What's new

Best Buy's New Rewards Program...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
why did you buy one? couldnt you use the one your wife got free?
I guess I failed to mention that I bought mine before she got her free one. But I still would have bought one. We tend to manage our financial affairs independently (never have to fight over money that way ;)). Besides, it would be a pain trying to pass the card back and forth.

Oh, and I got my first certificate yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get one or two more before next week's DVD shopping.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I signed up back in early August (like the first week) and haven't received anything in the mail. Is this abnormal? I think the clerk/cashier wasn't 100% sure what she was doing, but then a supervisor helped in the transaction. Could she have screwed this up?

TIA.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Has anyone actually received any gift cards from their Reward Zone programs yet since the rollout?
I got (4) 5-dollar coupons in the mail earlier this week. They were separate coupons in ONE envelope.
I should also have another three or four being processed right now.
I signed up a few weeks ago when the free cards first went out.

Last weekend I took advantage of the 25-dollar 5,000-point bonus program by spreading out my planned purchases over 4-days.
So I got an additional 20,000+ in credits for only 100-dollars worth of purchases.

This program is definitely beneficial to me so far. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Shawn S

KevinFord

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget to consider people making a single, large purchase. I recently bought a Panny 53tw53. I did NOT buy it at BestBuy, but when I was considering BestBuy and Circuit City, I had to take the Rewards program into account. Here's how I figured it.

TV == $2000
DVD == $299
-----------
$2300

2300/125 == 18.4 reward coupons
18.4 reward coupons * $5 == $92

Cost of card == $10
Savings == $82

(I know you can't use partial reward coupons, but I'll use the .4 next time I buy a DVD anyway.)

For me, I was fortunate that Circuit City had a reward program (they do it twice per year) where they give you a gift card worth 10% of your purchase, excluding tax. And Circuit City would cound performace protection plans (which cost me $420). In the end, I got 10% off from Circuit City, or $306, on a gift card (that by the way does NOT expire)

Bottom line is, though, that anybody making a single large purchase at Best Buy would be stuping to not purchase the reward card. Did I miss anything?

pradike

Stunt Coordinator
:D HOW THE BEST BUY REWARDS PROGRAM REALLY WORKS:

Cardholders get the Rewards card free - otherwise $9.99 to get one.

You get 100 points for every $1 spent...but the real key way to get points is when they run special promotions on stuff or on certain days - over Labor Day, you could get 5000 points per day for spending $25.00 per day (for each of 4 days)...you could spend $50 in just 2 of those dys that weekend, and get 15,000 points (more than enough for a $5.00 discount certificate). IN reality...its another 10-12% off of merchandise IF AND WHEN (only) you buy things on promo days or merchandise.

If you use it with the promos, its a great deal. If you use it once in a while, its a waste.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If you use it with the promos, its a great deal. If you use it once in a while, its a waste.
But if you got one in the mail free, and you are buying stuff there anyway because it's the lowest price (either outright or tied), and it's not inconvenient to drive there, then I can't think of a reason not to use it.

Well...one. I have found out that BB is using this in the exact same way that Kroger uses the Kroger Plus card. It is another way to track your purchasing habits.

I've decided that - since BB already does this anyway with all credit card purchases (theirs, or Visa/Mc, etc.) - that it's academic and I can't win on the privacy issue. Unless I just choose not to shop there. Since I haven't seen any adverse effects yet, I'll just go with it. Even thought I'm kind of a privacy nut. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The only privacy time I request is when I'm taking a shower or taking dump. When the government takes that away from me, then I'll be pissed.

Anywho, the only drawback that I've personally experienced in regards to the Rewards zone is the slow time in receiving the certificates. In the one month since I've enrolled, I've already recovered my initial investment.

On a related note, I'm broke, and I can't go out tonight. :frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For all the bitching I've done about this program, I think I've already qualified for four discount certificates.

I guess the only bad thing about this program is that it will make plain how much of the ol' paycheck goes to Best Buy each week. :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes...they say that it can take 10 days for the site to be updated with your point additions. I can't imagine why that would be. At my job we do live webupdates for all kinds of things. It's very annoying to have to wait on this. I can't imagine why it wouldn't appear the next day, after a midnight polling.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, the company campus is impressive. I still can't believe that this is the same little store called "Sound of Music" that I used to frequent in the 70's. Boy oh boy, do I wish I had held off on all that sound gear and bought stock instead. I sure wouldn't be worried about whether or not I got four percent off a purchase, thats for sure. By the way, I thought I was a preffered customer, but I wasn't sent a free card. Hell, I'd use it if it were free, but don't ask me to pay for such a thing. Though, last November I blew 2G's on this computer there, that might have enticed me to do it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
BB also tracks your buying habits via check purchases, not just credit cards, for non-RZ purchasers. I went in a couple months ago to exchange a Buffy set that had a defective disc (big surprise) but couldn't find the receipt for, and they were able to punch up ALL of my purchases for the last year, almost all of which were by check, and verify that I'd bought it there. So don't think you're protecting your privacy by not using a cc.

But I STILL haven't received any coupons/gift cards, even though I think I've earned $55 worth so far. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it does not. so be aware of the dates on the coupon when you get them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have to return something to BB tonight so since I'm at customer service I will ask them to investigate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the delay is that they're only issuing coupons once a month. I've earned enough points for 3 certificates, but my on-line account says they've only mailed one certificate back on 8/20.

KevinFord

Stunt Coordinator
They have to at least let the return policy expire before issuing coupons. If you spend 10K on a new plasma screen and home theater, you would receive $400 in coupons. If you then returned all of your equipment, you may have already spent the coupons. It would be very difficult for BestBuy to recover/administer. Especially if you have joined the program as a minor, or if you don't have a credit card.

Sorry if somebody already brought it up. I didn't read EVERY post in the thread.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No Kevin, noone else brought it up. And that's an excellent point. It would just be cool if they told us that up front! Something like this:

"Coupons will only be issued once 30 Days have passed on all qualifying purchases. Best Buy does this to ensure that purchases remain in a qualifying position, and are not returned for a refund prior to coupons being issued. Thanks for your patience."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks