What's new

Beethoven boxed set - 60 CDs - for Euro 39 (1 Viewer)

Charles Miller

Auditioning
Just got this e-mail from Amazon:

We're writing about the order you placed on September 20 2007 05:09 PDT

(Order# xxxxxxxxx). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Beethoven (Artist) "Beethoven: Complete Masterpieces (Germany) (60 CD Limited Edition Box Set) [Box set] [Import]" [Audio CD]
Estimated arrival date: 10/27/2007 - 11/06/2007

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's basically what Dennis suggested, IMO: they're getting them over from Germany. The delay is negligible, isn't it?

Cees

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got that email as well.

In fact, I got TWO of them! The other was for some toys I ordered for my son.

Geez. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The fact that they don't charge until they ship puts this in the category of "annoying, but no big deal."

I've had experiences with small wargame publishers where I paid for something a year before it shipped!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope you guys end up getting your sets. The decision for me to "spring" for the quicker shipping was really an "impulse buy."

In hindsight I'm glad to have it in hand (having paid the extra $3) than be wondering if I'm going to be able to secure the deal.

So much for mocking me as the "big spender", though! :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You'll get yours Frezon. You may have to endure the wrath of Susie the alpha cat.

Quotation from Chairman Susie: "Bush may be the decider, but I am the biter." (insert fanged kitty gif here)

[considers adding this to his signature.....]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've never had an import CD that was delayed like this shipped. I've ordered plenty of import CDs from Amazon.

Ordered it for $59.99 from Archiv Music. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've still got a late October ship date...I just checked a few minutes ago. Phil, when did you place your order? Mine was ordered 19 October 07.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I just got word that my new 85 CD Complete Beethoven was shipped (from Germany - will have it in two or three days if all goes well).

Philip: it still could be earlier.
At least: once, when an order of mine (book) had to change somewhat more too, I suddenly got an arrival date several months further, which simply appeared to be in error, because it appeared much earlier. Apparently the system isn't flawless, especially when some hands have to type changes.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Forgot to tell you that my set arrived.

It's a magnificent set, by the same Brilliant Classics label (Foreign Media Group) as the previously released Bach-, Mozart- and Chopin-sets. (The other Beethoven set is by Sony BMG, known from a certain rootkit incident in the past, but I did not notice any unwanted side effect yet. Haven't played it on my PC, so that's no surprise. :) )

It is clearly a different set than the Sony's (although that one looks more in line, with coloured green artwork the same as the Bach- and Mozart-sets, this one is basically cream coloured), only one or two orchestras or performing artists appear on both (e.g. Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, David Zinman), but not doing the same piece.

I haven't really studied it profoundly yet, and only listened to parts of Fidelio and a few piano pieces, but the impression is that these seem to be more "great international eternal" performances by a more diverse choice of performers and orchestras.

If Van Beethoven is one of your favourites, you will probably buy both. If you want absolutely top-notch (some: historical) performances, and/or completeness on your set, or simply the same Brilliant Classics label as the previously released complete sets of the other composers, this is the one to choose.

If you want an extensive, rather complete library of Van Beethoven works and you're not seeking total completeness or acclaimed famous artists, you would buy the least expensive (Sony) set, because it's magnificent in its own right.

(Despite the difference in price, both are absolute worth their money, absolute steals, I'd say.)

That's my impression anyway. A first one.

Cees

PS:
What's missing on the Sony set? You may not believe this, but I can't tell you yet. I didn't study it enough, apparently, to find the differences in this respect. I did give it a rather thorough look, but every time I believed I found some missing piece, it was there on the other set after all. Or else I had to believe its presence ("Nah, the Coriolanus Ouverture can't be missing"). Yet I'm sure there must be something on those 25 CDs that are missing on the 60CD set. Perhaps some of the songs ("Lieder") or Piano pieces.
C.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Can we see some photos of the set? I just can't really imagine 85 CDs like that.

It sounds like a great set and once it's available at the US Amazon I'll likely pick it up.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the cases, I meant maybe we could see what it looks like up close and from different angles, in comparison, say, to a person. Must be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks