What's new

Best DVD-Player for $200-300? Without the Chroma Bug. (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a great DVD player for around $400. It will be combined with a Pioneer SD-643HD5 64" RPHD TV (1080i). I know there have been known issues with DVD players having the Chroma Bug and other problems. I want the best for $400. Am I able to get a good DVD player for this price. My entire system is Pioneer and was hoping to get a Pioneer DVD, but I have not read any good reviews for them. I do not care about SACD. I would like DVD-RW playback capability.

Also, is using a Digital coax or optical cable better than using a DVD players 5.1 channel output? My receiver has 5.1 channel input.

Someone who knows DVD players, please give me some options.
I need a good player quickly becuase my Pioneer DV-434 died on me.
Thanks,

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend the top-rated Faroujda-based Panasonic XP30. I got one a few months ago on EBAY for $250.

Eric_Bender

Agent
After reading posts on this forum and doing feature comparison, I decided to get the Harman Kardon DVD101. The high quality sound and video reproduction sold me on the unit. I compared it to the Denon DVD910, Panasonic D4743K, and others.

Vanns has it on sale for 237 w/ free shipping. The price is a 20% savings off of retail due to being a model being replaced by the DVD 31, due out soon. I should receive the unit in about a week. I will keep you posted on my thoughts.

I recommend you search this forum for reviews on the DVD101.

Eric Bender

TV: Sony 32" WEGA KV32FS100
Amp: Adcom GFA545
Preamp: Adcom GTP500II
Speakers (Front): Boston Acoustics A150
No Surround Sound Yet

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of de-interlacer does the Harman Kardon DVD101 have?
I was considering that DVD player for a while and posted several messages about it, but no one seemed to know too much about the HK players.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Harman Kardon DVD-100 is listed in the big Secrets DVD Benchmark and is way down the list in the ratings. It uses the old National Semiconductor Mediamatics de-interlacer, which is poor and is also used in the cheap JVC players. No way can it compare with the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer used in the Denon DVD-910, Mitsubishi DD-8040, and Panasonic XP30 models.

Eric_Bender

Agent
They have not specified which one they are using. In searchiong out the Owners Manual from the online .pdf file this was all I could find out.

"On the video side, the DVD 101 offers progressive
scan video outputs for use with digital “HDTV-Ready”
display monitors. Using a high-speed, single-chip
digital processor, the DVD 101 is capable of reconstructing
the 3/2 pulldown effect introduced when
film-based programs are transferred to video. In
conjunction with precision video output DACs, the
end result is a full 60-frame-per-second image that is
the closest thing to film this side of your local cinema.
Of course, conventional Y/Pr/Pb component video,
S-Video and composite video outputs are also available
for use with analog televisions and video projectors."

The Video DACs are 10bit MPEG2. I pulled the following review of the DVD25, which is functionally equivalent to the DVD101.

"The video processor (from National Semiconductor Mediamatics) is a 10-bit/54MHz part when used in prog form, but it operates in 10-bit/27MHz with the standard output. With an interlaced signal from the S-video or RGB outputs, the picture quality is good; with very low chroma and luma noise levels, as well as strong, well saturated colours. Shadow detail is good too, aided no doubt by the low video noise levels. The picture definition is unlikely to disappoint. Overall, the DVD25 is a pleasing video player."

Hope that helps

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Secrets DVD Benchmark gives details on the de-interlacer in the HK DVD-101 and gives it a low rating. Indeed its the Mediamatics de-interlacer, a poor flag-reader that can't come close to the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer. Check out the info on the HK DVD-101 here:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

The HK DVD-101 is basically the same design as the much cheaper JVC model XV-N50BK which is under $100. At the >$200 price of the HK DVD-101, you could go for a much higher quality Faroudja-based model.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Great thread!
Does anyone know the 'benifits' of the Faroudia Fli2310, as on the Denon DVD 5900, vs. the Fli2200 decoding engine, as the rest of the Denon line uses?

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I am having trouble finding the Panasonic XP-30 or the XP-50 available anywhere except Ebay.

Is there a Panasonic Model that is either of the same quality or better anywhere on the Web? Help- I need to get this soon. What other models does Panasonic make that have the great visual performance with the added items as posted in this thread?

Thanks for the help!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No the XP30 and XP50 were the last models from Panasonic with the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer. All of the current models use a low quality cheap one now. EBAY is your best bet or Sharper Image.

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Don, I found one for a total including shipping for $350. Do you think it is worth it? Are there any comparable DVD Players coming out within the next month that are just as good?
Thanks,

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No there are no other models even close for under $600, so I'd recommend going for it. Even at $350 the XP30 is worth it.

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I found another one, only it is used. They guy wants $215 total and claims it is in good working and comsetic condition. Maybe I should buy this one too just in case the new one fails down the road.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The XP50 adds support for DVD-audio format discs and DVD-RAM format read capability. I didn't need that stuff, so I went with the cheaper XP30. I got a used XP30 on EBAY a few months ago for $250 and it was in like-new condition with low hours usage. It works great.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Just my two cents, but $350 seems a little steep.
It would be a steal if we could assume that DVD player technology has ceased to advance and the XP30 is as good as it's going to get.
As with all technology, we know that this is not true. There will be continuing improvements and advances that will replace current technology. That's just the nature of the beast.
In fact, there's already an LG DVD player coming out (I apologize, I can't remember the model number) that is rumored to have a Faroudja de-interlacer, a DVI out, and a built in HDTV tuner. If memory serves my correctly, I believe it's supposed to be priced in the $450-$550 range. If this is true, there's probably no better bang for the buck.
Don't get me wrong, I too am a new owner of the XP30 (paid $227 for an all-region model), but I think the pricing has gotten out of hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.