What's new

Best Buy Ends Mail-In Rebates in Canada (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

And about god damn time. I actually have to give credit to Best Buy for this move, especially after the whole deceptive practice of trying to fool customers on prices with their own intranet website, perhaps this is just a way to make it up to the shoppers they have pissed off recentley...

I have sent in rebates before and either:

A: Its not filled in correctly as the letter that was returned to me stated (had this happen with my TV purchase - and the great thing is that it WAS filled in correctly)

B: Takes months to get the actual rebate.

C: Lucky if the rebate actually arrives at all.

Hopefully Future Shop will end rebates too as they are owned by Best Buy. As a matter of fact, I'm eagerly anticipating that this is the beginning of the end of the entire Mail-In Rebate Scam.

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=6818

CRyan

Screenwriter
I read an article last year that stated they will end rebates accross all store markets by 2008. Although, "the instant rebates" will not offer as good a deal to the persistent consumer.

WIll be interesting to see how rivals handle this - they could continue to offer these and take business away from BB.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation of a rebate:
  • You buy an item for $60
  • You hand the clerk a $100 bill
  • The clerk puts the $100 bill in the cash register and closes it.
  • The clerk then says "Someone in India has your change. Here's his address. You can write to him and ask him for you change back, if you want to."
;)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
What's great is that we won't be paying taxes on the "pre-rebate" price.

Although we'll lose the biggest rebates, I'll take the $80 instant rebate over the $100 mail in, especially when you figure after taxes it will only cost me $8.80 and I don't need to worry about never seeing my rebate..

Brent

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think my only good rebate experience was with Staples, I think which actually will email you the status of your rebate, including when they received it, processing, and when it should be mailed. Like most of you, I've forgotten rebates for so long that I am sometimes completely surprised when getting checks in the mail and I'm scratching my head what on earth is it for (is this spam???) and then going back 6 months and realizing..oohhhhh that's what this is from...

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and don't forget about those who charge the item and then have to make interest payments (on their monthly statement) based on the full amount and not the after-rebated price. :frowning:

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Like most of you, I've forgotten rebates for so long that I am sometimes completely surprised when getting checks in the mail and I'm scratching my head what on earth is it for (is this spam???)

Spam? Is someone sending checks via email?

What I always thought sucked about rebates (other than half of them never arriving) was how blatantly they advertised the after-rebate price as if it were what you would pay in the store. And how about the ones where you have to send in several rebate offers for one purchase, like a PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks