1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best DVD player??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Myram, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Myram

Myram Well-Known Member

I'm getting a new Panasonic 50" plasma, and I would like to know what the best DVD player would be to go with it.

I currently have a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, and it works great and looks great............but I'm curious if a newer model is any better.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Well-Known Member

Hi Steve - the RP-91 is an excellent DVD player. If you are looking for top a DVD Player today I would probably recommend the Denon DVD-2930CI.

Review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...dvd2930ci.html

For a budget Upconverting DVD Player you may want to consider the Oppo 970, Oppo 971, Denon DVD-1730 or Denon DVD-1930CI. Enjoy!

3. Myram

Myram Well-Known Member

I guess what I'm asking is..........

Will my RP-91 give me the best picture with the 50" plasma? or should I replace it?

How is the Panasonic DVD-S97S?

Steve

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Well-Known Member

First I would find out what scaling your tv implements on the DVD input. Find what type it uses and also how good it is. If you have a tv with a very good scaler, then getting a budget upconverting player may not suit your needs. If you find you tv has a descent to good scaler I would keep your present player. Flagship players generally have a purer output and better black levels. Take the cheap players, they are OK, but the quality of parts and how they are used can degrade the video before it even reaches the upconverter, even so we don't know if the upconversion in the player is superior to the one in your tv.

I would do some digging on your tv and budget upconverting players to see which one has the superior upconversion or scaling.

5. Myram

Myram Well-Known Member

Between the Panasonic s97s or the Oppo 970.........which would be best for the Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" plasma?

I like the looks of both, and the reviews of the Oppo are very good.

Steve

6. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

The S97 is well known to produce macroblocking with plasmas. I'd stick with the 970.

7. Myram

Myram Well-Known Member

I ended up going with the S97S. After reading a bunch of reviews, the Oppo was good.......but the looks just didn't do it for me, it looks like a cheap WalMart unit.

The Panasonic got great reviews online, and the price was good too.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

8. Alon Goldberg

Hi Steve - I wouldn't judge a DVD player simply by its aesthetics.. wouldn't you rather have the best performing player for your dollar? But in any case, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the Panny. [​IMG]

9. Myram

Myram Well-Known Member

From what I've read on AVS about the s97s, it's a great player. There have been some issues with it, but the firmware updates seem to be fixing them.

I know looks aren't everything, but with a 9 year old putting movies in the dvd player..........I need something built solid.

Steve

10. Blair G

Blair G Well-Known Member

Alon,

Have you had any hands on experience with the 2930?

I saw it at a local dealer on Friday. I was impressed but then again I liked the Pioneer DV-79 when I saw it too.

11. Alon Goldberg

Blair - Dave H is the expert, he has auditionned the 2930 [​IMG] The previous Denon 2910 and new 2930 are easily best-of-breed for their price range, they are truly dream players from everyone I know who has owned or auditionned them.

12. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I've not used the Pioneer, but based my knowledge of these chipsets, the Denon will have better deinterlacing and scaling. Someone on the AVS forum prefered his 2930 to his Pioneer 79AVi for image quality.

In addition, the 2930 has phenomenal 480p output. This may be ideal for displays that can display native 480p (CRTs and plasmas come to mind). Upscaling can actually hurt the image on some displays that can do native 480p.

I've used a lot of DVD players including the Panasonic XP-30, Oppo 970, Oppo 971, Toshiba HD-A1, Denon 2900, Denon 3910, Sony 9100ES and many others. The Denon 2930 is the best to date. It doesn't "blow away" some of those others - but it is better.

13. Blair G

Blair G Well-Known Member

This is good to hear. I am still very curious about the 3930 though. I figure the video may be close but I suspect the audio (which is important to me) will be a step up.

14. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I too think the audio will be better with the 3930.