1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Beatles: Pre-Rubber Soul

Discussion in 'Music' started by Patrick Larkin, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me out on Pre-1965 Beatles? I'd like to fill in my Beatles collection and could use some help deciphering their releases. I've looked at a couple discography sites and notice a lot of releases were duplicates of others and the U.K releases are different still.

I have no Beatles CDs at all before Rubber Soul except Help! What others do I need to to make a somewhat complete collection?

2. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Well-Known Member

You need the following:

Please Please Me
    With The Beatles
    A Hard Day's Night
    Beatles For Sale
    Past Masters, Vol. 1 (all their early singles)

3. Patrick Larkin

So, available CDs are the UK releases? That makes it easier. I suppose I should get both Past Masters CDs too.

I notice an album titled Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Is that on CD? what other CDs are there besides the major releases?

Thanks...

4. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely get 'Past Masters' - both volumes - since they contain songs - some of their best ones - not on the other CDs. Other than that, get the 4 that Peter listed.

I'm not certain but I think Hollywood Bowl was officially released on LP but not CD, though I suppose it's available on bootleg CDs.

The anthology CDs (there are 3 of them) are official and are worth it if you're more than a casual fan. I'd stay away from the various greatest hits CDs ("1" or the earlier "red" or "blue" CDs) since this will result in a lot of duplication of songs.

5. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Well-Known Member

Both Past Masters are definitely must haves. They include all their singles, some of their best known songs. "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand" etc.

The Anthology series is also worth picking up, and "Live at the BBC".

6. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Well-Known Member

Patrick, I was in your shoes once too. I remember the initial confusion when I saw all the american and UK versions (I introduced myself on the vinyl first). The CDs make it much easier. Although it may not be exactly how it was released originally, here is how the catalog stands today on CD:

1963 Please Please Me
    1963 With the Beatles
    1964 A Hard Day's Night [UK]
    1964 Beatles for Sale
    1965 Help! [UK]
    1965 Rubber Soul [UK]
    1966 Revolver [UK]
    1967 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    1967 Magical Mystery Tour
    1968 The Beatles [White Album]
    1969 Yellow Submarine
    1969 Abbey Road
    1970 Let It Be

And then in 1988 when Capitol decided to release all of the previous albums in the current form, they added:

Past Masters, Vol. 1
    And
    Past Masters, Vol. 2

These collect all of the missing songs released as singles and EPs that did not appear on the current incarnations.

If I made any mistakes or over-generalizations, I'm sure they will be corrected immediately.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

8. Mitty

Mitty Well-Known Member

9. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Well-Known Member

Be aware that the CD releases of the albums before "Help!" are monophonic and are also horrible sounding. They need not be, especially since those early albums came out as Stereo LPs.

Hopefully those albums will be re-released with higher fidelity. The Anthology DVD set has some of those early songs in great sonic shape.

Avoid the CD versions of those early albums. Or buy them and see what I mean.

-JNS

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

11. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

12. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Well-Known Member

Ok, they don't sound horrible, but they could and should and can sound better. It's especially a shame that A Hard Day's Night is currently issued in muddy mono when it sounds so much more vibrant in stereo.

Good thing I have the early ones in stereo, albeit recorded off of vinyl. I just hope that official re-releases come out soon.

-JNS

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

They sound way better off vinyl. The CDs are poor. I have not heard the mono vinyl but the stereo vinyl is much more dynamic and clean. I have nothing against mono but the first four Beatles CDs are even worse than the rest of the regular CD releases.

14. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

16. Patrick Larkin

I dont want any greatest hits albums - thanks! I'm too much of a completist.

I'd have to agree that the Beatles songs stepped to another level beginning with Help! but I'd still like their early stuff just to be complete.

What about the "Rarities" album released in 1980. Is that captured on a CD somewhere?

I would get the Anthology but they are so EXPENSIVE. Thats a whole other thread altogether but I'm somewhat amazed that after all the success the CD's are much more expensive than others. I got the Anthology DVD set for $45 but the CD's are $30 each.

17. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

19. Mitty

Mitty Well-Known Member

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member