What's new

battlestar galactica: the complete epic series (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Larson's credit was simply a legal concession made after he was initially denied credit for his original series teleplay that Moore's show borrowed from. He had no input whatsoever.
Richard Hatch was basically bought off with an appeal to his vanity. Hatch I would point out, went out of his way to badmouth a potential original series continuation project that Tom DeSanto was trying to do with a lot of bull about how it would not be true to the spirit of the original series. In fact (as we discovered when the DeSanto script became available) the potential project would have been a remarkably faithful continuation effort that most original series fans would have been pleased to see. Hatch's problem? It didn't give him a big role, but rather than be honest about that, he tried to pretend that he was looking out for the interests of the original series fanbase (Richard I will note has caused trouble with fans before; the original Galactica novels that had his name attached were not well-regarded by the fanbase for their shocking lack of regard for the basic chronology and continuity of the series).
What was often overlooked in the controversy was the fact that for much of the fanbase, Galactica was a series with an *interrupted storyline* and what fans had wanted to see for more than 25 years was a simple project that would offer closure. There was a sense that Ron Moore basically hijacked all the work the fanbase had done to keep interest in the property alive for so long so he could impose his own agenda of storytelling using someone else's creation and his actions subsequent to that (in which he would soon take to calling himself the *creator* of Battlestar Galactica. Just imagine if a Trek spinoff developer ever said "I created Star Trek") did little to bridge the gap that in all candor he bore most of the responsibility for.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I always liked the Daggit. Kind of a boy and his dog kid of deal. I'm hoping that appears in the new series somewhere. I'm still on Season 2. There's an episode where Apollo is pulling something out to give to a child and I was hoping it was some kind of puppy. :P turned out to be a doll and the girl cried because it was missing one eye. :D
Lovin' the new show. It does have a few things (MST3K quotes) "from the Plot Convenience Playhouse" or the "plot contrivance switch" gets thrown, but it's all forgivable. Really fun show. I do fine some point grim as well, but in a good way. I like the feeling that anything goes.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I thought in 1980 they had a bunch of daggits running around in one scene. I also like the Cylon attack on Hollywood. I had the tape Conquest of the Earth Mission Galactica the Cylon Attack and of course the pilot was on dvd. I had all the old vhs copies on the show and gave them away.
I own all of the new show. I thought the show had it's moments. I was a bit let down on the ending. I even bought the movie they put out before Caprica started. I hated the movie. I never watched Caprica. I had wished we could of traded our non HD dvds in for blu-ray but I was not buying that series over again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark Collins said:
I thought in 1980 they had a bunch of daggits running around in one scene. I also like the Cylon attack on Hollywood. I had the tape Conquest of the Earth Mission Galactica the Cylon Attack and of course the pilot was on dvd. I had all the old vhs copies on the show and gave them away.
I own all of the new show. I thought the show had it's moments. I was a bit let down on the ending. I even bought the movie they put out before Caprica started. I hated the movie. I never watched Caprica. I had wished we could of traded our non HD dvds in for blu-ray but I was not buying that series over again.
Hi Mark,
I have 1978 and 1980 series, but prefer the original 1978 series due to Dirk Benedict as Starbuck along with Jayne Seymour and Maren Jensen as part of the female cast.The 1980 series changed from going back in time to integrating more with people from earth. There was also to be a followup to the return of starbuck, but it was never filmed. The interesting part of 1980 series is the cylons showing up as human, which was the premise for the re-boot series!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I like both the original series and the reboot for different reasons. To me they are different shows based on the same concept. I really wish the original "epic" series had continued for another season as I liked where they were going when it ended. 1980 was OK on its own, but it paled as a continuation of the original series, although it had its moments.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also believe the new show won a Peabody Award. The only problem I had with the old show was the constant use of the same footage over and over again.
We in 1978 because there were no vcrs did not notice it then.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mark Collins said:
I also believe the new show won a Peabody Award. The only problem I had with the old show was the constant use of the same footage over and over again.
We in 1978 because there were no vcrs did not notice it then.
You might not have noticed, but I *did*. I watch TV and films, then and now, with a very critical eye towards such matters and notice such "abuse" along with continuity errors (things like a shot with a half full glass in the right hand and in the next it's almost empty in the right hand, spills that move/dry up/get wetter, etc.). It's rare that I let it "get to me" (depends on how egregious the "error" is) but I notice just the same.
I *did* recently purchase the "premier" movie DVD from BL for $3. I was amazed at just how much they resued scenes even in the premier! Some were as close as 30 seconds apart. They even flipped a few to make it less obvious. I rather enjoyed the opener - again (keep in mind I've not seen this since it originaly aired). It, along with comments here and in other threads, have made me want to pick up the series for no other reason than to watch the more "serious" episodes. It doesn't hurt that Jane Seymour is nice to look at. :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
BobO'Link said:
You might not have noticed, but I *did*. I watch TV and films, then and now, with a very critical eye towards such matters and notice such "abuse" along with continuity errors (things like a shot with a half full glass in the right hand and in the next it's almost empty in the right hand, spills that move/dry up/get wetter, etc.). It's rare that I let it "get to me" (depends on how egregious the "error" is) but I notice just the same.
I *did* recently purchase the "premier" movie DVD from BL for $3. I was amazed at just how much they resued scenes even in the premier! Some were as close as 30 seconds apart. They even flipped a few to make it less obvious. I rather enjoyed the opener - again (keep in mind I've not seen this since it originaly aired). It, along with comments here and in other threads, have made me want to pick up the series for no other reason than to watch the more "serious" episodes. It doesn't hurt that Jane Seymour is nice to look at. :D
You forgot maren jensen or anne lockhart, etc I like the old series as i was a kid or about 10 years old when the series came out. The footage was recycle many times to probably reduce the cost of production. I never seen the re-make as it just did not interest me as it appear from the trailers and/or snapshots that i seen it was more of a soap opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks