What's new

Bedknobs and Broomsticks blu-ray on August 12 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
darkrock17 said:
I have the taped 25th Anniversary special that aired on The Disney Channel's Vault Disney late night block in the summer of 1997, I think. That special has the full making of documentary, that the DVD's only had half of, as well as behind the scenes triva during the commerical brakes.
Why was that not included on the DVD? Could it just not fit on a single disc the way it was originally? The fact that stuff like this exists and is just sitting there gathering dust is secondary to how the movie itself is being treated, but it's still bothersome.

They cut that special even further on the last DVD, cutting the stuff with Scott MacQueen talking about the cuts.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MatthewA said:
Why was that not included on the DVD? Could it just not fit on a single disc the way it was originally? The fact that stuff like this exists and is just sitting there gathering dust is secondary to how the movie itself is being treated, but it's still bothersome.

They cut that special even further on the last DVD, cutting the stuff with Scott MacQueen talking about the cuts.
They cut the making of for the 2009 release? I guess they thought talking about restorations would be boring to kids.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
darkrock17 said:
They cut the making of for the 2009 release? I guess they thought talking about restorations would be boring to kids.
They didn't used to. Pollyanna had a wonderful segment on its restoration that explained how color negative works without getting too technical. And The Disney Channel used to have lots of informative segments like these. Today's Disney would never do anything like Man in Space. Even the Disneynature stuff is just re-hashed BBC footage from Planet Earth instead of stuff they actually shot themselves, like the True Life Adventures were.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
MatthewA said:
Pollyanna had a wonderful segment on its restoration that explained how color negative works without getting too technical.
You beat me to it, Matthew. What a wonderful segment that is!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
classicmovieguy said:
Ah yes, the "Vault Disney" DVD series, which barely fulfilled its tempting promise, never getting past its 4 initial titles.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Love Bug were just "special editions" though they were Vault Disney releases to the core. Then there were the scaled-back versions of the two Witch Mountain movies and the first Apple Dumpling Gang. Those looked like they were supposed to be "Vault Disney Lite" discs, but after that, we were lucky to even get anamorphic transfers, never mind extras!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Freaky Friday was suppose to get the special edition treatment to go along with the remake back in 2003, a year later in 2004 we got the 1976 classic, with the Jodie Foster interview and a Memory game of all things.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
TV doesn't get treated much better. They've only scratched the surface of The Wonderful World of Disney.

When The Golden Girls first came out on DVD, they released Seasons 1 and 2 in mono even though they were in stereo (where available) originally. They didn't do the proper stereo versions until season 3, and they didn't fix those episodes or the cut episode from season 5.

Is there a sanctuary for Disney fans who hate what The Walt Disney Company has become?

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
darkrock17 said:
I have the taped 25th Anniversary special that aired on The Disney Channel's Vault Disney late night block in the summer of 1997, I think. That special has the full making of documentary, that the DVD's only had half of, as well as behind the scenes triva during the commerical brakes.
How long does it run? The 2001 DVD for Bedknobs runs a little over 20 minutes, but the 2009 DVD cuts it down to 11, with the aforementioned cuts being all of Scott MacQueen's talk about the restoration.

I wish Disney had released the full 25th Anniversary special on this Blu-Ray, especially as it's apparent from the 2001 DVD presentation that Lansbury had more to say.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm so furious that there couldn't be more new extras. C'mon Disney, pull the lead out already. The Legends aren't going to be around forever, so while we still have them please produce some worthwhile new commentaries and featurettes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Escapay said:
How long does it run? The 2001 DVD for Bedknobs runs a little over 20 minutes, but the 2009 DVD cuts it down to 11, with the aforementioned cuts being all of Scott MacQueen's talk about the restoration.

I wish Disney had released the full 25th Anniversary special on this Blu-Ray, especially as it's apparent from the 2001 DVD presentation that Lansbury had more to say.
I'd settle for getting the same version of the movie we got on both DVDs, a laserdisc, and a VHS tape. But you are right, and Mr. Browne's quote about regretting lost opportunities later more than applies here.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
darkrock17 said:
It's shocking and sad to me that the Disney Channel got rid of Vault Disney as little kids don't watch late night so why not show older stuff that adults might enjoy. Instead it's 24 hours a day of the crap that passes as entertainment on the Disney Channel today. My nieces watch and like it but I discourage them as I find it unwatchable. It's like a distillation of the worst of sitcoms from the last 40 years. I won't say more because you can watch it for yourself. I've noticed that Disney owned ABC has kind of started to include this same kind of brain-dead programming. i.e. check out Mystery Girls.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
SFMike said:
It's shocking and sad to me that the Disney Channel got rid of Vault Disney as little kids don't watch late night so why not show older stuff that adults might enjoy. Instead it's 24 hours a day of the crap that passes as entertainment on the Disney Channel today. My nieces watch and like it but I discourage them as I find it unwatchable. It's like a distillation of the worst of sitcoms from the last 40 years. I won't say more because you can watch it for yourself. I've noticed that Disney owned ABC has kind of started to include this same kind of brain-dead programming. i.e. check out Mystery Girls.
I was exposed to some of those shows when my sisters were at the right age to enjoy them. Bad enough they subjected me to Barney the Dinosaur when I was a toddler (and even worse that they dumbed down Sesame Street in response to its undeserved popularity), but at least that didn't tarnish Walt Disney's legacy by association. My father always insulted the shows I watched, but when I objected to the shows my sister watched, he said, "they're harmless." No, they're not.

Disney considers the Zoogification of The Disney Channel (and the removal of the word "The") a success, but part of that is the fact that they switched from pay cable to basic cable. Artistically, it has been disastrous. That's So Raven? Nevermore! Give me Road to Avonlea and Mousterpiece Theater any day.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As for the ultra-short version of the "Music Magic" featurette on the 2009 DVD (which they turned into a glorified ad for Wizards of Waverly Place), at first I assumed it was cut because Scott MacQueen had resigned from Disney by then (he left in 2003, IIRC).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Escapay said:

I haven't watched the tape in awhile now, but I think it ran almost 30 mins, 24-25 minus the commerical brakes, but as I said even they were interesting as they had triva questions and other bits of behind the scenes information. I'll have to watch it again and see, the making of documentary aired before the film played complete and commerical free.
classicmovieguy said:
I'm so furious that there couldn't be more new extras. C'mon Disney, pull the lead out already. The Legends aren't going to be around forever, so while we still have them please produce some worthwhile new commentaries and featurettes.
You're not saying anything that hasn't already been said before, this would of been the best time to get Angela to film new stuff because she's currently 88, so this would of likely been Disney last chance to use her.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If they're including the short version with the "deleted and extended scenes" separately as an extra (which is what the press release implies), what's stopping them from using seamless branching?

darkrock17 said:
I haven't watched the tape in awhile now, but I think it ran almost 30 mins, 24-25 minus the commerical brakes, but as I said even they were interesting as they had triva questions and other bits of behind the scenes information. I'll have to watch it again and see, the making of documentary aired before the film played complete and commerical free.
They could have sacrificed one or both of the Mickey and Donald cartoons on the Gold Collection DVD (though Vanishing Private is one of the best WWII-era Donald Duck cartoons) and fit it in its entirety.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MatthewA said:
They could have sacrificed one or both of the Mickey and Donald cartoons on the Gold Collection DVD (though Vanishing Private is one of the best WWII-era Donald Duck cartoons) and fit it in its entirety.
The cartoons made sense when they were apart of the Golden Collection line, but after that on these reissues, they were only added as Disney was too lazy to actually come up with new features as they can't be bothered to actually spend a few months the vaults and pull out some worthwhile things.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They don't even have to create new material. They can just go back to the archives and pull out stuff from the time of the film's production.

And as for the chance of ever hearing an expanded soundtrack, maybe they'll add it to the Legacy Collection (they just released the complete Lion King soundtrack and have plenty more on the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks