What's new

Best 27-32" TV for around $600 (1 Viewer)

Tyler_B

Auditioning
My apologies for yet another "which TV?" thread, but I have been researching 27-32" televisions in the $600 price range for about a month and a half and I am fairly lost right now. So far what I have (sort of) narrowed it down to are between the Sony KV-27FV300 and the JVC AV-27F803. I am, however, still looking at other sets, those two just seem to have the most features/best picture quality according to various reviews. Has anyone had experience with either of these two?

The only thing that is really making me consider the JVC is all of the reports of Wegas having poor geometry and/or color distortion (specifically, pink fringes on white backgrounds.) This seems to be a really common problem, but that may be just because Wegas are so popular. My father has a 32" FV series Wega (it's a 2000 model, I believe) and the picture looks great, but I never looked for any of the artifacts or geometry issues mentioned.

I live rather far from any large store that sells either of these TVs, so I want to get a list of what TVs I should really look at before I take the long drive there. What I have in my room right now is a very crappy Apex 27", so basically anything will look and sound better to me; I just want make sure I get the best I can for my money. Any advice at all is much appreciated :)

~Tyler

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You've done your research, and I'm happy!

As you know, the WEGAs feature the 16:9 mode. That's argument enough in Sony's favor.

Tyler_B

Auditioning
Yes, but so does the JVC. I don't think it is auto but it is a one-button thing. There is a button on the remoted labeled "16:9 mode", which I assume you just press and it does it. The more I read about the Wega tubes and their permament design flaws the more I am looking at the JVC.

I would go for the Tosh 27AF42 but 1) no PIP, 2) poor build quality (feels cheap), 3) poor remote, and 4) no 16:9 mode (at least not one that is readily accessible).

Has anyone had experience with JVC's non-HD I-Art flatscreens? I have read they have less geometry/color distortion issues than the Wegas. I guess the only way to know for sure is to go and take a look for myself :D

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Do you currently use PIP? My TV has it and I never use it. I think its more of a gimmick than anything.

Mark

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I was also going to suggest an HD ready Samsung (I got the 2797 for $650). There doesn't seem to be any bad geometry and I haven't detected any color distortion.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I know you can get it for around $700 in many places, and HD capability would be worth the extra C-note.

Tyler_B

Auditioning
I looked up the Samsung HDTV and it looks good so far. Couple questions though...why does Samsung no longer have it on their website, and what resolutions does it support? On the web retailers I've seen carrying it all it says is "Progressive scan: yes" "Max resolution: 1080i" and "TV resolution: 800 lines." Maybe I'm getting this wrong but isn't 800 lines not enough for 1080i?

Also, what local retailer might carry this TV? My options are kind of limited to Sears, Best Buy, Good Guys, and Circuit City for local retailers.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
1080i is supposed to have 1920 lines of horizontal resolution, but none of the tv's do right now. If one does I am sure it costs many many thousands of dollars. I think the toshiba has 1000 lines horizontal.

I think that is right anyone correct me if not.

Edit: the 1080i is for the vertical resolution

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks