What's new

Beowulf discussion (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
That is definitely cool. I hope it pans out. I am very curious the way they're going to attempt to tell the story. But with Zemeckis at the helm I have plenty of faith.

By the way, anyone know anything more about this OTHER movie version of "Beowulf"? http://www.beowulf-movie.com/ .

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

The novel "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton, in which the movie is based on, was I believe supposed to be a historically accurate account of the story of Beowulf. I'm not sure how accurate the movie is to the novel. I do know that Tolkien was also inspired by Beowulf for some aspects of his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
13th Warrior was an adaption of Michael Crichton's book "Eaters of the Dead." The book was influenced by Beowulf though.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This looks interesting - written by Avery and Gaiman.

Anyone remember "Grendel Grendel Grendel"?

I had to watch it in history class.
Grendel was also one of my very favorite comic books.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, now that's just funny.

I have to say, a movie supposedly based on Beowulf made by Robert Zemeckis, using motion capture and starring Crispin Glover as Grendel sounds hilariously awful.

Now, the other one linked to sounds promising...

Jace_A

Second Unit
I have to say, this sounds terrible. The live action film seems more than enough of a retelling of this story.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds interesting.

The other version (with Gerard Butler) seems to be more of a demystified version of Beowulf. Apparently Grendel will now have motivation (I think the King killed his dad or something).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Return of the zombie Grendel thread!

Just saw the movie on DVD. Felt it was fairly mediocre, especially compared to the 13th Warrior (now when that movie looks good.....). The accents are what did me in, everybody seemed to have a different one.

Now the sea hag, is that supposed to be Grendel's mother?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is that a joke? I honestly don't remember. It's been a long time since I read Beowulf, though I have read it at least twice. I didn't know this version was out. I saw the Gerard Butler one, and it was OK, but Sarah Polley is too modern to fit in that kind of story, and the addition of a love interest for Beowulf was a hard to take.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm sure the noise thing is true, but it's a really petty reason. :)

Not that it matters, but my post seems a little out of context today. It was stated at a different time. Long ago, back in 2005, we had been subjected to a gajillion different movies which were seen as demystifications of old legends such as Troy which sucked the Gods out of the Illiad and King Arthur which put the old Arthurian myths in a more realistic setting.

John, I'm thinking Garrett is referring to the Gerard Butler movie since the Robert Zemeckis one is still in production and isn't available on DVD. Of course, maybe Garrett just has connections. :)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Meh, I dunno, the trailer isn't doing much for me. Then again, I don't really know the Beowulf story since I seem to have been the one person on earth to get through high school without having to read it.

It does seem their process has gotten past the "zombiefied" look that plagued Polar Express, but it still feels fairly clinical - i guess - compared to something from Pixar. And I will never understand why they insist on making the models look like the actors that are playing the parts.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I don't know. Ray Winstone looks nothing like Beowulf. ;)

I think there are a lot of key details that we aren't seeing in this trailer (like characters speaking) that could make or break this film. Overall, it is promising, and there are still a few months of tweaking going on.

Quint has seen 20 minutes of the movie: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33456

Jason

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I don't get it. If they're using the exact likenesses of the actors why not just film it normally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks