What's new

Best A/V Receiver for around $1000 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I purchased my Onkyo 898 for $1049 including shipping (no tax) from J and R (http://www.jandr.com) and I love it. Great sound and incredible flexibility. Also very easy to use. Did I mention that it sounds fantastic?
Thanks,
Jeff

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Onkyo 898 for under $1050 delivered from an authorized dealer is definitely one of the best receivers for the money, I love its clean amplification.

James D

Second Unit
Ace- B&M stands for brick and mortar. This means an actual walk-in building as opposed to an online etailer. It means your local dealer.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Ok - I've gotten the receiver choice narrowed to the Marantz 8200 and the Onkyo 898. Since I'll be probably be about 60%+ HT I'm don't know which way to go. Hearing all these problems with the Marantz X200 series has me gun shy. The Onkyo sounds like it's more stable a product. As far as sound they are close, but I'd agree with the comments regarding 2 channel, Marantz has the edge. Lastly, any help finding an authorized Marantz e-tailer would be of great assistance.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
There's nothing wrong with the 3802. However, I would put it third to the Marantz and Onkyo in that order. Of course this is strictly my opinion. Could I get the 3802 and be happy. Yes, but unfortunately I've heard the other two. The 3802 is a fine piece and a fantastic value.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I believe Marantz is one of the mfgs that forbid sales by etailers. You want it?.. you can't get it mail order.

I think Integra is also that way.

Well, perhaps I'm wrong on that (reading on downline). I thought I'd read somewhere that Onecall couldn't sell Marantz by mail. Maybe I misread that. I can't find the msg that referenced that.

update:

I did find that msg that led me to believe that Marantz wasn't sold via MO. Here's a partial quote from Onecall:

"...the Marantz piece hasn't had enough of a feature list released for me to really comment on. Added to that the fact that they are restricted from mail-order/internet sales makes it not such a viable choice, at least not for a discount"

That was posted back in June.. so maybe the policy has changed. I dunno.

James D

Second Unit
Scott- Marantz can be bought from an authorized dealer online. Go to http://www.hifi.com They are currently running a free shipping promotion and also have coupons for $100 off of $700 or $200 off of $1400. They also offer a 30 day price protection policy and a 45 day return policy, including the return shipping. I returned the 7200 to them and was promptly credited the full amount. It's a risk free 45 day in home audition because you don't even have to pay for the shipping.:)

TalalS

Auditioning
scot,

My guess is that you’ll be happy with both of them

To address your concern about the lesser marantz models:

1. The SR-8200 is thx select certified which tills you something

2. It weighs only 1.1 lb's less than the thx ultra certified SR-9200 which has an extra channel

However feature wise IMO the marantz has the advantage of being software upgradeable on the other hand the onkyo has the advantage of 7 channels of amps

You’d have to choose which one is most important for you,

Personally I’d chose upgradeability over the seventh channel

Because the reason for a rear surround IMHO is to anchor the sound to the rear sound stage and this can be done with a single speaker with little deference and even then you can BUY the extra channel-the thx ultra certified mono block from marantz (model 6100) for around $300

But with the onkyo you can't buy the upgradeability

Hope you have the best of times with what ever you chose!

Talal

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
http://oade.com will sell you a 797 for less than $800. They are a licenced onkyo dealer so you keep the full warenty. I love em and tell everyone who is looking at the 797 to call em up.
Jim Oade is a bad ass

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Scott,

First off I have the Onkyo 797 and i love it. It's performance in HT is awesome. For music though I would choose Marantz(I'm sure the 8200 will be just as good as the 797 for HT). The only reason I didn't hold out for the 8200 is because i already have a Parasound 5 ch. amp that sounds great for music. The 797 has all of the processing capabilities as the 8200 so i didn't really need to spend the extra $$ on the 8200. I would get the 8200 if i didn't have my Parasound. Also, don't confuse the 8200 with the lower X200 models because the 8200(and 9200) are different designs than the others. I doubt you will have any of the problems of the earlier x200 Marantz receivers(just speculating). Good luck.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
OK so I know this is stupid, but I heard today for the first time Rotel RSX-972 with Ruark speakers. I've never heard of Ruark speakers, but the were exteremely impressive with both Arcam AV100 and Rotel. The 972 is a little undr powered for me. The step up in Rotel is a big one (like another $700), but they sounded so good!! I'd have to Rotel is in the mix as well holding the edge to me in 2 channel mode. This is the thrill of victroy and the agony of defeat!

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Scott, I had a Marantz SR-7200 with all the assorted problems, and traded up to the SR-8200. The 8200 is an awesome piece! I have found NONE of the problems that exist in the lower line x200's. It's a different unit entirely.

Good luck !

Pete

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If You are going to buy the Onkyo, make sure you buy it from Oade Bros.
Their service and prices are top notch and extremely competitive.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks