What's new

Best $300 dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I'm in the market for a new progressive scan dvd player. I'll be upgrading from my Toshiba SD-3900. I want a player that has doesn't have the "chroma bug" and has GOOD video/audio. I don't need ALOT of fancy features, just a good player. I'll be using the player with my Zenith HDTV.

I'm curious about some of the new players that have DVI out, since my tv has an DVI input. Would I see any difference on a direct veiw CRT with DVI or is it just a bunch of hype?

My budget is $300(firm).

Any suggestions?

THANKS.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You won't see a difference with DVI unless you have a large fixed pixel display, not a CRT. Get a good 480p component output player based on the Faroudja de-interlacer like the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($250) or Denon DVD-910 ($299) at stores like Tweeter or Good Guys.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the now-legendary (warranted or not) Panasonic XP30 on eBay for about that price.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I've seen the Panasonic XP30 going for close to $300 on Ebay? Is that player worth it? I've heard good things about it. How's the build quality? Better then Denon?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I got a used XP30 on EBAY for $250 a few months ago - great condition with low hours, the quality is the best of the Faroudja-based models - beats the Denon DVD-910 and Mitsubishi DD-8040 which I evaluated too.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
The new LG DV7832 with its ability to upconvert via component is the best deal right now. Picture quality is better in my opinion to the Panasonic RP82 that it just replaced.

Kevin

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I went to Panasonic's site and they don't hae that model listed. I guess it is very new.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Don, what did you like about the XP30 as compared to the 910 and Mits DD8040? I'm just curious because I jumped on a good deal for a region-free XP30 the other day sight unseen without really having a chance to compare it to any other DVD players.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The XP30 has superior picture quality with a perfect flat frequency response resulting in a much sharper more accurate picture. The XP30 also supports SVCD and has a saveable black level setting. The DD-8040's black level setting resets after any DVD change or power up - thats annoying, also the high frequency response is poor giving a much softer image and also it doesn't support SVCDs. I'm sure you will enjoy the superior qualities of the XP30 as I do, compared to the newer DD-8040 and DVD-910 models - you made the right choice in my opinion!

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny, found mine on eBay. I couldn't say if there are any more, but it never hurts to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks