What's new

best bookshelf speakers for music/ht for around 400-500 bucks! (1 Viewer)

TedLee

Agent
yeah i would like to have a speaker that has a decent bass, so that can put the crossover to be like 80hz :D

and its not like im going to have the best sub in the world either.

i want speakers that can hold their own. :D

yeah im going to listen to any speaker before i buy them!

the only problem i see is that many speakers sound different from different recievers. who knew buying speakers was so difficult :D

mackie

Supporting Actor
I feel that more and more receivers are starting to sound more alike than different. Your speaker will have the most impact on your sound not the receiver, so your speakers will generally sound more or less the same whichever receiver you use UNLESS you get a low impedance/non-sensitive speaker and match it with a low power receiver.

There are quite a few bookshelf speakers that have plenty of output to and below 80hz. I like bookshelves over floor-standers because I feel I get a higher quality bookshelf speaker for the same money as the same priced floor-stander. Just my opinion.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The difference is the extra driver. The 5s are 2dB more efficient than the Minis and they move a lot more air. As mains, I always recommend the 5s over the Minis. The 5s don't really sound any deeper, but there is much more presence to them.

If you factor in stands, bookshelf speakers aren't really any less expensive than a similar floorstander (depending on stands I guess). I'm a fan of bookshelf speakers too though.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Worth auditioning as well are the new Boston Acoustics VRB. Also, PSB has update their Image line and they might have something interesting to consider. Wharfedale also makes a nice bookshelf.

Just in case you didn't have enough choices. :D

Bryan P

Grip
In this price range, I would recommend the Swan 2.1 speakers in rosewood. They are available for $449 per pair from theaudioinsider.com.

david*mt

Second Unit
IMO the JBL E50 offers the best bang for the buck. A great sounding speaker that can be had for about $230 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks