 and it is excellent in its price class but if you had 10k to 15k or less to spend what would be your choice?

Hugh

2. Dalton

Dalton Well-Known Member

Lexicon MC12B
    McIntosh MX134
    Meridian 861
    Krell HTS 7.1
    These would be on my shortlist to try if i could afford it.......

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Well-Known Member

4. HughScot

HughScot Member

Thanks for the short list and I concur with the Lexicon for sure. Have not heard or read up on the McIntosh.

As to the best being subjective I would disagree with your statement that it is always going to be different depending on the other equipment. A Porsche is better than Buick any day.....period. It is better made, it may not work for you but it is the best of the two. The best made and designed is what I was asking. Sure, the Mark Levinson # 40 at 30k made be the best to someone but not everyone; however, there are four or five mfg. who build the best equipment depending on your needs. Obviously Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha would not be on anyone's short list except based on cost. And I said in the under 15k category.

Hugh

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Well-Known Member

I know some will disagree(Lexicon owners) but Meridian is to me the absolute top end of the spectrum. They also have a digital setup for multichannel DVD audio which noone else has.

That and they are infinitely configurable and their support is unreal with the numerous amounts of upgrades they provide. Of course they should for the price that they charge but I think they are worth every dime.

6. MikeTz

MikeTz Well-Known Member

I agree with Shane, the Meridian is magnificent. But if you're willing to settle for a hair less performance, buy the Krell, Lexicon MC-8, or Classe SSP60. These pre/pros are all great units and cost half to a third of a fully loaded Meridian unit.

7. HughScot

HughScot Member

After a ton of research since you guys have been giving me your opinions I do agree that the Meridian 861 is one cool machine and compares well to the Casablanca. I don't think the Lexicon, while very good, is in their league. But then you have to look at the price of those two compared to the Lexicon MC12B. I'm going to be listening to all three this weekend and I doubt if I will be able to hear the difference or see any diff. And if all three are upgradeable and have everything I'll need then it may come down to price. No, I'm not buying yet but getting closer.

Hugh

8. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Well-Known Member

EAD Theatermaster. We have the Ovation Plus and it is amazing.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Well-Known Member

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have owned a McIntosh MX-130 in the past and this unit was sweet. IMHO even though I did like the sound from the Theata I did not feel it was worth the worth it cost wise vs the McIntosh. The Lexicon is a really nice choice as well. I would look into the McIntosh MX-134 as a serious option. There is soom really nice equipment out there in that price range and it depends on what features you want and what you will be using it for. Let us know how everything goes [​IMG]

11. HughScot

HughScot Member

I should not have said absolute best as that is a matter of opinion when comparing it with three or four others. I was interested in finding out what the other three or four others might be in someone else's opinion. And now I think I know. The Lexicon with its latest update, just announced, seems to be a very good piece of equipment.

Hugh

12. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Well-Known Member

Also consider two Canadian entries, the Bryston SP1.7 and and Classe SSP-75. For pure 2-channel performance along with good processor performance they're probably hard to beat.

Larry

13. NicholasL

NicholasL Well-Known Member

I've never heard the Lex MC12B, but in hometheatermag that unit and the Parasound Halo C1 got almost identical scores. The C1 is $6000, the MC-12B $10,000. Or you could look at the C2, which is sonically identical to the C1, but retails for $4000.

14. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Well-Known Member

The short list for what he was looking for seems to be the following:

Theta CBII
    Meridian 861
    McIntosh
    Lexicon MC-12B (could be had for less than 10K street price.)

These are all pretty much in the 10K-15K price range.

Under that price range in the 5K-10K I think the short list should be:

Lexicon MC-8B
    Meridian G68 (soon to be released)
    Brston SP1.7
    Krell HTS 7.1
    Parasound Halo C1
    Anthem Director D1 (soon to be released)

I think the under 10K list can grow pretty long but I think that about sums it up.

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Well-Known Member

16. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Well-Known Member

The Casablanca 3 will be out shortly with a new motorola chip, new operating system which will increase processing speed and they will finally add all the latest features like pro logic 2x and circle surround 2.

configure this with some extreme dacs and it will give the competition a run for its money. I hope to be aboard that ship when it sails[​IMG]

Bob

17. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Well-Known Member

i have no idea which is the best among these

bel canto
    krell
    lexicon
    theta
    meridian
    cary
    marsh
    classe
    ead

and some people would say that the analog section of the naim is not rivalved...

but i think meridian, lexicon and theta would be the most upgradeable...

oh, there was one day that a porsche was not better than a buick...the buick GNX owned the 944 for that year...sometimes it does shine on a dog's ass

Rich

18. Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann Well-Known Member

I tried many even had the krell hts7.1 is my theater as a demo. It was awsome but for half the price i setteled onthe krell showcase. Im no audiophile so the differences between them was not worth the money for me

i love the krell products

19. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your already on the right track with the Denon. checkout the review of the 5803 as it compares to seperates at audioholics.com and then wait for the 5804.

Peter m.

20. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Well-Known Member

The Bel Canto stuff looks promising. Has anyone hear them?

I am a Meridian and Krell fan myself.