What's new

Directors best and worst remake tourney (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Shakiest Gun, and IMO it's the best Don Knotts film. So in that case...

Far From Heaven

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Once again, abstain.

Been a looooong time since I've seen TSGITW.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Jay,

It's not a big deal either way, but I'm a bit confused. Was the a compliment or a major slam on Shakiest Gun?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, they both have Don Knotts and are westerns, so there's some similarity. But Shakiest Gun is a pretty straightforward remake of The Paleface (without the singing), so it's more like that.

I doubt if you'd like it in any case Brook. :) Especially not compared to a remake of All that Heaven Allows/Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I'm a Don Knotts fan (I own all of Don Kott's films from the 60's), so it's not a slam. However, I would never confuse any of his films with great film-making either.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
When Shakiest Gun in the West beats out Far From Heaven then I truly know that the terrorists have won:D

I would like to know from John why he feels Shakiest Gun is a better film than Far From Heaven.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Ring, it was better than the original.

I liked the Good Thief, partly because I completely love the story and characters of Bob Le Flambeur. However I keep wondering about people that say Bob doesn't have a happy ending. Sure its not a happy ending for all the characters,

but for Bob it's a fantastically funny and in my view happy ending.

John C. Wilson

Supporting Actor
My rationale isn’t really very difficult to explain, though it will be viewed as (choose one: inappropriate, incorrect, unacceptable, ridiculous, etc.) by most here.

I mean, how does one come up with an overall judgment of superiority between two disparate films? Do you compare cinematography, set design, screenwriting? Look at the acting? Is Julianne Moore’s dramactic acting better than Don Knott’s comic acting? It’s certainly more serious, and for most people that equates to better, but I’m not sure I’d agree. Rashomon and M. Hulot’s Holiday are both great films, but anyone who thought the more serious film wasn’t going to win in Brook’s tourney is nuts. Hell, I’m just happy that Criterion includes some comedies in their catalog (though I’m sure many view them as inappropriate for the Criterion treatment as they do Armageddon).

Frankly, I agree with George that those kinds of comparisons can’t be done objectively. I think there’s a quantum mechanic principle of filmwatching that forces you to consider your perception of a film, not what it is objectively.

So, how did I decide to vote for Shakiest Gun over Far From Heaven? If I came to your house and you offered me a choice of which to watch, I’m much rather watch Shakiest Gun than Far From Heaven. Therefore, at least in terms of my interactions with the two films, Shakiest Gun is a better film.

I don’t expect you to agree with that, but you did ask, so there it is, and I make no apologies for my approach to film evaluation. You and I would probably agree that Citizen Kane is a better film than Gladiator. But I doubt seriously if we’d do so based on the same criteria.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If you're picking the film that you enjoy watching more, then that is a perfectly reasonable decision. You don't have to make any excuses.

I myself don't use that as my method (I might pick Plan 9 From Outer Space over Far From Heaven in that case), but at least I know how you're basing your decision. Thanks.

John C. Wilson

Supporting Actor
Well I guess I am, but then again, I guess that's my definition of greatness. Citizen Kane is a great movie cause I love the idea of watching it again.

But let me turn the tables. How in the world do you evaluate that Far From Heaven is a better film than Shakiest Gun in the West? What is the criteria you use and how do you combine them into an overall evaluation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks