What's new

Been out of the loop for a while.....Need a new DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Have you checked out the huge thread for the Pioneer DV-563A in this forum? It runs for about $170 and it plays SACD and DVD-A formats along with all of the others. I bought it a few months ago and absolutely love it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm pretty close to getting a new dvd player too.

i'm really curious about the samsung. i like the idea of having the dvi connection, but since i am connecting it to a rptv, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. also remember the dvi connection must be hdcp compliant.

the pioneer is also on my very short list. for 200 bucks, you get dvd, sacd & dvd-a. soundandvison mag gave it a product of the year award - so it can't be all that bad.

the bravo is another intriguing possibility, but i'm not hearing stellar things about it. there seems to be a lot of reliability issues with it. at least the dvi connection on this unit does NOT have to be hdcp compliant.

some guys also recommended the denon 1600? a rock solid performer i'm told....

edit: bravo vs samsung discussion

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just picked up a Onkyo SP-301 for $150 at 6th ave electronics. This dvd player is great, I already have a Panasonic RP-62 and I wanted to try out a few of these newer dvd players, so I went and picked up a Pioneer 563 and this Onkyo SP-301. The Pioneer went back the next day the picture was blurry and the sound wasn't as good as the Pansonic I already own. So then I hooked up the Onkyo and was very suprised. Audio wise, it exceeds the panasonic with more life like sound and a more immersive home theater experience, the panasonic at times sounded a little tinny to me. Video wise the Onkyo even without Faroudja processing beat the RP-62. The colors are much more vibrant and the pictue is much more filmlike then the panasonic. So believe it or not I am now using the Onkyo as my main player on my 47 inch hdtv and regulating the panasonic to second bedroom status. I can't say enough about this player it is spectacular and it even plays JPEG's from my digital camera that I burned on a cd.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks