What's new

Been out of the loop for a while.....Need a new DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Hello everyone. Been out of the HT loop for a good bit but now Im back and am buying up new stuff. Im starting with a DVD player. I had a Panasonic RVK32 (I think thats what the name was). Pretty good player but Id like to make a step up. It can be a changer and it can be PGScan but since I dont as of yet have an HD TV I wont be able to utilize it till a later date. No harm in having it though. Id like to spend under $200. If you guys can recommend a brand and model Id really appreciate it. Thanks.

SamC

Agent
I'm very interested in the responses here too Alex. You've saved me from posting a new thread.

I have a Toshiba SD-1200 that's starting to play up, so I'm looking to upgrade. I know Toshiba are still making some good stuff.

I'm after a progressive scan player, preferably with a (much) quicker layer-change than the 1200. Also would like multi-disc, but not essential. Would prefer better single disc perfomance than so-so multi-disc.

Can anyone help either of us?

Cheers,
Sam

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Sam - Glad I could be of service. Ive been doing some reading and it seems that the concensus is that Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba are probably the best choices in this price range. I can't seem to find any specific recommendations on models, just brands. Ill agree that great Single-Disc is much better than Average Multi-Disc.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Let me tag along here too. I want an inexpensive but decent standby player.

I got back from vacation to find my 2 year old Panny RP91 inop so it's in the shop. It's been there 2 weeks now and may be there for a long time while they figure out what's wrong with it. Replacing the main board didn't fix it.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement DVD player to use while my RP91 is being repaired. DVD output goes to a Hitachi 32UDX10S direct view HDTV. I probably don't need to pay extra for PS.

I'd prefer digital coax out from the player so I don't have to buy an optical cable.

Has there been a non-progressive scan shootout?

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I picked up a Samsung P231 at BB the other day. I had a $75 gift card so it only cost me $15. The Toshiba SD3900 was $10 more, but both were PS and I believe both use the same Zoran deinterlacer.

Playing around with the Samsung P231, I cannot tell any difference between 480i and 480p mode with or without my direct view Hitachi's 3:2 pulldown mode enabled (movie mode). This was using Video Essentials test images in Chapter 15.

I suspect PS is less critical on a DV HDTV than a RPTV. But I wonder if the Tosh 3900 would be a better choice for only $10 more. The Sammy is not bad, but not as good as the RP91.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Ive never really heard anything too great about the Samsung DVD players. Anyone else got any info on the subject?

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Just got back from H.H Gregg interested in Dvd-audio and Sacd players..my usuall a/v shop is closed today

Anyway,They have a Panasonic with dvdaudio and progressive scan on sale for $122 or somewhere right in that range,I might pick it up later this week if i cannot find somthing in the same price range with a black shell....the Panasonic was silver(hate trendy stuff).

It looked like a solid piece of equipment to me however I have not really shopped for any new a/v gear in a few years

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Ive been reading the reviews on amazon and the Panasonics seem to be very mixed. Doesn't seem to be that way for the Toshibas.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Here's a list of DVD players with and without the chroma upsampling error. You'll find Toshiba in the list WITH the CUE.

This may or may not be important to you. Check the link for more info.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Do a google search on "Panasonic H02" - it's the error message that just occured on my DVD-RP82 and many other DVD models. Purchased in Nov '02 with light usage, this is unbelievable. Only 90 days warranty coverrage for labor. My last Panasonic purchase.... too bad considering the Pix quality was excellent for the price.

I may check out the Toshiba - my original 2109 is still hanging in there. It just looks like crap on the HDTV, but fine on the CRT.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I was checking out the Cnet ratings and they say the Panasonic S35 is pretty good. Anyone have experience with this line?

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Anyone else? Would have thought that this topic would garner a little more attention.
Tell me about it. I had asked specifically about the Denon DVM 4800 changer shortly before your post, and no one responded to my post. Surprising, since I figured a popular company like Denon would have many satisfied 4800 owners out there. I took the silence as a sign to stay away from the 4800. I guess our fellow HTFers are busy upgrading other components at this time and not too concerned with DVD players.

I also wonder, how much stock do you all put into those DVD player shootouts. I mean, of all those categories they grade the players on, how many of them are readily apparent when watching a DVD?

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to know which players, besides the RP91 upscale non-anamorphic DVDs. I have a Pioneer SD533 that zooms nonanamorphic movies (scan lines are slightly more visible over anamorphic) and would like a scaling player.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
My Toshiba SD-5109 took a fall this morning at the hands of my cats.

I'd be interested in any input as to whether it is worth fixing or if I should just get a new one.

My budget is only about $200-$300 Canadian, but the player I had is already a few years old, so I'm wondering if I can find a progressive scan player that's at least as good in that price range.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
This link takes you to the definitive DVD shootout tests that most of us treat as gospel. Unfortunatly they haven't yet tested the latest panasonics to see how they stack up against the previous models. Some early reports from users here though say they're pretty decent but from what I understand they are no longer using the faroudja chip so I'd bet they don't bench as well. Still they're likely better bets then most players out there at the lower price points. If you can stretch the dollar to go up to the Denon 1600 or to a slightly lesser degree the Denon 900 you'll have a reference player.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Thanks for the link Andrew but it pretty much confirms what most who frequent the boards already know. The RP82 and Denon's are great players. Im more interested in knowing how the newest generations of players performed, as well as some of the major brands that were not tested, like Sony, Toshiba, and Samsung to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks