What's new

Best Hopes for TV DVD's in 2011 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JamesSmith
Guys, Do you think the majority of our most beloved stuff is already out on DVD? I don't know.

James

My guess is, yes, overall as I think we've seen the peak of the classic TV/DVD era but we're still seeing some great releases with the LITB set among them, with the upcoming 70's Bionic series (R1) releaes coming later. I think it's a situation where we'll still see some good things coming but the frequency of releases has decreased. I don't see a return to the glory days of the past few years of continuing news announcements of the older show releases.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
All In The Family - The Mike and Gloria years. I wish Sony would finish All In The Family at least through when Mike and Gloria left for California. That was really the end of All In The Family even though they kept the name for one more year before changing the name to Archie Bunker's Place.

Mary Tyler Moore so close to finishing

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Regulus

You accidentally reversed the first two stars of the show. Seasons 1 to 3 had Tommy Rettig as Jeff Miller. He continued into the first part of Season 4, when Jon Provost as Timmy joined the series as an orphan who came to live with the Millers. About a third of the way into that 1957-58 season, the Millers moved away and left Lassie with Timmy (which I refuse to believe could ever happen in real life) and the Martins, who adopted him.

Season 4 was left out of syndication because the Martins were originally played by Cloris Leachman and Jon Shepodd, but they were fired and replaced by June Lockhart and Hugh Reilly, starting in Season 5.

Tommy Rettig would be 68 if he had lived, but he died at the age of 54, probably from years of abusing drugs. Jon Provost is now 60. If the original Lassie were still alive, he'd be about 420 in dog years. (As everyone knows, Lassie was a girl, but always played by male dogs.)

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
The best written drama series in tv history should come out on dvd. It boggles the mind that BEN CASEY has not been released on dvd.

Jeff Lynn

Auditioning
What about:

Automan

The rest of Amazing Stories

Cliffhangers

The Highwayman

Batman (66')

Airwolf II

Bionic Six

The Dark Secret Of Harvest Home

The rest of The Fall Guy

Freddy's Nightmares

Houston Knights

Shazam!

Silverhawks

Spenser: For Hire

The rest of Vega$

Andy Y

Grip
I'd like to see:

1. "Something is Out There" mini-series (Columbia TV)

2. Monsters (Laurel Entertainment)

3. Perversions of Science (HBO)

4. Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (DiC Ent.) - Joe Straczynski writer

5. Nelvana Ltd productions:

a) Cosmic Christmas

b) Devil and Daniel Mouse

c) Runaway Robots! Romie-O and Julie-8

d) Intergalactic Thanksgiving

e) Easter Fever

f) Take Me Up to the Ball Game

6. The Highwayman (20the Century Fox)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

My guess is, yes, overall as I think we've seen the peak of the classic TV/DVD era but we're still seeing some great releases with the LITB set among them, with the upcoming 70's Bionic series (R1) releaes coming later. I think it's a situation where we'll still see some good things coming but the frequency of releases has decreased. I don't see a return to the glory days of the past few years of continuing news announcements of the older show releases.

As usual, I agree with Jeff. There have been some extremely pleasant surprises this year (LITB being the biggest one for me), but the overall quantity of what I'd consider "Classic" TV on DVD has dropped. In fact, if not for Shout, Timeless and CBS/P, we'd be looking at a serious drought of vintage fare.

My Best Hopes for 2011? Hmmm. If I'm truly trying to use a little logic and not just throw out a wishlist of stuff (much of which I know will almost assuredly never get released), then here are my thoughts.

I think CBS/P might complete The Fugitive and The Untouchables before this year is up, but if not then I'd say those two are locks for completetion next year. I'd also like to believe that Fox would somehow manage to get that last Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea set out. And if for some reason our friends working on Steve Canyon's last volume don't finish it this year then I've got to believe they'll find a way to get it done in 2011. These are all shows that I think might still be finished up before New Year's Eve of this year, but if not then I've got to think next year they'll get done.

Some other CBS volumes I feel confident will see in 2011 include:

The Lucy Show

Hawaii Five-O

Matlock

Perry Mason

Mannix

Gunsmoke

I'd like to add things like Rawhide, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Barnaby Jones, Phil Silvers, Happy Days, Love American Style, and Family Ties. I think any of these are a possibility, but none are a given like I believe the ones above are.

Shout seems committed to finishing up Father Knows Best and Mr. Ed so I've got to list them. I'm guessing we'll see more Ironside as well.

I'd like to believe that Smore would get the last season of Mr. Peepers out, but that one might be more of a long shot.

My actual wishlist of shows I'd personally like to see come out next year would be long and boring to most, so I'll stop here.

Gary "take care, everybody" O.

shuckyducky

Auditioning
Real Name
keith
Hopefully, Warner Brothers will stopping playing with us and release the entire Mama's Family series on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I genuinely completely forgot about Early Edition, Hotel and Quincy, ME when making my last post. The last season set of Early Edition came out on Region 1 around twelve months ago, and Quincy, ME's third season was released in the summer of last year.

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
i would like to seE:

kung fu ledgen countie

seven days

martia law

jurany man

More

Early Edition

perfect stragners

Boy meets world

MAMMS FAMILY MOSTLY WANITING THE BUBBY YEARS

NIGHT COURT

Welcome back ,kottoer

pection juction color epsidoes

FAMILY TIES

one hadn't made it:

court ship of eddies father

empty nest

major dad

promise land spin off form Touch by an angel

LCD22

Screenwriter
Shout! Factory released an unedited and remastered Rhoda: Season Two (my favorite season out of the entire series) and after three years of badgering CBS/Paramount, they came through with MacGyver: The TV Movies - no tennis rackets were required. I'm hoping next for "Danger Bay" in 2011.

I have many more hopes for next year (several already mentioned), but like Gary OS, it could get too long. But the one thing I also like to see is these words: "rights issue with the Max Shulman estate resolved, official studio release on the way for Dobie!"

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

I have many more hopes for next year (several already mentioned), but like Gary OS, it could get too long. But the one thing I also like to see is these words: "rights issue with the Max Shulman estate resolved, official studio release on the way for Dobie!"

I was going to say I was surprised you hadn't mentioned Early Edition (the third and fourth seasons). I'm assuming Early Edition was one of the "several already mentioned", as you've championed the show on here. I would say "so near and yet so far", but CBS DVD have only released half of Early Edition so far. I've found it disappointing that the third season wasn't going to be released around the same time the first and second seasons were released in 2008 and 2009 respectively (June or July). The third and fourth seasons are the ones which I've hardly seen any of (Sky 1 premiered the second to fourth seasons in the UK).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I think (I think, because I'm speculating --not because I have any insider news from anybody--this is just me ponticating)

From Viviendi:

Far Out Space Nutes

Lost Saucer

ElectraWoman and DynaGirl

Dr. Shrinker

Sigmund collection 2

excerpts from Kroft Supershow

Starman. I think Paramount owns the property. It's a one season show and shouldn't be too hard to put out, and it's pretty high on the amazon. com wishlist.

Frank's Place

Brooklyn Bridge

I'm Dickens, He's Fenster

Have all been rumored to be in the works in various stages. May take a few years, but attention has been drawn to them.

I think. . (again I think) there's some chance they might come out in 2011 or later.

James

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Forgive my ignorance, because I haven't read about or posted about it on the HTF, but who owns the rights to Frank's Place? I'm interested in this series because Tim Reid starred in this series after he left Simon & Simon.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Starman. I think Paramount owns the property. It's a one season show and shouldn't be too hard to put out, and it's pretty high on the amazon. com wishlist.

Actually it's owned by Sony. It's my most wanted show on DVD. There's always a chance Sony could license it to Shout! but so far Shout! hasn't seemed too interested in releasing it. As a 1 season wonder sci fi show with no music issues, it shouldn't be too hard to release. It would fit in well with Shout's Max Headroom set soon to be coming.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

I was going to say I was surprised you hadn't mentioned Early Edition (the third and fourth seasons). I'm assuming Early Edition was one of the "several already mentioned", as you've championed the show on here. I would say "so near and yet so far", but CBS DVD have only released half of Early Edition so far. I've found it disappointing that the third season wasn't going to be released around the same time the first and second seasons were released in 2008 and 2009 respectively (June or July). The third and fourth seasons are the ones which I've hardly seen any of (Sky 1 premiered the second to fourth seasons in the UK).

I started to but to be honest with you, because I've been championing this series, I'm a bit fearful of these final two seasons. For example "Monster Mash" has been replaced on both "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch" and on one other series in the past, hopefully this will give them more time to secure it on Bob Brush's third season episode "Halloween". "Early Edition" is one of the rare CBS DVD releases they haven't messed up (yet). (I fully expect The Chambers Brothers' "Time Has Come Today" fourth season opening credit theme to be replaced with W.G. Snuffy Walden's as shown in syndication. It's a rather cost prohibitive song to clear, and very difficult to get the rights to. With CBS DVD doing a bang up job securing the music thus far, realistically, it'd be near impossible.)

However, I hope we'll see the Rod Serling ending to the second season's "Hot Time in the Old Town" (Syfy showed it in syndication in rotation for the first time several months ago since the original broadcast, oddly they kept Kyle's third season opening voiceover, who disliked doing them, but dropped Shanesia Davis-Williams'; I'm hoping they won't replaced all five opening credits on the DVD) included as an extra in one of these sets. And I would like to see "Time" (originally intended to be the series' final broadcast) placed last.

I know doubt the first two seasons has sold well for them and it seems, from my point of view, they don't want to just throw this one out on the schedule. They know that the show has a diverse and loyal following if it continues to receive the same treatment as the prior releases. (Note to CBS/Paramount: you might want to grab Kyle Chandler for commentaries now that he's wrapping "Friday Night Lights". One of his personal favorite episodes is "Fate" and he adds "producer" in the fourth season; can't think of a better time to hear from him. And years before ABC's short-lived fan favorites "October Road" and the U.S. version of "Life on Mars", André Nemec and Josh Appelbaum were story editors and also credited for writing "Wild Card" and "Snow Angels", which makes this final season a must-see to own.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks