1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best <$100 Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by David Williams, Aug 29, 2005.

1. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

I have no hands on experience with a digital camera, but I have a basic understanding of the technical principles involved (CCDs, MPs, etc). I want something cheap (

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

There is no reputable, recognizeable brand of digital camera available in that price range - not if you're buying new. There are a few off-brand 1 - 2 MP cameras that start at $100, but I would not recommend them.

Best bet is to look for someone who is upgrading to a 5MP camera - they may sell a used 2-3MP name brand camera in the price range you're looking at. A used Canon, Nikon or Sony point-and-shoot camera could be a good value.

A new digital camera with any real lasting power (in terms of build quality, resolution and features) is going to start at $200 - $250.

-Scott

3. PerryD

PerryD Well-Known Member

Check the sales and clearances, a year ago I picked up a Kodak 3 megapixel 4x Zoom camera that takes wonderful pictures for only $99. As new models are constantly coming out, you can get a great deal on the old stock. Without trying hard, I found this link for a Fuji 3 Megapixel camera and Lexmark printer bundle for $79. I'm sure there are many Kodak, Fuji, Minolta, etc brand cameras that will fit your budget.

4. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks Perry. This a bit more specs-wise than what I was looking for ( [​IMG] ), even if I don't need a printer. I figure that Black Friday sales would be another avenue to get the kind of price I want. My purchase is still a couple of months away, but even at $129.99 the Fuji Finepix w/ printer seems like a really good deal.

Scott, I appreciate your input as well and thanks. Used isn't something I have thought about until now and it's a good idea as a Plan B.

I know I'm not going to get 5MP quality at sub $100 prices... I'm just looking for something 'quick and dirty' that will give me a resolution better than a polaroid and similar to a cheap regular film camera. Basically I'm looking for a 110 camera like I had as a teenager but for the digital age that I can hook up to my new computer and store images.