What's new

"Because Sound Matters" Warner Bros' upcoming online vinyl/dvd-audio store (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/

I signed up for this back in November(?), received a confimation email....and that was it. So I guess they are lining up potential customers???

FYI: Warner Music was bought from Time/Warner a couple years ago & is now a privately-owned company so I hope that means they will be more attuned to what *music fans* actually want to buy.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have a friend who is a famous audio reviewer. Apparently Steve Hoffman is mastering Van Morrison's Moondance for DVDA and LP. There is expected to be many titles on this. The lack of email is just that they are starting and collecting addresses early. They will send something out I am told.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

That is Great News Lee
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
I'll be burning up Internet with my Credit Card should they decide to release a lot of that back catalog, especially if Hoffman (and others of his skill) are behind the controls.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Wonder what the chance is that Red Hot Chili Peppers will ever see a DVD-A release?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
DVD-A, SACD don't care. Imagine his current remaster of Stadium Arcadium to vinyl should remove that horrible unlistenable compression. Worse with every album for quite a few years. We can only hope it gets transferred to a MC medium as well.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have been playing the CD recently, that is just a terrific album and although I hate buying new versions of albums I already own, a DVD-A of that album probably makes it home with me.

Chris

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It would be grand if this site actually goes live and becomes an avenue for getting difficult-to-find/OOP Warner DVD-A titles. For instance, although Amazon Marketplace has used copies, neither Music Direct nor Elusive Disc has The Nightfly any longer.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Excellent news! I signed up...hope this means some good things are instore soon :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting, Ron. Could this be due to the intersection of savvy online consumers buying significant numbers of such titles and b&m stores not having returned product that's been sitting on their shelves for a coupla years?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
My local Future Shop (owned by Best Buy US) has not restocked any of their DVD-A's for 24-30 months (maybe no stock for them to purchase?) and the ones they have left on the shelf they have 'raised the price' of considerably..... seems a weird sales method for a product they seem to want to get rid of for the space.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Paul: you might want to have a title you're interested in scanned by an employee to make sure the price is correct. Thats because early last year (or late 2005? can't remember now) I noticed some DTS-CDs and dvd-a discs were outrageously priced. Like a Doors L.A. Woman for $22 and a Moody Blues DTS-CD for $20, and a Lyle Lovett DTS-CD for $26!! I asked an employee who turned out to be the media manager about this & she checked them herself. IIRC the computer said fifteen dollars for the Doors and sixteen for the Moodys. The Lovett disc was still twenty six for some reason though.

BTW speaking of the Moodys: today I received a Best Buy gift card and tonight went and bought the Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed on DTS-CD. I haven't played it yet but am really looking forward to this disc and especially the music, which I've heard about for years. I actually have owned several other MB albums for several years and their EXCELLENT "mix" compilation double album This Is The Moody Blues* since the mid 80s in CD and vinyl form. But by the late 80s was getting a bit burned out on prog rock and sort of lost interest (was getting into more alternative and punk rock at that time). But I've been getting into other prog-ish groups lately, particuularly stuff from the 60s (does the Jefferson Airplane count?)& am listening to MB more often now, though sadly can't seem to get back into Yes and Rush for some reason. :frowning: King Crimson's In the Court Of The Crimson King is on my "buy soon" list.

FYI: I found this DTS-CD in the large case dvd-a titles usually use and another one in a regular CD jewel case which has been appearing more often. I bought the CD-style version since it fits into a normal rack. Both were mixed in with the regular MB CDs.

The rest of the gift card went to John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. I heard one of the cuts on a listener-supported station here late one night a couple months ago and loved it, the track being "Part 4 - Psalm". And it didn't seem to be that type of jazz that seemed like the musicians were only trying to impress each other with their playing skills, rather than making good music.

* this isn't just a collection of songs thrown together - instead for many tracks the band put together intertrack parts that caused one song to smoothly segue(?) into another & some tracks were actually remixed slightly to make them "flow" better when the album was listened to as a whole. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this 2 disc set was made from the beginning as a regular album.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
doing the bump thing because the thread didn't update itself when I posted the above message(last night one of those "seem to be having trouble with the database" messages appeared when I hit the send button)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The e-mail I got yesterday--followed today by a friend bringing an Acoustic Sounds e-mail to my attention with surprisingly similar titles featured--is (unfortunately IMO) a lot more vinyl- than DVD-A-oriented.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I bought a new Technics turntable 3 years ago (+ Shure cart = $270) so it's not like I don't like spinning rekkids, but I would rather have the hi-res stereo version partly because my hi-res player is a lot better quality than the table/cart combination.

If you want to see who is mastering those vinyl versions (and hopefully maybe the dvd-audio versions if they offer them) read Steve Hoffman's announcement he posted yesterday - already 15 pages of posts. :eek:

I own his Zombies greatest hits sacd (I've only heard the CD layer though) & it really does sound nice, very dynamic with clean - but not harsh - sonic details. "Smooth" is the operative word here. Can crank up the volume to stupid levels and not regret it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks