1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Hangover Cure?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Magnus T, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Magnus T

Magnus T Well-Known Member

So... does anybody have one?

People will tell you to drink lots of water, but that has never worked for me.

Would love to hear some idea's.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

Caffeine and Lots of water. I find a giant glass of water and Excedrin Migraine do wonders!

3. MarkMel

MarkMel Well-Known Member

Gatorade, replace those electrolytes. And food even if you don't feel like eating. And advil.

The only thing that really works is to have a beer. Fixes you right up but could lead to problems. [​IMG]

4. Robbie R

Robbie R Well-Known Member

I second the Gatorade.
    Drink lots of it!!!!

It works even better if you drink it BEFORE you go to bed.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

My ex would even drink Gatorade when she was sick, rundown, or just feeling blah.

6. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

The simplest cure is don't drink in the first place. [​IMG]

Oh yes, and remember that the morning after getting drunk, the chances are high that you are still over the legal limit for driving. Just because you don't feel drunk doesn't mean that your reactions and judgement are those of a sober person.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Well-Known Member

I'll have to third this. One of the main causes of a hangover is dehydration and electrolyte loss. By doing this before you go to bed, you've given your body a chance to recover and you may even get some real sleep.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

Water, greasy food, alcohol...[​IMG]

I was still buzzed once after I woke up, and remained buzzed for a few hours. Lots of water, steak, fries, and Jamba Juice helped get rid of the hangover. [​IMG]

9. EarleD

EarleD Well-Known Member

I always found that a McDonalds breakfast with a large orange Hi-C works wonders.

10. Bryan X

Bryan X Well-Known Member

Silica. 'Nuff said.

11. Jim_F

Jim_F Well-Known Member

These things that have eliminated hangovers for me (I would only endorse the last one)

-Time

-Very hard physical labor very early in the morning

-2 Dexamyls and 3 Empirin #4s

-Switch to opiates

-Don't get intoxicated on anything in the first place (this one has stood the test of time)

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Well-Known Member

Yeah, best one I've found so far is to stay up an extra hour or two, finish a tumbler or so of water/juice/gatorade/(non alcoholic bev), and pop two aspirin before hitting the sack. Doesn't totally wipe out a hangover, but takes it down a notch or three.

If you are really, really drunk praying to the porcelin gods before starting that process can help as well.

13. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

I would liked to see some medical studies on that one. I find it hard to believe that after a night's sleep that the chances of you still being over the legal limit are high.

If that's the case you probably would have had to been dangerously intoxicated to the point where alcohol poisoning would have been a real concern.

14. Jim_F

Jim_F Well-Known Member

Alcohol metabolism varies a lot by individual, some variables are genetics, weight, frequency of alcohol use and medication history. Bottom line, alcohol is eliminated at a steady rate of grams per hour as opposed to most other drugs which have "half-lives"

For an illustration, we can use the old rule of thumb from driver's ed. That recommends allowing 1 hour to metabolize 1 serving of alcohol. Obviously, if a person pounds down 8 doubles in an evening (hey, if we're talking about hangovers, we're most likely not discussing light drinking) it could easily take more than a typical night's sleep to get below the legal limit.

15. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Well-Known Member

Go the gym. Bust some ass. Expect your energy to be lower, but still go hard. No cardio stuff - move some iron.

Works for me.

16. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Well-Known Member

pho

17. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Well-Known Member

Plain bagels with butter. Nuked, not toasted, and ginger ale.

18. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Well-Known Member

Oh, and about a dozen times the safe limit for ibuprofen. (Well, I do it to myself...take this with a grain of salt, and at you own risk.)

19. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

A quick search on Google or MedLine will give you all the answers you need.

20. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

Alka-Seltzer, preferably before you go to bed as well as after. If you throw up the Alka-Seltzer, go back to bed for the day is lost.

Seriously, if Alka-Seltzer made us feel as good when we are sober as it does when we are hungover, it'd be illegal. Get the flavored ones if you need training wheels. I've found the cold medicine variety works as good as the regular, sometimes better because it contains antihistamines.