What's new

Battlestar Galactica Viewing Order [No spoilers!] (2 Viewers)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ With regards to your spoiler, it's been a while since I've seen the episode but wouldn't they have had a rendezvous point planned in advance?
Nope! There was absolutely no rendezvous point. Now I've finished the series I can definitely say that it's actually a colossal plot hole.

But I don't mind... The only explanation I could offer is:

Cavil knew about Galactica's/The Fleet's position the whole time, but was biding his time before making an out and out attack.
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

I don't venture into the SD section of the forum much, so this is the first time reading this thread. I wish I had read it sooner, because I could have tossed in my two cents about the placement of Razor. For the record, I would have, and do, suggest that you view Crossroads: Part 2, followed by the Razor Flashbacks (there are a few extra moments in the flashbacks that are *not* in Razor itself), followed by Razor, and finally onto season 4 (or season 4, episode 3, if you are being technical) , and "He That Believeth in Me."

Without getting into spoilers (I wouldn't dare spoil one of the greatest shows ever), I feel the speech of the Hybrid works much better when viewed right before the events of "He That Believeth in Me," and after the big reveal in Crossroads, as it sets the stage for the sprint to the finish, so to speak.

When you are done with the final episode, I suggest you go back and watch the conversation between Starbuck and the Hybrid. I know I got goosebumps re-watching it.

Two more suggestions: pick up a copy of "The Plan," as well as the pilot for "Caprica."

Also, if you have an afternoon (or more!) to blow, check out the season threads for the show--some of the best discussion ever on this forum occurs in those threads.

For some laughs, scope out the thread made just after the re-imaging was announced: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/125076/battlestar-galactica-remake-time-to-weep-openly . There are some real gems in there ("They changed the freaking helmets!"), and most of the posters in there were quickly forced to eat their words--and a few slinked away in shame after spitting out so much vitriol :)
Hi! Wow, thanks for getting involved. So many points. I have to say that I feel the "reveal" in Razor is so minor, and takes up such a tiny part of the entire story, and going backwards to the Pegasus for the 99% that takes place there was for me, incredibly jarring, even a few episodes on (when I watched it). Although it hinted at something odd going on for one particular character at the end, and did leave a weird taste for the final scene they appeared in, I don't think it necessarily added anything after that... And the prediction was something that stuck in my mind when I watching later episodes of the show.

Looking back, I can sort of see more of what you mean, however about maybe that message being better placed... I just don't know if it's worth jarring the viewer for 90 mins, just to give a message that resonates a tiny bit louder.

Now I've seen everything (apart from The Plan and the pilot for Caprica), my vote is still for placing it in chronological order... I think the prediction stays with you through the fourth season if you're paying attention.

Can I ask you: As someone who is obviously a massive fan of the show, what did you think of The Plan? The extended version of Daybreak ended the show so absolutely perfectly for me that I'm afraid of losing that feeling. Of course, it's written by Jane Espensen, who I adore, so I have high hopes, but I'm afraid it won't keep the same tone.

I don't know anything about Caprica... (I don't even know anyone who watches it!) How does it fit in? Is it good?

I wish I had the time to read through all those threads, but I bet they would have been wonderful to read through as I was watching the show. I found the Battlestar Galactica Wiki to be pretty helpful at times (even if thoughtless editors have left the occassional massive spoiler in unnecessary places -- very annoying!). I found it hilarious that the same fans of the new series had a uproar when it was recently rumoured that Bryan Singer would be doing yet another re-imagining... Haha, their reaction is quite appropriate for the show: "These things have happened before, they will happen again" :)

John CW

Supporting Actor
My final thoughts (until The Plan) - UPDATED:

Wow. Battlestar Galactica was, for me, something that started off really slowly and boringly. I felt there was nothing much going on and I got tired of seeing the same storylines over and over. (Just how many times did Starbuck have to show she's a massive screw-up, but it doesn't matter because when the shit hits the fan, she'll save everyone's ass.) For me the series hit an all time low with the episode that centred around the "Red Baron" of the Cylon fleet ("Scar"). With that episode the show was moving away from a larger story.

However, on hindsight, I've realized that this experience was prompted by the person who recommended me the show telling me how "amazingly" it all fits together, even right back to the first episode. While this is true, it left me wanting to see the big picture in earnest. The first two series instead where just focussed on the people and their stories, and with very little on the grander scheme of things. As a result I was obviously very frustrated until the end of Season 2, when things got (to my mind) really interesting and challenging.

Because of the skewed angle at which I'd come to the show, the subsequent story of New Caprica went by far too quickly for me, but it at least had finally showed some genuine progression, which sated my desire for the "bigger picture". Not only that, but the New Caprica story itself really resonated... probably due in part to the previous two season's worth of material: Being so used to how the show functioned, and so used to how the characters and Battlestar itself functioned, when something that big happened, I really felt it the way the character's did. Their sense of upheaval was palpable and it was glorious.

After the New Caprica story, there was a hint of an overall progression, that things could actually change by the end of an episode, not just reset in preparation of "next week's exciting instalment".

As it turned out, the show just got better and better. I found myself being thankful for the first two season's worth of material, even though I'd literally found it a chore to get through at times, as the history of those shows added so much weight and depth to the characters and the things they went through. I really felt their journey.

Season four started off well and certainly found some rocky ground around the time of the writer's strike, but the second half of that season really picked up and took the show to new heights... (even The Face of the Enemy, the web series that brought the show back, was an incredibly haunting and effective story) ...and by gods -- if the series finale just go and make me outright totally love the show. What a wonderful way it ended, what a wonderful universe, what a wonderful message about faith and religion and hope. Even as an atheist I was totally onboard.

Overall, for me, on my particular and unique journey, Battlestar Galactica just got better and better until it finally crescendoed into possibly its finest moments and painted a wonderful picture from all that had gone on before. It was a great experience and I heartily recommend it, even if you find you're slogging it through the first couple of seasons, like I was.

I've actually gone back to the mini-series and started watching it again and, now being able to just enjoy it for what it is was, I have to say that I found it to be incredibly engrossing and well-made. It really does seem that my initial reaction to the first two seasons was nothing more than my own expectations.

Anyways, what a great show. Also, I'd definitely recommend listening to Ron Moore's podcasts for additional depth and appreciation as you work your way through the show.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Please delete me. Let me gooo...

Seriously I can't find a delete button for the last two posts... Arg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks