What's new

BD Live coming to PS3 in late March (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone tried WMV ("DivX and WMV format videos larger than 2GB will be playable")?

I was planning to try 1080p WMV-version from R1 "Terminator 2 - extreme edition"...

"The full list of Firmware Update 2.20's announced features are as follows:
*BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade
*"Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed (BD-J format not supported)
*"Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3
*PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved
*DivX and WMV format videos larger than 2GB will be playable
*"Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback (BDMV format not supported)"

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I stream all of my video files to the PS3, and when streaming there is no file size limit, only when reading from the HD. So I can't really comment there, but I can tell you that WMV support has been extended, several files that previously wouldn't play do just fine now.

If you're just planning on putting your T2 disc in your PS3, I promise you it's not going to work. You'll never get past all the DRM and you had to install a specific player to do it, blah blah blah. Hell, I can't even play it on my PC's anymore because it doesn't run under XP64 or Vista.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My PS3 arrived yesterday (a few days earlier than expected; thanks Dell!), and the first thing that happened after setting it up was the automatic update to 2.20/Profile 2.0. Yay!

And I've gotta say--- after spending a couple of hours with it last night, this thing kicks my other BD player's ASS (Sony BDP-S300).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Tried testing this with a SD-DVD. The resume worked if you turned off the system but did not remove the disc. But when I removed the disc and put it back in, it did not resume. Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
"Resume Play" seems to work with certain SD-DVDs. For example, I tried it with Flushed Away but it would not resume where I left off. I tried Wings: Season 6 and it worked.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I've had my PS3 for almost 2 months now and until yesterday I didn't even know about the "streaming media" feature. A buddy of mine who also has a PS3 was telling me how great it was to stream all the audio and video files from his PC to his PS3 and couldn't believe I hadn't explored that capability yet. Guess I need to spend some extra time getting to know my PS3 a little better. :)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I hope this is the right place to post, since it looks like this discussion is about the latest update. I have noticed three things since mine downloaded:
(1) Disc loading time is longer-not by much, but it is noticeable.
(2) My "Elton John-60" playback shows additional graphics for each tune on the song selection pop-up menu. (At least I don't remember seeing them before.) I thought this was interesting.
(3) My "Shakira-Oral Fixation Tour" freezes and skips. It never did that before. I am thinking about contacting Sony, since they issued this disc.
(Can anyone tell me the best place to go to report this? I don't think it is the disc, though.)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I guess it's been about a week and a half since I installed the update. Is is just me, or does the Resume function work completely at random? I know it supposedly does not work for BD-J discs. But I am using SD-DVDs and even the same disc from time to time only seems to resume randomly.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how long the resume function operates for?

In other words, if I watch a movie to the end..press stop at the credits, and then watch it again in a couple years...is it going to start up at the credits?

Just curious if there's a time limit....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What I really need for them to do in the next update is make it work with the MLB Gameday Audio streams. ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about the way the PS3 works, but my older DVD player could remember the last 20 discs that had been in the player. If the disc was ejected in a menu system, the disc would just reload from the very beginning (various warnings and trailers if there were any) Perhaps the PS3 works in a similar manner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks