What's new

Bedknobs and Broomsticks blu-ray on August 12 (2 Viewers)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Matthew, I thought the whole film used a PAL transfer on all the early Home Video releases in order to fit the film on one tape or one laserdisc.

As much as I love early Home Video, that was a VERY disturbing trend. I'm glad they don't do that anymore.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Amazon has a pre-order up. I sure hope the running time is a typo.

And is it just me or does this look like something that should have been part of the Exclusive Archive Collection? (this is actually my favorite out of all the VHS, laser and DVD covers):

07493.jpg

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
IntoIt said:
Matthew, I thought the whole film used a PAL transfer on all the early Home Video releases in order to fit the film on one tape or one laserdisc.

As much as I love early Home Video, that was a VERY disturbing trend. I'm glad they don't do that anymore.
The probably used time compression much like CBS/Fox did to squeeze Star Wars on one disc. It's a common technique used to this day to cram more commercials into old tv shows and movies.

I would think a PAL master would have the actors sounding a bit like they were on helium?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
IntoIt said:
It was not the original theatrical version. Word on the street, according to press releases, is that it originally ran for 3 hours.
That's a bit long for a Disney film, Bedknobs was shown at Radio City Music Hall and some parts were trimed in order for The Rockettes to perform, from what I've heard. If Disney were to ever find the missing A Step In The Right Direction, given that the restored version runs at 140 mins, the new running time with that sequence added back in would be around 144-148 mins.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Maybe I'm misinterpreting all the available information, but it's my understanding that the version that premiered at Radio City Music Hall in 1971 was the 117-minute version. The theatre required the film to be under 2 hours in order to fit into their program.

The 140-minute version was never shown to the public, unless there were test screenings. It was never properly finished, which is why the reconstruction required the ADR and new orchestrations for certain scenes.

Again, I wasn't there; this is just what I've deduced from what I've read over the years, and what I know about the post-production process.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
The world premiere of Bedknobs and Broomsticks was in the UK on October 7, 1971 at the Odeon Theatre in Leicester Square. It had been over a year after filming wrapped (much of the filming took place on the Walt Disney lot in Burbank, CA from March-June 1970). The American premiere in New York was a month later on November 11.

In that case, we should look for the original British and American programs from both of these showings for information on the running time. If we can find them, that is.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
darkrock17 said:
That's a bit long for a Disney film, Bedknobs was shown at Radio City Music Hall and some parts were trimed in order for The Rockettes to perform, from what I've heard. If Disney were to ever find the missing A Step In The Right Direction, given that the restored version runs at 140 mins, the new running time with that sequence added back in would be around 144-148 mins.
Putting "Step" back in would only add 2:30 to the film's running time; they could have made every other cut but that and still appeased Radio City Music Hall. Though many sites boasted of 22 minutes of new footage at the time, there are actually only 20 minutes of new footage; part of that is the Walt Disney Pictures logo and the restoration credits, which wouldn't be there if the film had been released with the cut scenes intact to begin with. I doubt the song was at the London premiere because the BBFC listing, dated August 11, has it as 117 minutes.

There's also another verse to "The Old Home Guard" on the LP (it fades in directly from the overture) that the studio didn't find in the 1990s. I honestly don't know what else would be missing other than that of Roddy McDowall's scenes; though he's credited as "Mr. Jelk" at the end, no version of the film refers to him by name while the reconstruction restores Captain Greer's first name (Ainsley) and Mrs. Hobday's mention of General Teagler by name. At least we know why he's there, which we didn't before. There's still no scene where Col. Heller, the head Nazi, is referred to by name, either. That's always puzzled me considering none of the animated characters other than Mr. Codfish and Leonidas have names spoken in the film or anywhere else (in the latter case, it's only outside the film).

I doubt Disney would have done another three-hour musical after The Happiest Millionaire, with four versions ranging from 118 minutes to 172 minutes, performed so poorly at the box office, casting a shadow over subsequent musicals. Even The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band was never intended to be more than two-and-a-half hours, about the length of your average Broadway musical, before it got cut to its current form and its roadshow release was cancelled. But unlike Millionaire, it didn't get time to either sink or swim in its originally intended length. Bedknobs was probably never intended to be more than two and a half hours. The other studios' big musicals had come and gone by that time, and many met the same treatment after their respective premieres. This movie is one of the lucky ones; On a Clear Day You Can See Forever lost an hour to the new Paramount management who seemed to judge all musicals by the failure of Paint Your Wagon, and it remains lost.

Supposedly, Disney had their own Christmas show every year for the Music Hall, and IIRC it wasn't just Disney who cut stuff at their request. Wasn't it them who ordered "Coffee Break" gone (forever, apparently) from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying?

What is unknown is the exact point when the order came down to start taking stuff out, only that the Sherman Brothers apparently opposed them every step of the way. Bill Walsh and Robert Stevenson's roles in the editing is also something I have yet to discover. The same volume of Walt's People I have (Vol. 8) that contains the Robert B. Sherman interview that discusses cutting the two Lesley Ann Warren musicals also has an interview with Robert Stevenson, but it's from 1968 and thus predates Bedknobs and has no relevant info on it.

pauljwyatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hello everyone,

The charity benefit world premiere of Bedknobs and broomsticks in aid of the Variety Club of Great Britain and the Cinema and Television benevolent fund was held in London in 1971 and had a print which ran for 1 hour 57 minutes with a film length of 10,537 feet.

The premiere featured members of the cast as well as British actors Reg Varney, Barbara Windsor, Vanessa Redgrave, Charlie Drake ,Vince Hill, Harry H Corbett some of which gave a half hour performance of songs from the Disney Songbook before (Sir) John Mills introduced Angela Lansbury after which the film was screened.

A Witch could be seen flying on her broomstick from the tower of the Odeon Cinema in Leicester Square to mark the occasion. A film crew from the BBC were there to record the event.

I've attached a couple of images from the Cinema propaganda / press book (sent to cinemas across the UK to help maximize ticket sales with details of the print, interviews with cast, music listings and how to order lobby cards and posters during the films initial run in 1971. It is worth noting that this book lists all the songs for the film as being recorded in eight track stereo and they were played back on premiere night in this manner to crowds waiting outside the Odeon.

This was the first film i ever saw and one which i still love to this day. Looking forward to the blu ray release - now if they'd only release the full score from the film.
2014-06-04 13.13.42.jpg
2014-06-04 13.14.47.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
pauljwyatt said:
A Witch could be seen flying on her broomstick from the tower of the Odeon Cinema in Leicester Square to mark the occasion. A film crew from the BBC were there to record the event.
I'd love to see the fotage of that or the pics at least. Do you have more of the program you could share with us?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the info, Paul! That sounds like it was a terrific event.

Is there any new info about what exactly is going to be on this disc? Still hoping that both cuts will be included.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Bryan Tuck said:
Thanks for the info, Paul! That sounds like it was a terrific event.

Is there any new info about what exactly is going to be on this disc? Still hoping that both cuts will be included.
There should of been a press release out by now, not unless it's coming next month?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
darkrock17 said:
There should of been a press release out by now, not unless it's coming next month?
It's not coming next month (July). It's come in about a month and a half. There haven't been any other releases for the other films (AFAIK), so this is not totally out of the ordinary.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

Disney has not sent us an official Press Release....

...however, I took the liberty of visiting their press site and pulled
this information from it. I hope it helps...

Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Synopsis: Let the enchantment begin! Disney’s Academy Award® winning classic, “Bedknobs and Broomsticks” (Best Visual Effects, 1971), soars onto Blu-ray for the first time with an all-new digital master. Experience a dazzling blend of live action and wondrous animation from the producer, director and writer of Mary Poppins, sure to delight the entire family.
Disney legends Angela Lansbury (“Beauty And The Beast”) and David Tomlinson (“Mary Poppins”) star in this beloved film about an apprentice witch who reluctantly takes in three orphan children. Though her first spells create more laughs than magic, Miss Price and the children soon find themselves swept away aboard a fantastic flying bed – their ticket to fun-filled excitement and adventure. Take the ride of your life with “Bedknobs And Broomsticks.”
Cast: Angela Lansbury (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Murder She Wrote”) as Miss Price, David Tomlinson (“Mary Poppins,” “The Love Bug”) as Emelius, and Roddy McDowall (“Planet of the Apes,” “That Darn Cat!”) as Mr. Jelk
Director: Robert Stevenson (“The Absentminded Professor,” “Mary Poppins”)
Writers: Don DaGradi (“Mary Poppins,” “The Love Bug”), Bill Walsh (“Mary Poppins,” “The Love Bug”), and Mary Norton (“The Borrowers”), Ralph Wright (“The Jungle Book,” “The AristoCats”), Ted Berman (“The Fox and the Hound,” “The Black Cauldron”)
Producer: Bill Walsh (“Mary Poppins,” “The Love Bug”)
Rating: G (U.S., CE, CF)
Feature Run Time: 117 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio: TBD
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Latin Spanish
Bonus Features: Music Magic: The Sherman Brothers
Deleted & Extended Scenes
David Tomlinson Recording Session
The Wizards of Special Effects
Theatrical Trailers
Disney Song Selection
Sing Along With The Movie

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Dang. I was hoping both versions would be included. Looks like they just moved the extra scenes to the supplements. I bet what happened is that they made their HD transfer from the release version. I know they had a print of the long version at one time but it may be that the best element they had on the film was the Theatrical version. I know the long version has some issues but, aside from the almost painfully-long "Portobello Road" segment, I actually prefer it to the shorter version. I suppose I'll hold on to my DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks