What's new

Best 16X9 HDTV for $5000? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am in the market to upgrade my current hdtv. And was wanting some advice from you guys. I have purchased a lot of gear for my system based on your guys input so I value your opinions. I was lookig at a couple of different models.
1.HITACHI65XWX20B
2.HITACHI65SWX20B
3.TOSHIBA HDX82
4.SAMSUNG HLM617W
I had a question, what is the difference between the two Hitachi's? Is the only difference the built in hdtv tuner on the XWX model? Or are the internals on the XWX model better? Better picture quality? Or the same? Thanks for your help.

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
If you can wait, I would get the new 57" LCOS set (57HL83)coming from Toshiba in September. It should retail for around $4000 or so. Here is an article mentioning it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeff:

From what I have read from members that I respect their opinions on it that although the Hitachi is a great set they have all ended up getting the Mitsubishi models WS-XX411 and up that can be had in the $2,800 range or so. Our own Gregg Loewen that calibrates these models says that the Mits is one of the better ones out there and that it calibrates out very well. With its new "Quad Focus" system it rivals even the Pioneer Elite line that costs several thousand more. I would definitely give the Mits line a good looking over too.

Parker

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Parker,Right now I have a Sharp 64LHP4000. It is one of the very first hdtv's to come out and I am still very impressed with the picture quality, however due to the fact that it is one of the first models, I figured there has been some big and better advances in the technology since then. If you are familiar with teh Sharp model, how would you compare it to the Mits?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Pioneer Elite 630. Mits is good, equal to the Elite on HD and DVD, but the Elite is much better with Analog. You won't go wrong with an Elite. Mits supposedly require a good deal of tweaking out of the box. Elites are great out of the box with no red push on the new 30 series. Elite has two DVI inputs, which I don't believe the Mits have, unless they have just implemented it. Elite has better line doubler and stretch modes. Both Elite and Mits Diamond share the same 3D motion Adaptive Comb filter. With a budget of $5000, I'd look at the Elite and the Mits Diamond.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeff:

From what I have read the Mits blows away just about anything out there. Even right out of the box. I know that there is a firmware upgrade that you can do that really makes a lot of difference in its overall picture. Even from people that can afford the price of a Pioneer Elite they still chose the Mits. You deserve it to yourself to check them out.

I would also recommend we any RPTV that you decide on that you get it ISF calibrated. A great calibrator like Gregg will tweak it to the max and give what you already believe is a great picture and make it fantastic by comparison.

Having said all that I also agree that you may want to wait some and check out the new three chip LCOS and DLP monitors. From what I have heard from people that have ventured into see these puppies in person they fell in love with them.

Parker

I'd recommend the Pioneer Elite as well. My father-in-law has the 64" monster and we love it. Have you looked at anything from Panasonic? I've got the 42" plasma which I find very well-made and priced better than Sony.

Chris

David S

Stunt Coordinator
After owning my Pioneer Elite 630 (58") for last couple of months, I would not hesitate to recommend you look at the 730 (64") - with the recent price drop to $5499 SRP/likely $4800+ street, you wouldn't be disappointed.

At the same time, these other brands (some a little cheaper than the street above, some alot cheaper) deserve your looks as well. I agree with above poster, my Elite on SD Direct TV - in the Natural Wide mode looks better to me that the others (albeit only saw others in store, etc). On DVD, and HDTV, seems to me the gap is closed eg., the Mits 65411 + Prof ISF is said to equal the Elite.

Check out Home Theater Talk thread - Robert George "Obi" recently replaced a Elite 710 with the 65411(I believe) and is really pleased with the result.

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
One thing to watch out in Mits is that they do not offer DVI inputs. If you are purchasing a new set now, I highly recommend DVI connectivity-come fall/next year most of equipment will have DVI (esp DVD players/HD Receivers)

Both Hitachi & Pioneer are better choices. If you watch lot of regular programming/cable, then Pioneer with its better line doubler and stretch modes is the best.

My $0.02!

Kishore

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks