What's new

Best Live Concert That You Saw?? (2 Viewers)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Stevie Ray Vaughn with Johnny Winter opening and John Mayall opening for Mr Winter....

Talk about a night of ripping guitars !

Tim L

Second Unit
Queen-Boston Garden
Queen-Providence Civic center
Metallica- Foxboro Stadium
Kiss-Reunion Tour

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
The Amazing Royal Crowns, at Lupos in Providence, their very last show, a couple of years ago i think. they went on for hours, lots of energy, great show. a NASTY version of Gretschy was performed.

CJ

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Impossible to pick a single "best" show....

DEVO: "Total DEVO" Tour at the old 9:30 Club in Washington DC.
T-Bone Burnett: "Proof Through The Night" Solo acoustic tour old 9:30 Club in Washington DC.
Maria McKee: one of three or four shows she did in 1997. I saw it at you guessed it the new 9:30 Club in Washington DC.
Joe Jackson: "Heaven and Hell" tour at the Lincoln Theater, Washington DC - single front row seat bought 10 minutes before they opened the doors.
Bruce Cockburn: "Stealing Fire" tour 1985. - The best band I've ever seen him tour with. Wax Museum Washington DC.
Sam Phillips Opening for Bruce Cockburn's 1993(?) tour - She completely blew me away and I went out and bought all her albums. George Mason University Fairfax, VA.
U2 The Unforgettable Fire Tour- Cap Center Largo MD. Lone Justice opened and Maria McKee was extremely impressive.
Dave Matthews Band Pre-"Busted Stuff" mini-tour - MCI Center Washington DC. Kind of rusty and unprofessional, but that little "rough around the edges" performance did something nice for the whole show.
King Crimson Power To Believe Tour - The Birchmere Alexandria, VA.
Marshall Crenshaw 447 tour The Birchmere Alexandria, VA.
Iron Maiden Powerslave Tour 1984. Amazing theatrics and the music really surprised me - I had barely heard them before being offered a free ticket.

so many more.

Best single moment: Went to see the Steely Dan 1992(?) Tour that became a live album at a large open air arena. My friends and I didn't get there in time to lay out a blanket and get comfortable so there was no room for us. It sucked, we missed most of the show. There were scattered thunderstorms in the forecast. During the 5 minutes I stood at the very top of the hill looking down at the tiny Steely Dan, they played the song "Chain Lightning" and just as Donald was singing the words "Chain Lightning" the sky behind the band lit up with the real stuff. It was extremely cool.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Springsteen All eight shows I have seen.

Stevie Ray Vaugn Up in Alpine Valley the night he slipped away from us:frowning:

Big Head Todd and the Monsters Sister Sweetly Tour:b

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
KISS - Destroyer tour 1976 First concert ever. This was
just after Alive put them on the map.

Rush - Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres/Permanent Waves tours
all from 3rd row or less. Saw one show parked in
front of Alex Lifeson's amps. Hearing paid dearly
for that - I have pictures of this

ELP - Olympic Stadium Montreal Concert was recorded with 72
piece orchestr. Great Sound but Boring!

Aerosmith with GnR opening 1987 at Great Woods. Just as
GnR were taking off and Aerosmith was making their comeback

J Geils Band Orpheum theater. 1999 The Worcester Firefighter's benefit show. Peter Wolf said "we're supposed to stop by 11 but I don't think the firemarshal will shut us down..."

Jimmy Page/Robert Plant 1998. Never saw Zeppelin so this show was the best I could do. All songs from LZ I,2,3

John Arnett Jr.

Auditioning
Sup Peeps,

This may sound funny, but believe it or not. I must say that the best concert that I have been to was R.Kelly's "Down Low" Tour. It was at the old Capitol Center, just before the turn of the century.

I think that the combination of the songs, and the sound setup that day was "perfect". He had a live bad on stage, and for songs like "Your Body's Calling", it gave me an "Isley Brothers" feel. I was wishing the whole time that I had my minidisc recorder.

Just my $0.02

Peace...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Accept - 1983(They opened for Kiss and blew them off the stage)Just awesome live.

Death - 1996?

Slayer - 1991?

Snot - 1997 (Awesome,awesome live band. Opened for Soulfly.Too bad Lynn died, I thought this band was gonna be huge.Go buy their CD "Get Some")

Tim, I saw Kiss in 77 at Madison Squar Garden. My dad took me, I was in the 3d grade:)

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Pink Floyd outdoor at Wembley Stadium London (the tour that was released on video / album Delicate (?) Sound of Thunder)
Stage lighting / pyro / lasers reputedly £3million! - Awesome show !!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When I was visiting my parents in Fleet in 1989 I caught Elton John at Wembly Arena. That was a pretty spectacular show and a hell of a lot of fun to do while on vacation.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Tie between "Daisy Chainsaw" and My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult for the Confessions tour. Stereolab's tour for Emperor Tomato Ketchup was right up there too. Oh Oh. My Bloody Valentine was mindblowing. Slowdive every time I saw them (5+ times) also excellent.

Martin.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Martin
Cool, another "Daisy Chainsaw" fan, saw them many times around London in the 90s. Love your Money is a great single.

Memorable concerts include
Ronnie Lane Benefit with Eric Clapton, Page and Jeff Beck at the Cow Palace
The Clash English Beat Los Lobos and Pearl Harbour and the Explosions at SF Civic
The Who's Quadrophenia at Londons Hyde Park with David Gilmour On Guitar. Opening Bands were only Dylan with Ronnie Woods and Eric Clapton.
Rock against Racism in front of the Palace of the Versilles in Paris.
Courtney Love and Hole at the Broadwalk in Manchester England. Courtney ended the show by those elegant words, "Thanks Manchester you were a great fuck"
2nd day of the Us festival, the Clash's last performance in the USA and Wall of Vodoo's Ring of Fire were incredible
Muddy Water at the Stone in San Francisco in front of a crowd of about 50. He played like it was a packed Arena.
Nine Inch Nails at a small London Club
Beastie Boys at the Marquee in London
The Cure in Edinbourgh Scotland during their Disintegration Phase. Tiny Theater with great sound and 3rd row tickets and seeing Robert Smith up close made it amazing!

kevitra

Second Unit
Wondering how long ago these were, I did a google search to get the dates. Man it was a while ago...

These aren't the 'best', but memorable.

The Cure- Wish Tour - Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont IL. I love their music, but figured the show would be boring. They put on an incredible stage show and put a lot of emotion into every song.

Faith No More/Helmet - Duke Ellington Ballroom - Northern Illinois University - 20 September 1992. I was in high school, and this was my first real concert. Helmet rocked, as did FNM. I was now hooked on live shows.

Radiohead with Belly - Duke Ellington Ballroom - Northern Illinois University - 1993. Still in high school. The ballroom at NIU was the site of many incredible concerts. Radiohead was great, and I love Belly. Tanya and Thom played even played a few songs together.

Tori Amos - the recent tour at the Chicago Theater, and the Dew Drop Inn Tour 9/20/96 at the Coronado Theater in Rockford, IL. The show in Rockford was incredible. The venue is small, and we were in the first couple of rows. It was very intimate. The recent show at the Chicago Theater was also great - incredible acoustics and a great performance.

NIN with Marilin Manson - UIC pavillion, Chicago IL. NIN put on a very emotional show. During 'hurt' even the security guards were watching the huge screen playing a movie of destruction. MM was bad - had a strap-on and flopped around on stage. He wasn't 'in' yet, so not many people were into it.

Neds Atomic Dustbin - The Rave, Madison Wisconsin and a club in Chicago (don't remember) - around '94. Saw them 2 times in one week with good friends. Met Jon, the lead singer. High energy and fun shows.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Oingo Boingo 1984 Dead Man's Party Tour, various places in So.Cal.

Boingo Live was like your favorite beer, no matter where you were or what state you were in, you always knew they wouldnt let you down and make you feel great.

2.5 hours of unmatched excitement - they were really a lot of fun live.

Also saw them in 93 at the Aladdin Theatre in Vega$, not exactly as much energy as early - mid 80s but still fun.

DarrenH

Agent
Hey Kevitra

Ned's, I haven't heard them in ages! Thanks for reminding me of an awesome band (as I hop on Kazaa)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Count me in as another Ned's fan....saw them at the Warfield in SF with the Goo Goo Dolls and some others....funny thing was Neds was the headliner and the GGD were supporting.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Springsteen, 1999, Raleigh NC.
Pearl Jam, 1998, Raleigh NC.
U2, 1983, Boston MA.
10,000 Maniacs, Worchester MA, 1989.

NP: Radiohead, "Morning Bell."

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The Cure - Dream Tour 2000 - 1st row, was a dream come true for me and my wife, we are both HUGE Cure fans.

Tori Amos - On Scarlet's Walk Tour 2003 - i've seen her 4 times and this was by far the best, planning to catch the tour again in Dallas.

VNV Nation - Empires Tour - Such a powerful performance.

Pet Shop Boys - Nightlife Tour - The wife and I had so much fun at this show.

NIN - Fragile Tour - Such an incredible stage set. Was my thrid time to see NIN and this was easily the best.

The Murder City Devils - Thalema/Farewell Tour - Got to meet and hang out with the guys and they even dedicated a song to me and my friends, except during that song someone got on stage and tackled the lead singer and a huge fight broke out. After the fight got under control the band left, but came back and said that because we(my friends and I) had came so far to see them they were going to play our song and they did that and it rocked.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Best "mob experience" - Pearl Jam 1992 in Indio, CA: known to the bootleggers as "The shoes" concert! :)

Best "near religious" experience - Soundgarden 1996 Universal Amphitheater: Chris Cornell was on, on, on and SG ripped through 2+ hours of nearly non-stop music where his vocals spotlighted what was a band performing at its best.

Best "high energy" is a tie, and coincidentally both were at The Palladium in Hollywood - Faith No More circa 1993, and Audioslave 2003: Hey just noticed they were ten years apart! Anyway since it's a GA venue, the crowd really gets into the shows and both of these were like high-impact workouts to some killer live music.

Best "sit down and enjoy" concert - Dave Matthews Band at Irvine Meadows in 2001(? or was it 2000?) because it was my first year in their fanclub (charter member) and I got 3rd row seats just left of center and I could almost reach out and touch Dave. Their crew had monitors turned out to the pit area so, unlike most concerts in the pit, we could actually hear the vocals and instruments very clearly. Why don't more acts do this for those in the front? Oh, and it was a kick-ass near 3 hour set that had most of my favorite DMB songs.

Best "intimate" experiences - Glen Phillips (formerly of Toad the Wet Sprocket) playing at a small club called The Largo in Hollywood. I've seen him probably over 100 times there. Several times I'm so close I can put my feet up on his monitor (I don't, but I could).

Best "Holy Crap I'm Backstage!" experience - The XFest in San Diego a few years back, when Everclear, Marcy Playground and Social D were playing. I am friends w/ Marcy Playground and for that show I got a backstage pass. The view from back there is AWESOME! And I got to meet a lot of the acts. Way cool.

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Springsteen at the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh while travelling on business. Paid half price ($30) for a nosebleed seat in the rear upper corner and then got upgraded by the crew to second row center. I have seen Bruce about 4 times, but nothing beats being that close at a Bruce show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks