1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 27" Tv for under $350?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christie W, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Christie W

Christie W Auditioning

I'm helping my sister in law get started into HT.She was given a DVD player(Lasonic I think?)Their current tv only has RF inputs and is on the way to the graveyard.I have a 10% off for Best Buy.I was comparing the Toshiba and Panasonic.Any other suggestions? Thanks Christie

2. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Get the Toshiba. The Panasonics have bad pincushioning problems. The Toshibas are more sensitive to EMR, but you may get lucky.

3. Sam_h

Sam_h Auditioning

I think it was the JVC D-series that was very good. They have component input

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Screenwriter

You might get better replies if you move this to the TV section.

The admins. will be moving this soon anyway.

I'd say go with the Toshiba with component video input.

Dan

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I just picked up a Toshiba 27" (27A41) for $299. It has component and s-video inputs. I got some input in this thread . Can't tell you how I like it though as it's a christmas gift for someone and I haven't used it.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i know you're looking at 27", but i picked up a sony 32" for 450 from best buy (using my 10% discount). the only disadvantage is no component input.

i think for only 100 bucks more it's worth considering.

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I 2nd the JVC D-series 27" TV. One of my friends has one and the picture is gorgeous. I will actually be buying the 32" D-series next year. It's not flat screen, but pretty darn close!

8. Evan S

Evan S Screenwriter

Go with the JVC D-Series. I have the D200 model from 1999...great picture, component inputs and I haven't had a single problem in 2+ years. You can't go wrong with these TV's. I did a lot of research before I bought. It was a Consumer Reports best buy when the line was debuted and I doubt the quality has declined significantly in 2 years.

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

If you can stretch the budget I would go with a flat screen.
    With 10% off you can go with the Panasonic Tau, Sony FS Wega, or Toshiba AF for $450-500. I was looking to get a 27" direct view for around $350 and after having difficulty finding the one I wanted in stock I started looking at these.
    After looking at the flat screens and the Sony Wegas in particular, I went with the Sony Wega KV27FS13 sinced I liked the PQ of the Wegas the best. The Sony also has the 16:9 vertical squeeze mode but don't have any experience with it. Hopefully I don't have any reliability issues with the Sony as their warranty is not the best.
    The JVC is a bit deeper in dimension and the video seemed a bit noisier to me. Some also complain about their units buzzing, but I couldn't tell in the stores since it's a very noisy environment.
    How do you get the 10% discount at BB? I spend tons at Sears and CC and get nada [​IMG] If these TV's didn't weigh 100lbs I'd get them off the net.

10. Christie W

Christie W Auditioning

The %10 coupons came in the mail--3 different ones that had to be used by the 15th.My sister in law used one for her TV and I used one for the new U2 DVD!

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Another vote for Tosh. Remember, Toshiba has some of the most accurate color decoding to be found in a consumer set. You can also access its service menu with relative ease to perform a 16:9 raster "squeeze" for use with anamorphic DVDs.

12. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

13. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Hi there. I've been lurking here for months and finally registered.

I bought my parents a Toshiba 27A41 as a Christmas gift. I used it in my home theater for about a week(15 or so hours of viewing) to evaluate it before I give it to them. For the price I paid, about $265ish after sale and 10% off at Best Buy, I think it's a great set. My personal set is a 32" Sony XBR2, their high end top set a few years ago, so that's saying a lot.

Here are a couple of key points to keep in mind if you demo/buy this set.

1) The factory picture settings are just absolutely horrible. Out of the box the set looked really bad. Don't get dicouraged when you first turn it on. I don't have Video Essentials or Avia, so I used the video set-up on the Toy Story DVD as a first pass, and tweeked it from there. Took me a couple of days to really be happy with it.

2) The remote sucks. Ergonomically it's fine, but you have to point it directly at the set for it to work.

3) Audio quality from the built in speakers is not all that great. My parents are not home theater or audiophile people and won't mind(they are used to the rinky dink 19" set they are using now), but don't expect too much.

All in all none of these are show stoppers. I was prepared to spend significantly more on a set, but didn't feel the need to.

Hope this helps you out.

-Dave

14. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

I was also looking at the Toshiba 27A41 to buy with my Best Buy 10% off coupon. After trying three stores and not being able to find it, I went with the Panasonic CT-27D11. The Panasonic has a better digital comb and also includes a headphone jack (which the Toshiba doesn't have.) Picture-wise, it's very, very good. The remote works great as well. It's weak link is the sound. You can adjust the treble and bass, but I guess I'm just too used to the sound of my home theater's speakers. The Panny also has component inputs. The price was $329 minus an instant $10 rebate, plus an additional 10% off with the coupon.

(I thought that sale ended on Sunday, though...)

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gil, yes, you can enter that set's service menu and do the squeeze trick. I have a Toshiba CZ27V51 doing bedroom duty, and I often find that I prefer its picture to the Sony WEGA that is shoulding all the HT duty.