What's new

Beginner w/Pre-installed in-ceiling 5.1 (1 Viewer)

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
I'm a beginner to home audio. Have a new home and it is pre-wired with in-ceiling 5.1. Yes I know most of everyone on here is completely against in-ceiling, but that's what I've got. So please no comments on how much in-ceiling audio sucks. I myself love music and movies, but the primary purpose of the room is for movies. The room is 18' 5" X 17'. I've already purchased a sub (Polk PSW505 that I got for a great deal). I'm now in the process of selecting a receiver and speakers. The 3 receivers I'm choosing from are Onkyo TX-NR515, Pioneer VSX-822k and the Yamaha HTR-4065 (all of which I found under $225).

The speakers is where I'm having the problem deciding. My choices that I've found are Polk RC80i's for the front and RC60i's for the rear (confused as to what to use for the center channel). HTD HD-R65AIM's for the front and MP-R65's for the rear or Monoprice 4929 (8" angled) for the fronts and Monoprice 4619 (6 1/2" glass composite 3-ways) for the rears. With all of these I'm lost as to what to use as the center channel since I am aware that it is the most important. The reason I'm looking at the angled ones is because the location of the front speakers is about a ft from the wall, so I need to angle them more towards the center of the room.

I'm not looking for anything crazy. But I do want something that sounds decent to the average listener. If need be, I'm willing to install the center channel on the front wall, but need help determining the location of said speaker and also which one to use with each setup that I have chosen. Also, how will it sound having the center channel on the wall and the rest of the speakers in the ceiling?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Once again I am aware that in-ceiling setups are kinda frowned upon, but this is what I have to work with.

Thanks

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
While its not ideal, you can get good sound from ceiling speakers. Anyone who says otherwise should listen to the 7.1 in-ceiling Triad system in our master bedroom (note the sub is in-wall not in-ceiling). I am using the Triad Bronze 8 LCR series. Not sure what current pricing is as we installed them 10 years ago.

ic_bronze8_lcr.jpg

Here are the L, C and R. The grills are off the C and R so you can see the drivers.

DSC01255 (Medium).JPG

The system sounds incredible. Sorry I don't have any experience with any of the other speakers you mention....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To the OP, no those Triad are no-where near your price range.

Matter of fact, I can't think of a single angled in-ceiling(not even by OnQ Legrand) that is going to come close to $80 per speaker. Seriously though...$400 and in-ceiling? Next person...I'm out.

To Adam...

Not heard those myself, but I have done in-ceiling SpeakerCraft Aim with an Auton ceiling hidden plasma. The "front wall" was a window...the entire thing, so there was no other way...short of attempting to put speakers directly on glass...

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
schan1269 said:
To the OP, no those Triad are no-where near your price range.

Matter of fact, I can't think of a single angled in-ceiling(not even by OnQ Legrand) that is going to come close to $80 per speaker. Seriously though...$400 and in-ceiling? Next person...I'm out.

To Adam...

Not heard those myself, but I have done in-ceiling SpeakerCraft Aim with an Auton ceiling hidden plasma. The "front wall" was a window...the entire thing, so there was no other way...short of attempting to put speakers directly on glass...
Everything I wrote in my original post, I've found within my budget. So both the HTD angled speakers as well as the Monoprices, are all within my budget. My question is between the Monoprices, HTD's and Polk's (which would not be angled) which ones would sound better? Also what to do for a center channel for either set that I choose?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didn't realize HTD had angled in-ceiling. Why not buy a level 2 HTD center? I'm assuming their angled speaker doesn't have the Kapton.If you choose the MP, why not a MP center? Is the center also in the ceiling? If so...buy speakers sold individually, or buy two pairs and have an extra. Incase something happens to one. Cause these speakers are going to be in your ceiling for the next 50+ years.

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
schan1269 said:
I didn't realize HTD had angled in-ceiling.Why not buy a level 2 HTD center? I'm assuming their angled speaker doesn't have the Kapton.If you choose the MP, why not a MP center?Is the center also in the ceiling? If so...buy speakers sold individually, or buy two pairs and have an extra. Incase something happens to one. Cause these speakers are going to be in your ceiling for the next 50+ years.
As far as the centers go, the center channel is also in the ceiling. So I wasn't sure if I should get the same center channel as my front LR or if I needed to get a different speaker for my center. I would really like to keep the center in the whole that is already there for the center (in the ceiling) but didn't know how it would sound. I can purchase both the Monoprice and HTD angled speakers both individually and as a pair. The Polks I would have to purchase as a pair.

Of the 3 sets, which one would sound better? I've read reviews on all of them, and they are all decent reviews. Until I started researching though I had never heard of HTD or Monoprice. I've always known of Polk though (being a car audio fan), but I'm trying to stick away from buying something based on name. If the HTD's or Monoprice sound better than the Polk's then I have no problem purchasing them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To make this choice easy for you...

Find out what the return process is for all three. Buy all three and return the two you don't like.

I doubt you'd be out more than 15% re-stocking fee with any of it. And maybe on the hook for a return shipping amount.

Except for the HTD, you can get those on Amazon(I know the Polk is...the MP probably is). Amazon has yet to charge me to return anything.

Edit:
You could always just buy a pair from each(you don't need all 5 for a tryout). Go get yourself a piece of MDF/drywall(something) from the Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards "gonna throw it away anyway" bin...and try all three temp mounted. It shouldn't be too tough to mount and remove any of them.

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
Thanks for the help schan. I believe both HTD and Monoprice have a 30 day trial in case you don't like them you can return them.

Has anyone on here heard the Monoprice or HTD's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks