What's new

Best Buy to reformat their DVD department... (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Is this some kind of belated April Fool's joke? Unfortunately, I don't think that the majority of employees in Music/Movies areas have a clue....

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Strangely, my local Best Buy already had a couple of the Tuesday Judy Garland releases up on the shelves today, In The Good Old Summertime and For Me And My Gal--but, they didn't have the big one, Meet Me In St. Louis, which I'm picking up there on Tuesday. Also, somewhat more on topic here, they had one of the new titles in drama and one in musicals, although they're both musicals. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Music DVDs will not be cut entirely. The article is worded poorly because in the beginning they say: "Changes include moving music DVDs, which have seen strong sales growth, to CD sections to open up shelf space...".

Personally, I am for this change. It makes sense to keep musicians' product all in one place.

RickGr

Second Unit
The local Best Buy here moved music DVD's to teh CD section a month or two ago. The music/musical DVD's are together, they just have an aisle rack in the cd area.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
At least at Borders you can go onto a computer and find out what section a dvd is supposed to be in. Although, I was looking for Frank & Ollie (a Disney documentary), and their computer said it was in Anime! Another example of why I hate genre sorted dvds.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Although there are exceptions to that rule, they are few and far between. Most Best Buy employees have no clue whatsoever, especially when it comes to DVD. If it's a major new release then they might be able to help you. If it's a catalog release, good luck! (And yes, I am definitely speaking from MULTIPLE personal experiences.) :)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
That would bother me a bit more if not for the fact that I tend to avoid BB when it comes to buying musicals. My personal experience has been that BB employees are not at all knowledgeable, and very rude towards people buying musicals, so much so that I had one blue shirt question my sexual preference when I asked him to help me find a particular title.

As for BB's ability to properly file films by genre, they are the store that had The Harvey Girls in their Action/Adventure section for several months.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That would have sent me straight (no pun intended) to store management.

I feel bad for all you folks who shop in BBs with rude employees. In the two BBs in my area, the clerks are unfailingly polite, and they always try to be helpful (even if some of them are not too knowledgeable). Seriously, if you run into rudeness like that, you should complain to the manager. And if that doesn't get you anywhere, write to BB corporate.

RobertDragon

Auditioning
one of the best buys near me, in NJ, does their dvds in alphabetical order instead of by genre. I do not like it. It was hard as hell to navigate the aisles on a saturday as everyone was packed into the middle aisles and both ends were open. It also was somewhat harder to locate a title as it wasnt in perfect alpha order, just kinda S with S's.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

That method works very well for me. Metro Video in downtown Montreal has been using this method for years and I've always been thankful for this approach mainly because I do enjoy browsing the store's overly crowded shelves. Comedys in one section, dramas in another, a whole section dedicated to TV shows on DVD, another section dedicated to anime, one more section for Criterion discs (right next to the cash where they can keep an eye on them...) :)

It's not unheard of for me to roam the aisles for half an hour and buy nothing. It's just so much fun being in there! :)

TedT

Second Unit

They do if they're the ones putting the DVDs on the shelves. I remember finding "Beyond Reanimator" in the Anime section a couple months ago. (Should've been in Horror, by the way).

TedT

Second Unit

I asked about Penn & Teller at Best Buy last Tuesday. NONE of the two employees at BB I talked to even had a clue. Never even HEARD of them. When they finally looked on the computer (after I corrected them on the spelling), they found them buried in a box that had 8 of the sets in there. They didn't even think of putting it on the shelves or the "new releases" table.

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of thought it was a "major" release!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm just lucky. The DVD department employees at my local Best Buy (Northeast Philadelphia, Red Lion Rd. & Roosevelt Blvd.) are nothing but cool. Sure, they might not be "movie experts" but they're nearly always quite helpful.

But by this point my need for Best Buy Employee Assistance has dwindled down to nothing. I know where the DVDs I want are located, and I go get 'em.

...although I did notice that May was in comedy at one point. :D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty amazing to see the kind of impact TV-On-DVD is having. Dividing the section into genres of television is pretty exciting. I've never had a problem finding them in simple alphabetical order, but the genre division makes me giddy thinking about the numbers of new releases we can expect down the line.
Pretty soon, Best Buy is going to have to expand their stores to accomodate all of the DVDs and sets that will be available.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
To Mark Bendiksen, EricSchulz, Malcolm R.

Wow. I hope you are very proud of yourselves for your stereotyping of people. Glad to see you know every employee to be able to say that with the amount of ego that you do. You people sound like snobs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I don't understand why (stereo-)typing the people who work in those stores has any relevance to the subject. It's also unnecessarily unkind and impolite.

The same goes of course for slamming back at members here who post those remarks.

Please stop this line of reasoning.
Thanks for understanding.

Cees

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin

Actually, Best Buy sold off the Musicland group because they got what they wanted from their initial purpose: Musicland's exceptional warehousing system. When they sold off the company again, they retained that. The company that bought Musicland from Best Buy had to use a different warehouse and system.

As for who determines into which genre the DVDs are categorized, in most cases it's the data entry people in the corporate offices. Which explains quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks