What's new

Best home theater speakers for $1000 and under (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking to possible upgrading my Yamaha Speakers -- NS-A200XT, NS-AC143, and surround sound speakers (number slips me). The only thing I am going to keep for now is my sub.

I was looking at the Klipsch -- models carried at Best Buy (though I could order them cheaper).

These speakers are strictly used for movies, DVDs, etc.

Any opinions welcomed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Question for you guys...

Since I have a 12" sub, do I need to go bigger than 6.5" woofers in any of the standing tower speakers?

Does that also mean I can stick with two-way speakers?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
1. No.
2. Sure, if that's what you prefer. Your sub can take care of the lower end.

Also, as a Paradigm owner, I would suggest a listen to some of their Monitor(Mini's, 3's, 5's) series speakers if a dealer is near you.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Wayne --- I'm thinking I can save a few more bucks that way. If I can do this under $1000, all the better.

Also, what do you guys think of the Klipsch Synergy?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Klipsch is well regarded, but has it's own distinct sound that you'll love or hate. Many describe them as "forward", kinda in your face sound IMO. Best thing to do is listen locally to what's offered to see what you like best.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
PSB is another good brand to take a look at as is Mirage.

I went with these:

They were around that price, the mains list for $1k or 1200 I can't remember. I bought a 7.1 system(minus sub) for $1800(with tax) which included a new center and 2 sets of rears. IF I wanted to go a 5.1 system, I could slice off about $400 or so.

Here is their entire line:
http://www.phasetech.com/cgi-bin/ind...cat=2&child=16

Not many have heard of them but they are very high value high quality speakers. 10 yr warranty and the guy who invented the soft dome tweeter is one of their founders. I counted atleast 10 dealers in Michigan so you should be covered if you wish to audition them.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Eric, how exactly do you get a Salk set-up for $1000? The center alone is $649......what am I missing here?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, but if my local CC has them, I am going to audition them. They look really cool!!! :)

I am so far not a big Polk speaker fan, but these may just be able to change my perception on that.

I look for different attributes in a speaker than most people do, I think anyways. The flattest response seems to get me everytime.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm so out of my relhm here.. I am not a big fan of tower speakers. I will defer to those that have much more experience with them.

I like large Bookshelfs and tend to gravitate the people I know and help out with this stuff towards them as well.

James Phung

Second Unit
I'm using Infinity Alphas all around in my room and they sound great. The Alpha line was replaced by the Beta line and are almost identical. You may still be able to find the Alphas on clearance at CC. I got my ALpha 50s for $440/pair (retail $1000/pair). One of the differences between the Beta and Alphas are that the newer Beta line comes with metal grills. I've seen many reports where people prefer the Betas while listening with the grills off. Be sure to take them off when you demo them at CC.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Infinity's are not bad. They just can get a bit shrill(to me).

Polk's IMHO don't. Their RTI series is in that range too.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
AlanZ,
re: Salk set up.
i said you could start a great ht set for $1000 for 2 mains.
if you got the HTS-MT kits (very easy assembly), you would be on your way for close to $1k + shipping. you could then add the other pieces as you can afford them.
Jim Salk is great to work with and his customized quality is light years beyond most bricks and mortar offerings.
i have a HTS-MTM for my 3 fronts and the soundstage is the best i have heard. i'll post a complete review soon.
a great ht is a long term investment. Jim's superb speakers will fill the bill (and kill the dreaded upgrade bug).
best,
eric

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
The kits are easy to asemble for some and near impossible for others. You can buy a lotta good speakers in this price range. AV123 is a good one. Ascend another.
I don't want to build a speaker to audition it. There are very few Salk speakers in existence so the possiblity of an audition is pretty slim.
I consider my Ascend 340's a long term "investment." YMMV.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks