Beatles in Mono. (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

Those of you getting both who have never heard the mono mixes before, check out "Paperback Writer" and "Revolution" from the Mono Masters disc. Listen to these with headphones and then listen to the stereo versions and you'll realize what you've been missing all these years. These two songs are very different in mono. The mono versions are heavier with much louder guitars. There's hundreds of other examples, but those two are truly awesome in mono.
Jeff,

True enough. They are awesome. And so is the so-called 'double-back drumming' (which I prefer) on the Paperback Writer track. I guess I will be getting this set (even though I own the tracks several times over already). I'd be curious to know whether this particular version of Paperback Writer will be included. Either way, this set will be a first-time treat for many.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Here is the New York Times review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/arts/music/06alla.html

- Steve

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I have the stereo versions now and am sampling them. They are very clean. In Come Together there is some talking in the background I believe. The drums have more of a punch. I want the mono versions more than ever now!

Edit: I've been listening to the naked version of Let It Be for so long that I've Got A Feeling sounds like the tape is dragging now.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but it's also worth mentioning that the stereo box set includes only the remixed stereo versions of Help! and Rubber Soul created by George Martin for CD in the '80s -- the original '60s stereo mixes of each album appears only on the mono box sets.

Jay

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

Hey, it's the law of supply and demand. Just wait until they start turning up on eBay.

You can still get the mono box set from Amazon.co.uk, and the exchange rate is better than $400. Nothing will beat that AAA deal, though, and I do thank the person who posted that here!

- Steve
Steve, I pre-ordered on Amazon (I didn't want to get shut out) and got an E-Mail that additional Mono sets are now being produced

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The text of the E-Mail I rec'd included this:

"The manufacturer has informed us that they will be producing additional mono box
Code:
sets due to high demand. While the box set remains a limited-production item, it will not be capped at 10,000 copies for the U.S. market, as originally reported.
"

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, EMI decided to manufacture more of the mono box sets. They should start hitting stores in October.

Hopefully the proactive emails from places like Amazon and Acoustic Sounds will save people from going to eBay and paying scalpers prices.

- Steve

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Starbucks is also getting in the Beatles spirit: beginning 09/09 there are about 75 or so Beatles songs in the store's music rotation (hits and deep cuts) plus we are carrying "Help!", "Sgt. Pepper", "Abbey Road" and "Rubber Soul".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a Beatles-ologist like some of you guys so I've got a question. If I got the stereo set, would I be missing anything from the mono set? Obviously, the mono mixes but is there anything else exclusive to the mono set?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
The mono set has exclusive to it the original 1965 stereo mixes of "Help!" and "Rubber Soul". The ones in the stereo box are the 1987 remixes done by George Martin. Also the packaging is different (and arguably better) in the mono box.

Strange, but true, is the fact that I'll most likely start my mono set listening with the 1965 stereo "Rubber Soul"...go figure. so I've got a question. If I got the stereo set, would I be missing anything from the mono set? Obviously, the mono mixes but is there anything else exclusive to the mono set?

Charles Miller

Auditioning
I don't think there are any actual "unique" recordings in the mono set, but there are some major differences in some of the songs. For example, "Help!" has an entirely different leaad vocal. There are different harmonica parts in "From Me to You" and "Thank You Girl". "Helter Skelter" is a minute shorter in mono, but "It's All Too Much" MAY be the unedited recording which lasts almost nine minutes.

Again, the mono mixes are those that the Beatles took part in. The stereo versions were for the most part an afterthought before 8-track recording began to be used for the White Album.
Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]

I'm not a Beatles-ologist like some of you guys

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This morning, my oldest daughter came into our library and asked to borrow a CD recording of A Hard Day's Night, All You Need Is Love, and Yellow Submarine. She wanted to burn them on to her ipod. Although I have these tracks in multiple formats, I thought it would be a nice gift to order these CDs for her, which I did. And I must say that it was tempting not to pre-order the remastered versions when I saw them in all their glory on Amazon.com. :)

Although I'd like to take credit for influencing her to listen to these tracks (our children have heard nothing but Beatles, other 1960s rock, and classical music most of their lives in our home), it has more to do with her seeing all of the advertising for Rock Band and the sets being discussed in this thread. The hype reminds me in some ways of when Anthology I was released.

One of the most interesting stories for me about the release of Anthology I is that it made Pete Best a millionaire. One of my best friends is a personal friend of Pete's. And he says that Pete is a great guy, and very humble. I have spoken to Pete Best on the phone, and I considered that to be quite an honor. Perhaps one day I will get to meet him as well.

Our children are pooling their money to obtain Rock Band. I may eventually spring for this CD set if my children show enough interest in the group.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Actually, unique to the Mono 'Past Masters' are the actual mono mixes of the new songs for 'Yellow Submarine', that were made for the film, and never actually committed to an album (YS Mono is, of course as discussed many times, simply a stereo fold-down), although there was discussion of the idea originally.

Originally Posted by Charles Miller

I don't think there are any actual "unique" recordings in the mono set, but there are some major differences in some of the songs. For example, "Help!" has an entirely different leaad vocal. There are different harmonica parts in "From Me to You" and "Thank You Girl". "Helter Skelter" is a minute shorter in mono, but "All Together Now" MAY be the unedited recording which lasts almost nine minutes.

Again, the mono mixes are those that the Beatles took part in. The stereo versions were for the most part an afterthought before 8-track recording began to be used for the White Album.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I've been listening to the Dr. Ebbetts for years now and would love to read a comparison of the two, if anyone comes across something like that.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Continuing my life long financial idiocy, I plan to pick up the mono set as soon as possible. Sadly, Richard Corliss of TIME magazine, seems to think I could get the same result by just listening to the stereo version through a single speaker. In the Sept. 14th 2009 issue he types, “For truly obsessive completists, there’s also “The Beatles In Mono”. If you want to hear how every Beatles song sounded on your (or your dad’s or granddad’s) car radio in the ‘60s and have a spare $298.98, this is the one for you.” Corliss probably got comped with the whole shebang and this is the best he could do?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Henry Gale

Continuing my life long financial idiocy...
I thought you were describing me there for a minute, Henry...

Sadly, Richard Corliss of TIME magazine, seems to think I could get the same result by just listening to the stereo version through a single speaker. In the Sept. 14th 2009 issue he types, “For truly obsessive completists, there’s also “The Beatles In Mono”. If you want to hear how every Beatles song sounded on your (or your dad’s or granddad’s) car radio in the ‘60s and have a spare $298.98, this is the one for you.” Corliss probably got comped with the whole shebang and this is the best he could do?
That's just plain ignorant and simplistic. He should know better than that.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I have little doubt that most of the public hearing about the monos think the same thing, that it's the same as hitting a "mono" switch.

Originally Posted by Henry Gale

Continuing my life long financial idiocy, I plan to pick up the mono set as soon as possible. Sadly, Richard Corliss of TIME magazine, seems to think I could get the same result by just listening to the stereo version through a single speaker. In the Sept. 14th 2009 issue he types, “For truly obsessive completists, there’s also “The Beatles In Mono”. If you want to hear how every Beatles song sounded on your (or your dad’s or granddad’s) car radio in the ‘60s and have a spare $298.98, this is the one for you.” Corliss probably got comped with the whole shebang and this is the best he could do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks