What's new

Blu-ray Review Ben-Hur: 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I bought a 3 disc UK version and watched disc #1 last night and thought the film looked and sounded great. I did notice that there seemed to be a "skip" in the image - as if there was a missing frame or two - in three different scenes. I didn't note the timecodes, so I can't say exactly when they happened. Has anyone else noticed this?

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I'm glad someone else saw it, too. Do we know if this was a defect in the negative, or a gaffe in the restoration?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm pretty sure those are just edits that are more glaring than most. I remember a few of them throughout the film from even back in my VHS watching days.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The scene on the ship between Arrius and Judah has a cut in which some dialogue of Arrius' about the death of his wife and son was cut.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I have no idea if something was cut as far as dialogue, there is nothing wrong with either the disc or the restorative efforts.

The shots in discussion are No. 92 and 93 as conformed and cut to the A roll of reel 6A on 6/24-25/1959.

The second part of the shot after the missing footage is actually the ending of the previous take.

Checking the original screenplay would give a hint as to potentially cut dialogue.

RAH

Jeff F.

Second Unit
There isn't a cut in dialogue or sound, just in picture, and it's during a single take, not during a camera angle change. It's as if it skips a frame or two, but the sound is not affected. Perhaps I got a bad disc? This did not occur on disc #2, just on the first one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Jeff F.

There isn't a cut in dialogue or sound, just in picture, and it's during a single take, not during a camera angle change. It's as if it skips a frame or two, but the sound is not affected. Perhaps I got a bad disc? This did not occur on disc #2, just on the first one.

There is no cut in picture.

The end of the scene is from the previous take, and gives the appearance of missing footage.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
LINK: Ben Hur (1959) Video Release Comparison

The video above is best viewed in 1080p on an HDTV, not streamed on a phone.

632022FC-B133-4F33-9630-CBD3331123A3.jpeg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As soon as I saw the title I immediately thought...4K. Come on Warner, we know it's a'coming. :)

Nathan_H

Second Unit
These are great comparisons. This is also what we would see comparing the existing release of the 1925 version versus an HD transfer. It's criminal that one of the most successful movies fo the silent era, for which known good elements exist, is only available as a crappy, muddy SD transfer.

Hopefully the rumored 4k box set will include at least a 1080p version of the 1925 version....... (I wouldn't mind a separate release but that seems unlikely. And if nothing else, a streaming release would be far better than what we have, now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks