What's new

Beginner question...Trying to hookup projector using a hdmi to dvi cable (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll take a stab that you had this HTiB connected to a TV before. Then you swapped in the projector.You probably need to unplug the HTiB from the wall to reset HDCP.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
I had it hooked to a different, much less nice, projector using the rca jacks. Let my try unplugging it....

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
unplugging didn't fix anything, BUT the new component cable just showed up so I'm gonna hook everything up that route and see what happens.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
Nothin, absolutely nothin. Is it possible ALL the inputs could be bad? I'm very much ready to chuck this thing into a pond!

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
yes it happens,but it was in my price range and seemed like it would work great! so am I just SOL now? Or should I try something else?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Find another player with HDMI. I have a hard time believing you get a menu with dead inputs.99% of non-working projectors are projectors that won't turn on.This one turns on. Can you call the guy and ask him to give you instructions? Have a found a manual for it?In other words. In makes zero sense you get to a menu, but no picture.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
Ok. I've got the manual...its an easy download. Guy remembers struggling with it's inputs for 7hrs, but can't remember how it was hooked up in the end. They used it for a drive-in.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Glad I went to bed before reading that.Using that projector for a 100" screen is like using a sledgehammer on trim finishing nails.Hopefully you get it to work. I have no more ideas. I just can't imagine that projector being used that small. You could darn near tan with that thing.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
Well, currently it doesn't matter since it wont put out images of any size. lol. Thanks for your help. Any recommendations on a projector that you think would work better?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I found this while scanning the Sharp manual. Maybe this is the issue?
This DVI port is DVI version 1.0 compatible. Therefore when the signal is input from copy
guard system compatible (DVI version 2.0) equipment, no signal will be received.
I run my projector using a HDMI to DVI cable (Optoma H27 projector, DVI-D, I believe), but I don't really know the details of DVI version 1.0 vs. 2.0. But "copy guard" mentioned above make me think it might be some issue with the copy protection schemes on discs you are trying to view.

Found this in a wikipedia discussion of DVI:
In the reverse scenario, a DVI monitor that lacks optional support for HDCP might be unable to display protected content, even though it is otherwise compatible with the HDMI source.
My Optoma supports the HDCP "handshake". It sounds like the Sharp may not.

Users who are viewing this thread