What's new

Battlestar Galactica--The Complete Epic Series Editing Error (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If anyone has seen the VHS called Mission Galactica, you will know that this was compiled from the episodes 'The Living Legend' and 'Fire In Space.' In that version there is a scene between Commander Cain, Starbuck and Apollo where Cain introduces his daughter Sheeba and the fact that he had a relationship with Cassieopia. In the Missiion Galactica version this scene plays as one long scene between the three. This is how the scene was first scene when 'The Living Legend' was first broadcast. However, when the show as released into syndication, this scene was for some reason, split up and reconstructed in syndication out of order. In the syndincated version, Cain brings up Sheeba and then Starbuck and Apollo are returned to the Galactica. Several scenes later, they are back in Cain's quarters and then the moment where Cain mentions Cassieopia is shown.

This is the version of 'The Living Legend' that appears on the DVD set. I don't know why the original broadcast version isn't on there, but it isn't. I've seen the original broadcast version at a convention and the scene was as it appears on the Mission Galactica VHS. Just and FYI for everyone.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

The version you're talking about is likely the syndicated TV-movie version of "Living Legend" (no, I'm not talking about "Mission Galactica", but the package of 10 TV movies that was sold to local stations).

The TV movies featured added and expanded scenes that weren't a part of the original 1-hour installments. For more information on the scenes added to the TV movie version of "LIving Legend", go here.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hmmm. That's odd. The orginal broadcast tape I saw was from 1978 complete with original commercials and the scene was all in one piece. Granted, this was 15 years ago, but it was one of the things that I looked for when I was watching the tape.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Having watched the show on its first run, I can say that nothing about the DVD version of "Living Legend" seemed different from what I remember. Of course, these memories are older than 15 years but anything related to Laurette Spang always stands out pretty clearly in my mind. :D

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Looks like I'll have to get this soon as it looks like no price drop is likely.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Then you'll want to check out her guest appearance in the third episode of Six Million Dollan Man season 1, "Survival of the Fittest". She plays a stewardess on a plane that crashes on a deserted island with Steve and Oscar on board. It's sort of like an episode of "Lost", when some of the passengers plot to kill Oscar.
The SMDM-S1 is coming to R2 next month, and hopefully here in R1 shortly after.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Thanks. Of course, it would help if they would please, please, please release the DVD set in R1!

Wasn't that the episode that was recycled, almost word for word, on the The Bionic Woman?

MattHR

Screenwriter

Yep, it sure was. It was recycled as "Fly Jaime" from BW's first season. Instead of Steve and Oscar, it was Jaime and Rudy who crashed on the island. I remember watching it as a kid and thinking, "I can't believe they're using this same story over again!" There were many other episodes with "borrowed" plotlines, but this was the most obvious.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
But it wasn't just a borrowed plotline. It was everything, right down to the lines of dialog. Considering that people who watched the Bionic Woman were probably the same people who watched SMDM, I don't see how they could have thought we wouldn't notice... :rolleyes

Oh, well, back to Battlestar Galactica editing errors... or lack thereof. ;)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Again, are you sure it's the original two-part airing (i.e. two hour-long installments, not one long one, that would've aired on two consecutive weeks on ABC and would've contained promos for ABC's prime time shows scattered throughout) and not the subsequent movie version that was released to local TV stations in the early 1980s? What you describe sounds a lot like the scenes that were added to the episode when it was expanded to TV movie form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks