What's new

Beatles in Mono. (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm getting both. :) I think that the concept on mono is old enough that many assume it'd be the same thing if you just hit the "mono" button on a receiver (long gone on most systems, of course). The entire mix, EQ...it's quite different in many cases though. The mono mixes were what the Beatles spent time on, it's only later that they seriously mixed for stereo. I can't imagine a casual fan being interested in them, though, hence the limited availability.

Having said that, the "Beatles stereo" releases are what have become are part of my DNA, so I can't be without them. And there are no other bands I would even consider spending this kind of money on. Not even close.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I think the fascination with the mono recordings is partly because they've been so hard to come by. Also, the stories of how much care went into the mono mixes made them legendary (rightly or wrongly).

Plus, the fact that you can now get all the mono recordings on CD for less than what you'd pay for one mono LP of Sgt. Pepper is too good to pass up.

I'm kind of surprised that in the ToneAudio review, the reviewer is kind of ambivalent about the mono Sgt. Pepper CD. Over the years, that's the one that's been sort of held up as the pinnacle of the Beatles mono experience.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
But you know what? I like my stereo. I like to listen to the
Beatles and have that separation in my headphones or car.

That's exactly how I feel though the past couple of months has made more interested in having boths sets because as also noted above, it's not something I can see myself doing for any other band, but I will enjoy all of this so I feel myself seriously interested in getting the mono now.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am also getting both the stereo and mono set, for the reasons already stated. Good news, too--word from EMI today is that they are manufacturing more of the mono set due to demand. Now it is not as limited as before. Hopefully fans will be able to get the set at retail instead of eBay at scalped prices.

- Steve

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"And there are no other bands I would even consider spending this kind of money on. Not even close."

Jack,

I'll second this sentiment. I began purchasing Beatles records (EPs, LPs, and 45s) back in 1967. Even after the advent of the CD, I never ceased purchasing LPs of their music. It's a hobby and a passion of mine.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm getting both as well. I'm excited to hear the differences in the mono mixes, but like everyone else here I grew up with the stereo mixes and there's no way I would be without that set.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I am sort of amazed how many people are going for the mono
set over the stereo.

Not that I am knocking any of you. I read the article and it
appears that the mono discs bring out nuances never heard
before.

But you know what? I like my stereo. I like to listen to the
Beatles and have that separation in my headphones or car.

Hope there is at least one or two others getting the stereo over
the mono.
Except for the first four records, the only way to get the monos is go get sometimes high-priced vinyl records. I paid $50, which was too much for the fair condition, for the mono Sgt. Pepper. I already have most of the albums in stereo either on CD or on vinyl or both. I'm not dissatisfied with the 1987 releases and not a "true believer" in remasters in general, so the stereo remasters are only of passing interest to me. But alternate mono mixes which I've never heard of "Help", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Pepper", "Tour", "White", as well as lots and lots of singles? Where do I sign? It's no surprise to me that the monos are so popular.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I'll be the heathen and admit I'll be getting this in a LOSSY download format!!! =)
Not officially...yet.

Although there is a wldely-held rumor that the 09-09-09 Apple Inc. media event will include the unveiling of the Beatles catalog on iTunes.

- Steve

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I'm just buying the Stereo boxset. I was already planning to buy the Beatles Rock Band Limited Edition and 600 bucks spent on one band in one month is a bit too much, even for The Beatles.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I was in Target yesterday and saw on the "Upcoming Release" poster that they are carrying the remasters. There was no indication as to what they were getting, although my guess is it will be some selection of the individual stereo titles. I'll see if I can find out anything more.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Got to hear some of the stereo mixes today. Vocals are very strong in the right channel and absent in the left. It would drive me nuts listening to these songs in this manner. Still, they are very clean and sound fantastic. The drums really hit and the songs seem to sparkle. I get to bring some home tomorrow evening and sample them.

Can't wait for my mono set to arrive!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm But alternate mono mixes which I've never heard of "Help", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Pepper", "Tour", "White", as well as lots and lots of singles? Where do I sign? It's no surprise to me that the monos are so popular.
Same here- I've been a Beatles fan for most of my life and I've never had the opportunity to hear the mono versions of those albums until now (I ordered both sets, BTW, and I have all the '87 discs as well).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Those of you getting both who have never heard the mono mixes before, check out "Paperback Writer" and "Revolution" from the Mono Masters disc. Listen to these with headphones and then listen to the stereo versions and you'll realize what you've been missing all these years. These two songs are very different in mono. The mono versions are heavier with much louder guitars. There's hundreds of other examples, but those two are truly awesome in mono.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Have you seen the ad for The Beatles Rock Band? This is so cool!

- Steve

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Any idea when Amazon will be restocking either set?

Here is an EW article on Amazon's lack of inventory:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/09/01/beatles-sold-out-amazon/

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Any idea when Amazon will be restocking either set?
Someone from the Steve Hoffman forum posted an email from Acoustic Sounds that said they would get their second allotment of the mono set in October. They were shorted on their first allotment, however. To my knowledge, Amazon was not shorted, they just ran out. My guess is that those companies that were shorted will get the first of the new pressings.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks