1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

best bookshelf speakers under $200

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jonathan_paul, Nov 25, 2003.

1. jonathan_paul

jonathan_paul Member

A couple years ago I bought a Sony HTIB and now want to upgrade the speakers, everything will get upgraded eventually but I figured the best place to start would be with the speakers. So what would you reccomend for under 200?

2. Nick-G

Nick-G Well-Known Member

I'm also upgrading a Sony HTiB and have been doing a bit of research for speakers in about this price range. I'm debating between the JBL NSP-1 set or a pair of the Athena AS-B1's. This weekend I'm going to go and listen to some similar Paradigms. The JBL set is nice because you can upgrade all 5 speakers for about $200, but the Athenas sound a bit better and go a bit lower. Its a tough choice that will probably only get tougher after I listen to the Paradigms!

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Well-Known Member

my store has B&W DM303's on sale for $199/pair. really good price for a decent speaker. you will be hard pressed to find anything much better for that price. plus, you get to say you own B&W!

4. PierreN

PierreN Member

I'm looking for a pair of speakers for surround sound also. I currently use JBL S38II & S-CenterII. Should I stick with JBL (S26II - $149) or should I consider this B&W DM300 ? I understand the "matching timbre" part, just curious whether the back speakers would make a dramatic different in sound (if it's a B&M)... Thanks !

5. John S

John S Well-Known Member

As an S38 owner all the way around, I vote for that choice.
    It does seem logical for you to stick with s series though in general.

6. RichardH

RichardH Well-Known Member

$200 for a pair or for all 5? If it's all 5, then JBL NSP1 should be at the top of your list. If it's just for a pair, there are tons and tons out there ....

7. Patrick H

Patrick H New Member

For $190/pr you can get the Paradigm Atoms. Highly regarded speakers and a great bang for the buck.

8. Chris A H

Chris A H Well-Known Member

If you can squeeze out another $50 I'd go for the new Hsu 6-speaker Ventriloquist VT-12 set-up.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    S28s and even the S26 will probably push an HTiB to it's limit, so be careful.

For $190 US I was able to get sheilded Paradigm v3 Titans brand new. Used Atoms can be found for as little as $100/pr.

10. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Well-Known Member

Jonathan:

There is a poll going on at AVS right now entitled "Best value in a small bookshelf". Sounds like it may be of interest to you.

Right now the Paradigm Atom is in the lead with the Axiom M2i in a close second place.

There are also some interesting thoughts in the discussion thread around the poll.

Check it out here.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

11. Mark gas

Mark gas Well-Known Member

You should be able to get the ASB2's for around $200.