What's new

Best 7 CH Amp ~2K (1 Viewer)

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
As the title suggests, I am looking for the best 7 ch. amp for around $2K. Ideally, it would include 200 W @8 Ohm, Balanced input. Right now I have my eye on the Outlaw 7700. Let me know if I can do better. I will pair it with the Integra 9.8.

Thanks,

Shayne

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
How do you feel about monoblocks? If you can find them, the Marantz MA500 usually sells for between $150 and $180, so that'd be $1260.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
i picked up a brand new b@k 200x7 for a friend of mine for $2000.00, if you shop around you can get some good deals. i would also check audiogon, you can get some awesome stuff for a good price. if you're into some real power check out ab international, cinepro, verastarr these are amps that kick, to me there is nothing like it. i just don't like to run out of power.. good luck and shop around

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Emotiva MPS-2. How does it compare to the Outlaw Audio? I like the price at $1699, significantly less than the Outlaw.

Emotiva Audio MPS-2 7 Channel Audio Power Amplifier

The Emotiva MPS-2 is perfect for any size home theater/music system. Its unique design is completely modular. Each power amp module contains its own 350VA Toroidal transformer with high speed rectifiers, 4 x 12,000uF 105°C rated capacitors and a fan cooled heat sink. The modular mono block design essentially eliminates crosstalk; it’s greater than 120dB across any two channels.

You will see performance of 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 300w/ch @ 4 ohms and 400w/ch @ 2 ohms! This power amp utilizes a Class H topology for high efficiency and minimal heat generation. In a class H amplifier, the high voltage rail does not switch on hard, but is modulated by the input signal above the low voltage rail transition point.

It's more efficient this way and much quieter from an EMI standpoint. You can't overload it with a fast input signal transition, it's action is faster than the rise time of anything the power amp will see at the input, so there are no audible artifacts. This circuit is completely transparent and very reliable. These amps are basically bullet proof!

Each module has its own fan to ensure cool operation, but don't worry about noise; the fan speed is temperature controlled and does not start operating unless the amp is working VERY hard. At a time like this, your system will be playing so loud that the tiny fan's noise will be imperceptible. All control paths and housekeeping signals are optically isolated for complete inter- channel isolation.

What does it sound like? The MPS-2 is a very neutral sounding amp with no coloration of its own. It has a smooth, extended and detailed top end without artificial “etching” of the high frequencies. High damping factor provides excellent cone control and unparalleled low frequency control and extension. Exceptional dynamics round out this impressive amplifier.

Other MPS-2 features include balanced inputs (XLR) for a lower noise floor and high ground loop immunity, remote trigger terminals, auto turn on, soft start circuitry and milled aluminum rack ears for professional installations (the MPS-2 is a 5RU chassis). Because of the cool running design of the MPS-2, the DMC-1 processor can be stacked directly on top. The amplifier modules come packaged separately from the chassis when you receive the MPS-2. Each amp module slides in the chassis on nylon guide rails and secure with just four screws. This is done due to the weight of the fully assembled amplifier; shipping it completely loaded with the power modules is not practical.

It weighs 115 pounds when fully assembled!! The side benefit of this is the chance to see how the beautifully the amplifier is built, inside and out!

The MPS-2’s price belies its performance. It is without a doubt one of the finest amplifiers made today and quite certainly the best amplifier value on the market today.

Chris_Bald

Grip
I've heard many good things about Emotiva. I'm thinking of picking up their new XPA-5 myself. What do you have to lose? Order it, listen for 45 days, keep it or return it. I say go for it!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Audioholics and Secrets both gave some really good reviews on the Emotiva MPS-1. I'm very curious how it and the B&K compare to each other. This is assuming the MPS-2 didn't take a step back from the MPS-1, which I doubt.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Hello..Did you pick the outlaw up? if so, how do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.