What's new

Best $500 (1 Viewer)

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
I'm done! Ok...I've always wanted a projector HT. Now I have one. Sure, I've had to mismatch speakers and such because I'm not Donald Trump. But I do have $500 left in my budget. I'm looking around at what I have. I'd like to put that $500 in somewhere. What would you change or upgrade with $500?
Optoma HD33
FAVI HD-100 16:9/100-Inch Electric Projector Screen
Rec= Pioneer VSX-91THX Elite 7.1
L/R= Infinity 80hm 15-150w 331049
4 satelites= Yamaha ap2600s(box store)
Center= Definitive ProCinema 1000
Sub= Boston XB4
Living room is rectangular, viewing long ways, 10X22. Will be using 2 sofas facing forward....the rear one on a 12" rise box to see over. I've searched a bit through the threads and just can't seem to resolve my very specific situation. So I VERY much appreciate any input!
Steve,
San Diego

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
schan1269 said:
I'd match your 5.0.
So...you're saying I should either do Yamaha center, or Definitive satellites? I could put all these in the bedroom, and just get something like the Energy Take 5.0 set in my price range. Is that what you're thinking?? BTW, thanks for taking the time...Happy New Year!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The front three really need to be a better match. The surrounds not so much unless you listen to a lot of surround sound music. I'd either match the center with DefTech fronts or get a center to match the Infinity's, maybe a CC-2 or CC-3 if you can find one on CL/ebay. It depends on which you like better, the DefTech center or Infinity Fronts. The Infinity center shouldn't cost more than $100 +/-. Not sure on the DefTech fronts.
That Boston sub is only listed as going down to 38 hz. That's not very deep. Maybe the ever popular BIC F-12 or V1220? $200 shipped from partexpress or Amazon. Save the other $200 for a rainy day or a decent surge protector/UPS. Maybe a harmony remote? Some better wires/cables (if they're as old as your other stuff :) )? I could use some tires on my old Mercedes :) .
The Take Classic's would be a step down from either the Infinity's or the Pro Cinema 1000 center. But a step up from the Yamaha's.

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
Gotcha! Match those front 3. I actually own the center that came with the Yamaha's. But it just looks so pathetic, I couldn't put it in there. I'm thinking a couple DefTech fronts then since that's my favorite speaker in my system. BTW, my buddy emailed me today saying "what you need to do is buy my PL-89's off me for $350...go from there."
What's he talking about?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-PL-89-Acoustech-Speakers/dp/B001VIXH7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357093469&sr=1-1&keywords=BIC+pl89
Not a bad deal...considering what those cost new...but here is the center...
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech-PL-28-Center-Speaker/dp/B001VIPUFU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
$550 and you'd have big, loud and all the bass you could ever want.

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
Honestly, I just want to hear what I heard when I build my very first HT 17 years ago. I bartered with my neighbor who did commercial audio installations. That scored me 4 Elan surrounds, and a set of floor standing speakers(can't remember brand). All of these would have been too expensive for me to just buy. But with barter I could make it happen. Well...i've been spoiled ever since. My pathetic attempts to replicate that sound with box store bundles, and craigslist speaker mismatches, has failed. Now here I sit. My projector and screen arriving Fri. And I'm feeling a new determination to feel that chill up my spine that a well imaged system can produce. I'm staring at my mish mash of odd speakers...and running to this forum for a push in the right direction within my means. Who knows...I could spend more from from my "real" money. GREAT suggestions! I'm hoping matching the front 3 with a quality set as suggested above is the answer.

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
I am a sad monkey today. i received my first sets of 3d glasses and tried to test um. After 20 minutes of fiddling and trouble shooting I found the problem. My Pioneer Elite receiver is not 3d compatible.:( As least I was able to hook my PS3 directly to the projector so I could see 3d. Solutions as far as I can see are A- new receiver....B- optical for audio?...C- firmware update on the receiver?...D- magical solution from my friends on hometheaterforum.com.:D On a separate note, here's my 3D glasses report. I bought MULTIPLE kinds of active DLP glasses to test. 3DTV, True Depth, Optoma, and Sainsonic. I wanted to see what the reason was for the drastic difference in costs. (0-5 :star: scale) Sainsonic($35) :star::star::star: pros- Cheapest, light, fairly comfy cons- I had to push the button a couple times when I noticed the image got out of phase...but it corrected. Lenses are on the small side. 3DTV($43) :star::star::star::star: 1/2 pros- Big lenses. fits close to face, very comfy. Simple to use, not fuss. cons- none yet. There are some competitors a few dollars cheaper...but $43 isn't bad. True Depth($62):star::star: pros- Simple to use, no fuss. cons- Price. Bottom of the lens feels a little high. Least comfortable of the ones I tested. Optoma($83) (BG-ZF2100GLS) pros- untested cons- untested I'll update on the Optomas tomorrow. I didn't realize they required me to switch to 3D VESA til after the test. I just assumed they weren't working at the time...duh.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I'm gonna go with -A-. I had the same thing happen with my Yamaha RX-Z7. I was told, no firmware update would make hdmi 1.3 "magically" 1.4. So -C- is out of the equation. As far as -B- goes, you are seriously going to have degraded audio. It will seem like the audio is struggling to keep up with the 3D. And since you upgraded or are upgrading your speakers.... So -D- would = -A- in my opinion. :P Edit: in case your thinking of going with -B-, this may explain it better: http://www.ehow.com/about_6587109_hdmi-vs_-digital-optical-audio.html

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only magical solution would have been using the receivers multi-channel analog inputs for HD audio but PS3's don't have m/c outputs. A new receiver is the best option instead of buying a 3D player with m/c analog outputs because the m/c inputs on the 91txh bypass all processing (MCACC, bass-treble controls, etc). Only a $1000+ BR player (like an OPPO 95/105) would probably sound better thru the m/c outputs without processing then a standard BR player via hdmi with processing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is another option... I'm not sure if Panny still makes any this year(never cared to check)... Last year they made some TWIN HDMI BD players to side-step the 1.3 issue. The trick will be finding one...they do exist though.

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
Da gumit! After an unsuccessful look for the magical twin cable, I'm ready to grab a receiver. You guys are great for helping me make decisions. My wife just gives me the deer in headlights look when I talk about this stuff. So this just means I'm axing the new speakers in favor of a new receiver. So I need a sub $500 speaker that works with my system. FYI, I care more about clean sound than loud. Andy my current setup is 7.1. Recommendations? After a quick Amazon look, here's what I see: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D14269301&field-keywords=3d&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A667846011%2Cn%3A3236449011%2Cn%3A281053%2Cn%3A14269301%2Ck%3A3d THX AGAIN FOR THE INPUT GUYS!

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
Da gumit! After an unsuccessful look for the magical twin cable, I'm ready to grab a receiver. You guys are great for helping me make decisions. My wife just gives me the deer in headlights look when I talk about this stuff. So this just means I'm axing the new speakers in favor of a new receiver. So I need a sub $500 receiver that works with my system. FYI, I care more about clean sound than loud. Andy my current setup is 7.1. Recommendations? After a quick Amazon look, I'm looking at stuff like this: Sony STRDH830 Sony 3D 7.1 Channel A/V Receivers() $399.99 $348.00 Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black) $699.00 $399.00 Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver(Black) $599.00 $299.00 Of course, my buddy says to skip all that noise. Sell my current setup on Craigslist to make up the cost difference. And buy this: Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package $1,099.00 $968.97 (I can get for $750)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Magical "twin cable"??? You mean the dual HDMI Panasonics? There were three model numbers... BDT300/350 the first year BDT310 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT350-Full-HD-3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-Consumer-Electronics-/121049439558?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1c2f1bdd46

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Better choice... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310P-Blu-Ray-Disc-DVD-Player-Full-HD-3D-Wi-Fi-Touch-Free-Sensor-/281041893653?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item416f66f915

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a hdmi splitter type cable (which would be some sort of magic).:D I think I need to stick to my PS3 since we do the 3D gaming as well. New receiver seems to be the only viable option.

Capn

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve ford
It is? I thought a blue ray player was a blue ray player. I'll have to research what you're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks