What's new

Best Live Concert That You Saw?? (1 Viewer)

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Tour at Kingswood Music Theatre at Canada's Wonderland.
When we got there, the stage was bare save for a lone mic stand at centre stage. I had thought we had the date wrong and were in for an evening with Nana Mouskouri ! ;)

Fortunately, as anyone who's seen the film can attest, that was not the case. It was brilliant !

DarrenH

Agent
Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour, Philly, 6/1994 - nuff said
The Dead w/ Bob Dylan opening Highgate, VT 6/1995 - Mostly due to the fact this holds major sentimental feelings as it was the last tour (Check a pic)
Red Hot Chili Peppers w/ Foo Fighters Californication Tour - 5/2000 Wilkes Barre, PA, just so much energry and a nice small venue

Midnight Oil -in a small club in Madison WI in the late 80's on the "Diesel & Dust" tour. Frighteningly excellent!

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen Prince twice, and they were awesome shows. I also have to give Aerosmith props. As far as those "cheesy 80's Shows" I really enjoyed Styx Paradise Theater tour.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Trey Anastasio solo in a small venue in Atlanta. Very intimate and just amazing. At one quiet point I yelled "TREY!!!" and he looked up and smiled at me. Stalkerish? perhaps but the show was amazing. The second set consisted of two songs!!!

Dave*WB

Auditioning
I have not been to very many concerts, but the best has been the latest one.

RUSH - Vapor Trails at the Minneapolis Target Center.

They were in top form, Dave

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Wings Over America Tour
The Doobie Brothers Farewell Concert (#1)
Bonnie Rait & Bruce Hornsby @ The Concord Pavillion
Genesis @ Texas Stadium
Kenny Loggins @ The Majestic Theater
Don Henley @ Starplex

Paul D Young

Second Unit
War and Maceo Parker at the Cubby Bear in Chicago.

It was two separate shows that they combined after not having sold enough tickets to either. Maceo was the best act I've seen for an opener and then War was the best I have ever seen period.

JordanS

Second Unit
I am extremely jealous of the people who say the Division Bell concert, or any other Pink Floyd concert--------I am too young unfortunately----

I have seen Page and Plant live------which was awesome---

Bill Prince

Agent
Rachel, I'm glad you reminded me about the Dixie Dregs. I saw them twice, once they opened up for the Doobies and once for the Little River Band (That was an odd one for sure). Steve Morse is a highly underrated composer and player. As you know, he is now the lead guitar player for Deep Purple and he adds a lot of punch to that bunch.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I saw Joe Jackson twice on his Night and Day II Tour, and both shows were unbelievable. Too bad the new DVD doesn't do the show justice. Peter Gabriel on the Us Tour was pretty amazing, too.

Probably the best concert I've seen, though, was Yes and Kansas at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center a few summers ago. Kansas was supporting their amazing Somewhere to Elsewhere album, Yes was on their legendary Masterworks tour, and we were in the third row. I mean, Yes played "Ritual" and "The Gates of Delirium;" they OPENED with "Close to the Edge" for Pete's sake.

But I saw Phil Keaggy solo live about five years ago... If you know Keaggy, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, there's no way for me to describe to you the impossible things he does with a guitar.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Saw Jerry Garcia a couple of times in the late 70's at Armadillo World Headquaters in Austin. Although not billed as Grateful Dead, various members usually accompanied him. Long shows and lot's of smoke in the air. :wink:

Both Roy Buchanan and Frank Zappa gave some great shows at the Armadillo.

Seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn at various clubs around Austin in his early years was simplay amazing.

Dire Straits at the Austin Opry House when Willie owned it in the late 70's was very memorable, as was Joe Cocker and Bonnie Raitt.

Then again, getting to see Bob Marley before he died was unforgettable.

Perhaps the most truly emotionally, spine tingling, goosebump raising artistic experience, though, may have been seeing Townes Van Zandt unplugged at a small tavern in Austin. He was a true poet and songwriter that bared his soul when he sang.

Geez! It looks like all my favorites are dead now...Am I that much of an old geezer?

I do listen to and like my teenagers taste in music and would even go to their warp tours with them if they wouldn't be embarrassed!
:frowning:

KrisM

Second Unit
I just picked up tickets to see Honeyboy Edwards in a couple of weeks. Not a big name, but he was a contemporary of Robert Johnson. The chance to see a real delta bluesman live is always a treat. And the venue only holds 60 people so it should be a good night. April 1st is turning out to be a good music day for me with the Beatles Anthology, Wilco's DVD and this show.
Its good to have a thread like this mixed in with all the arguing about formats. Kind of makes us remember why we spend so much money on all this equipment.:)
Brian, seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bob Marley? I am truly jealous. Marley is one of my all-time favs and I missed seeing Vaughan before he died because I couldn't talk my dad into making the 8 hour trip to see him. I remind him of this on a pretty regular basis.
I did see Marley's band the Wailers about 7 years ago and it was a good show. There were 3 or 4 original members and they did an excellent job of Marley's songs. Not the same as seeing Bob himself obviously, but it was a good time.

Regards
KrisM

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Best concert for me was seeing Simon & Garfunkel in November 1969, with seats front row, center. The best concert experience of my life. This is the tour that they introduced Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

I am going to see Crosby, Stills, and Nash next month. I am looking forward to this. I have been a huge CSN fan, but have never seen them in concert.

I would guess this might be the last time they tour, unless they start doing a Nursing Home curcuit in a few years. ;) In that case I will probably be there and have an opportunity to see them again.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Pink Floyd, Division Bell tour. June 1994, in Toronto. I still remember that there were gold lasers there that were banned in the USA. Oh, and the show was fantastic, gold lasers or not!
-Erik

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
For big venue, Pink Floyd, Division Bell tour, Foxborough.
Prince's Lovesexy was cool too.

Small venue: Cowboy Junkies last fall for their Open tour in Somerville. Simply beautiful.
Talking Heads in Paris back in '82.
I saw the Ramones three times, and always had fun.

Clint B

Second Unit
My faves:

Springsteen & the E Street Band (the "Reunion" and "Rising" tours; I preferred the "Reunion" show)--both in Dallas

Springsteen acoustic show ("Tom Joad" tour)--Dallas

Brave Combo/Cowboys and Indians (local bands who played at the now defunct club called Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth, Texas)

Tori Amos ("Strange Little Tour")--Dallas

Garth Brooks (don't laugh) in Nacogdoches, Texas in the late 80's/early 90's

Peter Gabriel ("Secret World Live" tour)--Dallas

Norah Jones (2002 tour)--Dallas (she was a bit nervous, but she and her band were simply amazing)

Eric Clapton (1992 or '93--can't remember)--Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks