What's new

Blu-ray Review Bedknobs and Broomsticks Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The WDW shirt was a nice touch, seeing how that opened in 1971, too.

As for the pencil lines, Milt Kahl had this to say:
Barrier: Your mentioning The Aristocats reminded me of the construction lines that are visible in the old lady and the lawyer in the opening scenes.

Kahl: When I've shown rough tests to people, they seem to have enjoyed them. I think that if the animation is good and the character's believable, I don't think there's anything wrong with the thing being frankly a drawing. I don't think [the construction lines] really bother anyone. It's like the flicker of Xerox: at least the flicker of Xerox is a three-dimensional flicker, a flicker in depth rather than a flicker from side to side. And that's what we used to get in inking, especially in the very slow-moving scenes. When you have something that's held, re­gardless of how slowly it moves into the hold, it'll freeze [in Xerox]; and what I've done, very much in the past, is to have two drawings, one a tracing of the other, and alternate them. It's not that there's anything wrong with the freeze, but the audience will become conscious of it.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I feel sorry for this guy because he just doesn't get it that they don't care. I do feel his pain as I have lost hope for them to ever offer us quality with restored material again.....or bluray 3D.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
SFMike said:
I feel sorry for this guy because he just doesn't get it that they don't care. I do feel his pain as I have lost hope for them.
This is the wake-up call for a lot of us: discerning consumers, Disney's just not that into you.

What is the alternative, say nothing and ensure Disney will do nothing?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
As far as just downloading it directly from iTunes or Amazon, it looks like the extended version has been completely removed from both sites. Obviously, there could be a variety of reasons for this, but it would be difficult not to come to the conclusion that they seem to be actively suppressing the extended version.

Really bizarre.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Bryan Tuck said:
Obviously, there could be a variety of reasons for this, but it would be difficult not to come to the conclusion that they seem to be actively suppressing the extended version.
Disney actively suppress a movie? Whatever gave you that idea? I think the chance of that is zip. ;)

The irony is that they are adding the iTunes extras. As for Music Magic, they end its description by saying, "and learn why some of them had to be cut." No, they didn't have to be cut. The Committee made a collective decision to do so rather than stand up to Radio City Music Hall. Likewise, Disney had a choice between the following options:

—Release both versions, everyone's happy.
—Release the uncut version, only those who prefer it are happy.
—Release the cut version, only those who prefer that are happy.

and they chose the last one. There is no explanation. Do they intend never to release the uncut version again? Technically, it is also a theatrical cut as it has had a handful of theatrical playdates (and I've managed to miss them all). If Disney wanted to improve on the dubbing, they could get English voice actors.

In the end, there's only so much of what was done to it that can be undone, but what can be done should be. And I would have been willing to wait for the disc if that was necessary and if they were willing to do so.

Let Criterion have it if they want it. Throw in Song of the South so they can deal with whatever happens after. Or maybe if Shout! and Disney want to make a deal, they can include this. Anything to get this film away from Disney.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
MatthewA said:
Disney actively suppress a movie? Whatever gave you that idea? I think the chance of that is zip. ;)
I know :) I just figured this was a case of their not wanting to pay for the seamless branching preparation and authoring. And if they are suddenly trying to keep the extended version from being available (and of course I don't know if they are), I really can't figure out the reason for it.

Also, it appears that there are still a few bits missing from the deleted scenes and songs section that were in the extended cut.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Bryan Tuck said:
I know :) I just figured this was a case of their not wanting to pay for the seamless branching preparation and authoring. And if they are suddenly trying to keep the extended version from being available (and of course I don't know if they are), I really can't figure out the reason for it.

Also, it appears that there are still a few bits missing from the deleted scenes and songs section that were in the extended cut.
I doubt it's because they want to go back and re-restore it in a way that missing audio parts can be made to match the original actors as much as possible; the most you can really do is change the pitch and use an equalizer it to recreate the unusual aural characteristics of dialogue in Disney films of this era. They should have thought about that 20 years ago. Imagine how "Nobody's Problems For Me" would sound when played with a real orchestra.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Other reviews are scarce, but Greg Ehrbar, co-author of the indispensable book Mouse Tracks, has a review with an unusual suggestion that Disney is sure to ignore because it makes too much sense: let Disney Movie Club do the uncut version on Blu-ray. Now that they're releasing The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and The Apple Dumpling Gang as BD exclusives, they might as well.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sorry, but I'll never watch B&B without the full "Eglantine" sequence ever again. It's my favorite part of the whole movie (two comic troupers doing what they do best and selling it hard to the cheap seats, it's a wonder to behold) and I personally think it's unconscionable that Disney is pretending that they never did the expensive restoration work in the first place. That being said, they can do what they want and so can I. They don't care if I buy their blu-ray so I'm not going to. I've been perfectly happy with the longer cut on DVD so, if Disney wants to pretend the longer cut doesn't exist, I'll just pretend the blu-ray doesn't exist and spend that money on something else. They don't need my money and I don't need their inadequate blu-ray.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Will Krupp said:
Sorry, but I'll never watch B&B without the full "Eglantine" sequence ever again. It's my favorite part of the whole movie (two comic troupers doing what they do best and selling it hard to the cheap seats, it's a wonder to behold) and I personally think it's unconscionable that Disney is pretending that they never did the expensive restoration work in the first place. That being said, they can do what they want and so can I. They don't care if I buy their blu-ray so I'm not going to. I've been perfectly happy with the longer cut on DVD so, if Disney wants to pretend the longer cut doesn't exist, I'll just pretend the blu-ray doesn't exist and spend that money on something else. They don't need my money and I don't need their inadequate blu-ray.
My sentiments exactly. I couldn't say it any better, so I'll simply "Like" this post and say "You tell it like it is, will!"

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Will Krupp said:
Excellent post...I fully agree.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even if you do buy it, neither Richard M. Sherman nor any of Robert B. Sherman's children will see a dime from it. Bob addressed the issue of home video royalties in Moose:
In 1984 however, [that other Robert Stevenson musical] touched a whole new generation and became the second best selling video of all-time. I know this because I got an engraved plastic plaque from some organization stating as much. The film that beat out ... was a blue picture called Deep Throat. Ironically, neither Dick and I ever saw a dime from those ... video sales. I'd be happy to give back the plaque and take the money instead. An accountant once informed me that back money we would probably be owed by now would be in the neighborhood of 15 million dollars.
And that's just from that one movie. Add in the others they worked on and who knows how much it would be!

And Will,

If I could like your post a million times, I would.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Question about the extended version. I don’t have a copy on DVD but just saw two different versions at a used bookshop. Is one of these better than the other? The choices were:

-30th Anniversary Edition
-Enchanted Musical Edition

Both were single disc editions with what appeared to be different bonus features but same feature runtime, 139 minutes I think. The Blu-ray I have lists only 117 so I’m guessing that means both of those DVD versions are extended. The Enchanted Musical Edition was a couple bucks more.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recently purchased the digital version from iTunes. I wasn’t aware there was a controversy. Is the iTunes version edited?

Edit: nevermind. I’ve read thru most of the tread.
Too bad it’s not complete.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This thread and the South Pacific thread got bumped around the same time after years and years. Interesting.

Question about the extended version. I don’t have a copy on DVD but just saw two different versions at a used bookshop. Is one of these better than the other? The choices were:

-30th Anniversary Edition
-Enchanted Musical Edition

Both were single disc editions with what appeared to be different bonus features but same feature runtime, 139 minutes I think. The Blu-ray I have lists only 117 so I’m guessing that means both of those DVD versions are extended. The Enchanted Musical Edition was a couple bucks more.

Yes. The 30th Anniversary Edition has a longer version of the "Music Magic" featurette, ironically the same one on the Blu-ray (which was longer yet when the restored cut made its 1998 TV debut on The Disney Channel). The transfers of the film are exactly the same, but the Enchanted Musical Edition has a French-Canadian track, which is the only restored version dub I've found thus far; all the songs are dubbed except "The Old Home Guard."

With the stage version coming and when Tom Jones and Waterworld can get multiple cuts on the same disc and with a double-dip on Hocus Pocus, hopefully the matter will be revisited.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Matthew! I had a feeling you’d know the best answer for this!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I recently purchased the digital version from iTunes. I wasn’t aware there was a controversy. Is the iTunes version edited?

Edit: nevermind. I’ve read thru most of the tread.
Too bad it’s not complete.

Well, it is the "complete" original theatrical cut, which I actually prefer (though I still think a 130-minute or so cut would probably be ideal).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Disney couldn't even stop themselves after whittling it down to two hours, as there's an even shorter version out there! For some reason, they thought that they could bring it closer to the running times of the two 1940s hybrids and still make any kind of sense and not infuriate anyone who had seen it in two hours, never mind those who had any idea of what was censored* from the original cut. If you try to justify one round of cuts, then you enable another. Not even the Sherman Brothers could make it through that cut. I did exactly once on syndicated TV in 1993. The 97-minute version really is a butchery beyond belief; if you had never seen the longer versions, you would only be confused, and if you had, you would be angry at Disney for desecrating the film that did the most to justify going on without Walt around. But had they waited longer than they had to make it, they wouldn't have had Roy around, either.

Thanks Matthew! I had a feeling you’d know the best answer for this!

You're welcome. If Disney+, the name of the new streaming service starting next year, gets the two 70s hybrids uncut along with Song of the South**, then it might be worth the investment.

*Yes, I dare call it censorship when the cuts included almost all of Roddy McDowall's scenes and most instances of same-sex touch dancing on Portobello Road. I did, however, find it very amusing to see him and Ricky Schroder on the same bill on TCM.
**They co-existed peacefully prior to the 1990s and 2000s when this was still persona grata. B&B and Pete's Dragon came to video in 1980 and aired on The Disney Sunday Movie in the 1986-1987 TV season, coinciding with Song of the South's last two appearances in US movie theaters. All were available on video in the UK in the 1990s where Bedknobs got an uncut VHS before the US did. No one protested.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks