1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

BENNY HILL SHOW: complete and unedited!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AndyMcKinney, Jun 28, 2004.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Screenwriter

Didn't see this at TVShowsOnDVD yet, so thought I'd post it.
    Apparently, A&E are going to be releasing the classic Thames "Benny Hill Show" COMPLETE and UNCUT in its original hour-long format, beginning with the first Thames episode from 1969!
    Details here.
    Deep Discount have this up for pre-order for under $25.
    I worry, though, whenever A&E says anything is "complete" and unedited. They are, after all, the company that gave us "uncut" boxsets that contained edited episodes of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "Mr. Bean." (before anyone asks, I'm not referring to the "chair" scene from Mr. Bean that wasn't in the original transmission, but the missing "turkey/bathroom scale" scene that WAS).

2. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I am all over this one!! I only hope they continue to release the rest of the series over time. I have about 17 Benny Hill 'Best-ofs' on VHS that I'd gladly get rid of if all of the content within makes it to one of these sets. I agree that A&E's idea of "complete" is something left to be desired. I too was disappointed that the turkey/scale scene was cut from 'Merry Christmas Mr. Bean'.

On that note, I'll definitely get this! Thanks so much for the news.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

See, Gord...told ya' they'd be interested! [​IMG]
    I'll get something up on this within 24 hours. It's actually been available for longer than I care to admit. We're just really behind on our news (among other things).

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

$23.98 at DDD it's a no brainer

5. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

This is great news [​IMG] I've been waiting for more "classic" Benny Hill since the "Golden Classics" release. I've already got in on the great DDD price [​IMG]

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Any Benny Hill fans know of an episode guide that will, er, flesh out these first 11 episodes?

I only want to get the one with the "Hot Gossamers" dance number on it... I'm not sure what season that was...

Update. Looks like it may be awhile, the dance number I remember wasn't until Season 10, March 1979...an episode guide I found explains that the Hill's Angels weren't a part of the show until then.

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Great news, this has wide appeal as Benny Hill has wide appeal to lovers of good comedy old and new. His influence can be felt from the Simpsons to Conan O'Brien to Family Guy to Austin powers to Kevin Smith to....the list goes on. This is a very important release.

8. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

can someone confirm or deny what I believe is an "urban legend" around here.

I remember since highschool in the 80's-90's kids used to talk about how there were actually two Benny Hill shows. One that played during the day and one more "risque" at night with actual nudity and such.

I believe it is based on one episode where there is some female frontal nudity (something about an outdoor shower scene IIRC) and the story went that one episode had "slipped by" in the daytime slot.

Never saw another episode with female nudity that I can remember.

9. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Not really two versions...not in the UK, anyway. My local station here in the US used to show more risque versions later at night as well, but I'd always assumed the station had done that on its own. Perhaps the syndicated episodes were flagged by the distributor in such a way that local stations could decide if/when to air a particular episode.

I've never seen original full-length Benny Hill episodes*, so I'm rather tempted by this set!

*"episodes" is misleading because there was never a Benny Hill "TV series", but rather a large number of specials.

10. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Patricia Hayes --

I actually saw "Edna The Inebriated Woman", It was an amazing performance. And deserving of the accolades.

Benny Hill was a true comic genius, one of only a few in the recent history that is TV.

I'll pick this up.

11. AndyMcKinney

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Screenwriter

13. AndyMcKinney

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Screenwriter

16. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

I got this yesterday. Looks great. I hadn't seen the documentary (52 min.) before. The quiz is fun, it runs sight gags depending on whether you get the question right or not. You hardly notice the difference on the 3 B&W episodes, but there's probably a lot of stuff that's rarely been rerun in North America.

It's not a bad deal considering it's an A&E/English show. Maybe that's a sign of a new trend in competitive pricing.

17. AndyMcKinney

18. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

can someone explain to me the Hills Angels?

I dont seem to remember them. what type of dancers

were they? did they dance nude? any pics someone can link me too?

is that austrailian bit available dvd yet.. there are several titles that are already out on dvd from other companies. here's whats out according to dvd price search

Benny Hill's World Tour: New York Comedy Image

Benny Hill: Complete and Unadulterated: The Naughty Early Years: Set 1 Comedy A & E

Benny Hill: Golden Classics TV Classics HBO

Benny Hill: Golden Greats TV Classics HBO

Best Of Benny Hill TV Classics Anchor Bay

Christmas TV Episodes: Beverly Hillbillies / Jack Benny / Ozzie And Harriet

19. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

Which episodes contain the skits where he would read a poem but two letters were switched? Those were my favorite routines.

Randy

20. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter