What's new

best bookshelf speakers under $200 (1 Viewer)

jonathan_paul

Auditioning
A couple years ago I bought a Sony HTIB and now want to upgrade the speakers, everything will get upgraded eventually but I figured the best place to start would be with the speakers. So what would you reccomend for under 200?

Nick-G

Agent
I'm also upgrading a Sony HTiB and have been doing a bit of research for speakers in about this price range. I'm debating between the JBL NSP-1 set or a pair of the Athena AS-B1's. This weekend I'm going to go and listen to some similar Paradigms. The JBL set is nice because you can upgrade all 5 speakers for about $200, but the Athenas sound a bit better and go a bit lower. Its a tough choice that will probably only get tougher after I listen to the Paradigms!

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
my store has B&W DM303's on sale for $199/pair. really good price for a decent speaker. you will be hard pressed to find anything much better for that price. plus, you get to say you own B&W!

PierreN

Auditioning
I'm looking for a pair of speakers for surround sound also. I currently use JBL S38II & S-CenterII. Should I stick with JBL (S26II - $149) or should I consider this B&W DM300 ? I understand the "matching timbre" part, just curious whether the back speakers would make a dramatic different in sound (if it's a B&M)... Thanks !

John S

Senior HTF Member
As an S38 owner all the way around, I vote for that choice.
It does seem logical for you to stick with s series though in general.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
$200 for a pair or for all 5? If it's all 5, then JBL NSP1 should be at the top of your list. If it's just for a pair, there are tons and tons out there ....

Patrick H

Auditioning
For $190/pr you can get the Paradigm Atoms. Highly regarded speakers and a great bang for the buck.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
If you can squeeze out another $50 I'd go for the new Hsu 6-speaker Ventriloquist VT-12 set-up.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
S28s and even the S26 will probably push an HTiB to it's limit, so be careful.

For $190 US I was able to get sheilded Paradigm v3 Titans brand new. Used Atoms can be found for as little as $100/pr.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan:

There is a poll going on at AVS right now entitled "Best value in a small bookshelf". Sounds like it may be of interest to you.

Right now the Paradigm Atom is in the lead with the Axiom M2i in a close second place.

There are also some interesting thoughts in the discussion thread around the poll.

Check it out here.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks