What's new

Best place to honeymoon in the Caribbean? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for a cruise. We've taken Royal Caribbean's "western Caribbean" trip (7 nights). Really fun. We particularly liked Grand Cayman Island.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, Congratulations. I suggest you check out Cozumel, Mexico. I spent a week there last Summer at an all-inclusive resort. It's a great place, especially if you enjoy snorkeling or diving. The island is small, quiet, and romantic. If you need adventure while there, Cancun, and jungle excursions are just a ferry ride away. Dave

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If you've got the cash, there are also some guided sailing tours out of some of the smaller islands (Tortola has The Moorings, one of the larger companies). Nice if you want the flexibility and variety of cruising but without the touristy ports. It ain't cheap though.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My wife and I went on a Carribean cruise for our Honneymoon in 1991 and it was great. The islands of St. Thomas, San Lucia, Martinique, and Barbados were awesome. If I were to pick a single island though, it would probably be Barbados. Bridgetown is really a throwback to another time in places. It's cool to see the cops in the white British type uniforms directing traffic. Highly recommended.

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! They say once you go to St. John, you'll definitely come back.

Thanks for the great pics and informative email. This winter has been a rough one, and being in Northern NJ I've experienced pretty much the same weather you have in Connecticut. Unfortunately, the weather report for next week is clouds and rain! I hear it usually doesn't rain for more than an hour or two... hope that's true.

We're staying in a villa near fish bay. And we've rented a Jeep too -- we love the outdoors and I love photography, so the Jeep was a necessity.

Time to get back to packing... Thanks again, John, for the information and pics.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I can't believe no one's mentioned this one: Petit St. Vincent.

But then, I guess that's why it's one of the least known in the Caribbean Islands. I've never personally been but I've wanted to go for a while. I think you will, too once you check out what they have to offer. :D

Petit St. Vincent

Scott.

Tom Jr

Grip
We stayed at Sandals Montego bay a few years ago. Totally all-inclusive. Even tips. I left my wallet in a safe the whole week. There are a bunch of Sandals resorts, but this one seemed, to us, to be the best all around value. It's also close to the airport, so your on the beach half an hour after you land.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong

*nod* My girlfriend and I caught their advertisement in the magazine found on all Continental Airlines flights while flying to Phoenix a few weeks ago. I ordered their brochure as soon as I got back home. It looks simply incredible. FWIW, there's a "special" during Summer 2004 for $3,900 for seven nights... Yeah, it's a lot of money. And it's certainly not a vacation I'd be taking every year. But I think for a special occasion every now and then, this would be the place to go... maybe a honeymoon or long time anniversary, etc, etc. And considering everything you get, $3,900.00 for eight days, seven nights really doesn't seem too bad. And it is all inclusive.

*drool*

Scott.

DwightK

Second Unit
We've sailed past PSV when bareboating (Moorings) through the Grenadines. I liked Mayreau the best with the Tobago Cays a nice day sail away for fun at what has been titled the prettiest islands on earth (arguably of course). Other stops I enjoyed were Bequai -sp and Canuoun -sp. Bequai had the friendliest people and quaintest village where Canuoun had the longest white sand deserted beach I've ever seen. Mystique, PSV, and Palm island are all VERY exclusive. You can anchor at Mystique and eat lunch at the one pub/eating establishment but you can't stay any longer or walk around the island. It is the home to people like Princess Caroline, Mick Jagger, etc. and they don't appreciate tourists.

All told I like all of the Grenadines the best of all the Caribbean islands I've been to and that is many. The island of St. Vincent is extremely primitive and a tad scary. It has not been touristified and it shows. All the beaches are black sand. I also believe it is the last remaining island that still has original caribbean inhabitants. All the original people were slaughtered or run off to Central America many years ago, except for St. Vincent.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I'm suprised no one has mentioned The Bahamas. I guess it IS the best kept secret afterall. Some of the other islands mentioned are nice but they are reall poor-man's vacation spots.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Drew - are you talking about Atlantis ????? Great place to take in opulence, but don't stray too far across the bridge ;)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
To see the real beauty of the Bahamas you must go to the non-touristy "family islands" - Nassau is nice if you like to party. I was in Abaco this past Xmas and absolutely loved it. Pink sand on some beaches - just beautiul!

Richard_T

Second Unit
We have just booked our wedding and honeymoon at eh Sandals Dunn's River resort and spa for two weeks. It sounds really nice and seems to get really good reviews from what I've seen and heard. Anyone else been to this resort or to Dunn's River in Jamaica?

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Matt_R wrote:
Hey, great photos Matt! Looks like you had a good time. Your villa looks like it's on the south side of the island facing St. Croix and near Chocolate Hole, just past the Westin. Great photos of Trunk Bay from the overlook. Brings back lots of (recent) memories. The photo of you drinking under the umbrella is downtown Cruz Bay right near Low Key Watersports where I do my scuba diving from. Next time you need to try THAT for an incredible experience!

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

Yes, we stayed at the "Fishbone" in Fishbay. Maybe a 10-15 (wild) ride from the Westin. What an island!

My girlfriend was freaked at night from all the bugs, noises, etc. She's a city girl, though -- I loved it.

We're already looking at where we're going to stay next time. We hope to go down with 2-3 more couples and rent one of those big "more is better" places :)

Scuba diving sounds great! Something I've always wanted to try. I've heard the scuba diving is better in the BVI? What do you think about that?

Thanks again for your help with the beaches. I think we found about 90 percent of them!

Matt

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, I haven't done any scuba diving in the BVI. There are trips out to the wreck of the British mailship Rhone (which was featured in the movie "The Deep"), but I haven't done any diving from the BVI themselves. Some very nice places right off of St. John. Funny about your girlfriend and the bugs and noises. I barely notice that stuff anymore when I'm down there. Glad you didn't hit any donkeys while driving-- they make for rather large roadkill. I remember coming around a blind corner at night and there were two donkeys lying in the middle of the road! BRAKES!! The photos never really capture how narrow, windy, and steep the roads are either. Sorry to hear about you bringing some friends down-- we keep telling people "Oh, it's a boring place with nothing to do" so we can keep others away and the island all to ourselves. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks