What's new

BD-P1000 won't play Live Free or Die Hard (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Keep going Jeff.

I have no complaints with the machine itself, it's with Samsung and their customer support, it's the worst I've experienced next to Amazons. I won't support a company with such poor customer service. They should have these FW updates before the discs hit the store shelves, no excuse not to. I shouldn't have to wait weeks or longer after a movie is out to be able to play it.

This is the first Samsung product I've ever bought, it's most likely the last.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And that's exactly what they did here:

Firmware update for LFoDH compatibility: Nov. 19, 2007
Street date for LFoDH: Nov. 20, 2007

Apparently, after the Fantastic Four problems, Samsung learned the importance of getting their hands on Fox discs early and testing them before street date. The obvious lesson, for future reference, is to bypass the customer service telephone line and go directly to the support site.

M.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I must say that I'm very happy with my BD-P1000. Most of the minor problems I've had with it have been corrected by Samsung in very short order. It still won't let me play Dragon's Lair (it reacts too slow) but I think that's really just a matter of this particular machine not having enough horse power. When 3rd or 4th gen BD players come down to a reasonable price, I'll replace it.

I really can't complain too much because it was an open box item and I got it for just under $200.

Doug

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Not quite. If it wasn't for some people on forums like this I'd have gone off the information given to me this morning by Samsung, which was, "they are aware of the issues with Die Hard and are currently working on a fix, please call back in a week".

And if I wasn't able to down load and burn the disk I'd have to wait for them to mail me one and that would be only because I called them. These FW's should be available weeks before the release of a movie, not just one day.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Looks like they all were aware of the problem already and the ICT-boys managed to hurry the solution to the web!

Kudos, I'd say!

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I gotta fall on Ron's side on this one.

The guy is frustrated...plain and simple. And if he was a "typical" consumer...he'd have a player and a couple of discs that don't work. He called Samsung for help...and they didn't even know that they had already "fixed it" and gave him bad information. Heck, I'd be frustrated, too.

Who knows what the future brings...maybe (although he'd wouldn't know it now thru his frustration) he'll end up falling in love with this player and become a Samsung aficionado.

But, for right now, he's ticked off. I can get that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's where you got it wrong. There are no sides in this matter. Ron has a problem with Samsung which is fine with me and why I commented that it will be best that he doesn't buy any more of their products. We all have consumer frustration, right now I'm having it with Toshiba, but that's another story that I'll refrain from bemoaning about it here.

Crawdaddy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Really? From reading your previous posts I'd have thought the opposite.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just because I don't quite understand your logic in this matter, doesn't mean that you don't have the right to be pissed off at a company.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't think I've gotten anything wrong. All I'm saying is that it seemed to me that there was a chorus of voices telling Ron that he should be okay with the way Samsung handled the situation by having the firmware update available, not to be so hard on Samsung since he should have realized these problems would arise with a first-gen player, and that possibly Fox is the real culprit in this scenario as opposed to Samsung.

As I stated earlier, I'm looking at his issue from more of a consumer's stance...that Ron made a purchase and got shoddy support. Again, if he was a "typical consumer" he'd be left with useless discs right now...waiting until who-knows-when he might get notification about the firmware update. On the flip side of the coin, based on different circumstances, Walter is pleased with Samsung's support behind the 1000.

While I obviously agree with your opinion, Robert, that Ron should consider his current situation when making future hardware purchases, I think he's got every legitimate right to be put off by the way this was handled. And, like Ron, I thought most of the responses he got in this thread were defending Samsung with respect to his complaint.

That's all. No biggie.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Again, where did anyone say that? I corrected a factual mischaracterization suggesting that the firmware upgrade was not available before the disc hit stores, and Cees complimented "the ICT-boys" for getting the solution out quickly. But that's a far cry from general approval.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
AND... some of us (e.g. I did) suggested the problem might be on Foxes side, or more in between Fox and Samsung, or....etc.

Which could be of some importance to Ron, because his anger is now solely directed towards Samsung, while perhaps he doesn't have to boycott them after all.

But, to continue this stream of posts: no biggie indeed. :)

Cees

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just go to the company site and check for updates. I check Sony about once a month. They have had 2 updates this month alone! It would be nice if they sent an e mail saying your player has a new update. I thought they would since i took the time to register my product. But they dont, so its no biggie for me to pop over to a site and look for myself.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Quickly and shoddy.

I upgraded my firmware to 1.3 for the BD-P1000 and it doesn't work very well at all. The movie locked up on me once to where I had to stop and restart it, the menus are very, very slow during movie playback and the load time is extremely slow. Lots of issues still need to be worked out. So while they got a fix, it's a crappy one at that.

It's quite obvious that these studios and player manufacturers need to work together better. The software for these movies is written way before these movies hit the store shelves. No reason it cannot be supplied to the player manufactures so they can be working on firmware updates so we have them before the movie is out on the shelf. It's up to the player manufactures to keep up on this stuff.

When it comes down to it, Samsung is at fault here as it's their player I wasn't able play both discs on and their the ones providing crappy customer service. You may agree or not, that's your choice.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

On the BD-P1000 discs that use the advance BDJ are ALWAYS deadly slow. The machine just doesn't have the horse power to deal with those kinds of menus at the speed they were intended to display.

The machine is so slow that a title like Dragon's Lair is completely unplayable. I don't think this is the fault of Samsung as there were no advance BDJ discs out when this player came onto the market. Frankly I think we are lucky that it will display these menus and features at all.

Doug

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The Samsung BD-P1000 was moved to my bedroom when I purchased a PS3 for my theater room. With FW version 1.3, I have had no problems playing "Live Free Or Die Hard" and have played it twice now on the Samsung. As long as I can play the movie on the disc, I have no complaints.:cool: I don't feel the need to use any other feature for the bedroom, so it's a good match.
Agreed that menus on the disc are very slow and so are load times, compared to the PS3 which breezes through these things with virtually no effort, but for me, the other disc features are only used in the theater.;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd love to get a PS3, it sounds like it's a fantastic player even though it's a gaming machine. But, it lacks analog outs so it'd be useless to me as I have no desire to go HDMI audio anytime soon.

charliemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I'm new so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

I just did the 1.3 FW upgrade and my BD-P1000 still won't play Vertical Limit.

Am I going to just have to accept that some discs are going to be unplayable?

It is what it is but still kinda sucks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks