What's new

Best Documentaries (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I agree with that, but unfortunately this great documentary has not been released to DVD.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Hoop Dreams : It was apparently released briefly in the UK. I can't seem to find it though..

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Hoop Dreams is available on DVD in the Uk... I picked it up for about £4.99 a few months back. Ona related note, is Stevie availble? This was a great another great doc from Steve James.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I would like to recommend a film called "Jupiter's Wife," which I believe is about to be released on DVD. It is the story of an odd (possibly Schizophrenic), homeless woman who lives in NY's Central Park with a pack of dogs. She is very charming and smart, but speaks almost entirely in metaphors -- claiming, among other things, to be Jupiter's wife. The film maker who made this documentary got completely captivated by her and in the process of researching her history made some very surprising discoveries about her life and her past. It is an amazing piece of work and an interesting look at the complex and often tragic influences on the human psyche.

I recently read a review of a documentary made about some famous skateboarder who was convicted of the murder of his girl friend. I cannot remember the title of this film. Does anyone here know it?

Thanks,

Deborah

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Wow! Forgot about Beyond the Mat, that is an excellent one. They have a SE DVD coming soon.

Recently saw The Fog of War and that was really good. Looking forward to a DVD release of that.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

That seems a bit odd that a movie about an all-American sport of basketball is only avaiable in the UK.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
THE CIVIL WAR: A FILM BY KEN BURNS
THE THIN BLUE LINE
HOOP DREAMS
WACO: THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (don't know if this is on DVD or not -- it's on cable every now and then)
PARADISE LOST
SHOAH
A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME

Those should do the trick.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
When "Titanic" finally gets an SE, I'm sure there will be a pretty good one, but in the mean time, is there a great documentary on DVD about the history and sinking of the Titanic?

A Personal Journey Through American Film With Martin Scorsese is a fascinating and loving tribute to hollywood films and artist they helped to create.

Also, I love Grey Gardens (Criterion), Fast Cheap and Out of Control, Visions of Light!!!

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

I think this must be the one you mean, DeborahK Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator

Phil Florian - the original Paradise Lost documentary from 1996 is only out on vhs, but the follow-up they did in 2000 is on dvd by New Video

John Watson

Screenwriter
Good subject.

I recently picked up Scorcese's Blues, and while I'm not sure its great, it is noteworthy. I would like to see similar wideranging documentraies on other forms of pop music - country, early R&R, etc.

I only have 2 other documentaries - Chuck Jones LIFE IN ANIMATION, and a bio of LOUISE BROOKS. I had THEREMIN, it was touching but unsatisfying.

I sometimes wish the A&E bios came on DVD, tho the programs tend to be lightweight.

For browsing, you could go to DVD Empire and click on the documentary category.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v5_cat...403630&redir=1

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Docs I've seen recently that I enjoyed a lot:

Balseros
Hell's Highway
Schlock! The Secret History of American Movies
To Be and To Have
Winged Migration
Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns)
A Decade Under the Influence
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood
The Kid Stays in the Picture
Spellbound
Lost in La Mancha
The Boys of 2nd Street Park
The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition
Dogtown and Z-Boys
Startup.com

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that nobody's mentioned some of the classic, hugely influential and highly watchable documentaries:

World at War
The Great War
Salesmen
Nanook of the North

all available on DVD.

And not on DVD, but should be:

The Ascent of Man
Civilisation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks