What's new

best DVD player under $150 (1 Viewer)

Chris_harpua

Agent
Im going to be purchasing a new dvd player in a few months to replace my broken one i have now. I will only have a budget of about $150 max to spend on this and wanted to know which are a few of the better ones in terms of video, audio options, and reliability. I want it to have component video outputs as well as either digital coax or optical for audio. Progressive scan isnt necessary as i dont own a hi definition television and probably wont be getting one for at least a few years. I dont want a cheap (under $50) one though. I just need a few suggestions, 4 or 5 should do. Thanks. :)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Try a JVC XV-N50BK, they are on sale a lot right now for $80 or so. The only better progressive scan models cost $300 or more.

Chris_harpua

Agent
cnet reviews say that the JVC XV-N50BK has stuttering problems during playback and over half the people on that site dont recommend it. i was looking at that one for a while until i read that, now im kinda skeptical about it.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
I'd check out the Pioneer 363. It's basically the same as the higher-end 563, except it lacks SACD/DVD-A support. The 563 has received generally enthusiastic reviews for its picture quality.

There are also a new batch of Panasonic players coming out in April, though the word's still out on their quality.

Mike Co

Agent
The Pioneer 563-As is $149 at Best Buy and can't be beat for the price, especially if you want to check out surround audio. Excellent bang for buck.

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
Weird, I just posted a thread about the XV-N50BK. I've had it for nearly a month. The stuttering is noticeable sometimes which, led me to believe it was only certain discs. Now I just discovered all these reviews (CNet, Amazon) that talk about the stuttering and it seems it's actually the player. I'm days away from losing the chance to return it. What should I swap it for? Durnit!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I took back a JVC XV-N50BK months ago and replaced it with a used Panasonic XP30 I managed to nab on EBAY - its great. I see there are several XP30's listed as brand new/unopened units on EBAy right now - go for one of them!

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have the previous model of the N50BK - the JVC XV-SA600BK. For the $89 I paid, it is one hell of a deal. Why? I compared it with a NAD 521i CD player on a Rotel and Marantz amp and I could not hear an audible difference. The JVC can also do DVD-A. If you look around it can still be found for about $100.

There were some posts Ive seen on HTF talking about a display problem with the 600BK but I cant quite remember it ATM (try doing a search). So far I have not had any problems, I guess probably since Im not looking for it. I just bought the entire X-Files boxset and using it daily and it hasnt hiccuped once yet. One feature I really like about this player is the auto 10 sec rewind feature by just hitting the play button - cant live without it now. ;)A very nice and solidly built player for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks