What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic...Announced! (1 Viewer)

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Yet another fun series from the past coming to dvd. Given the age of this series, this is some serious price gouging.

I'll be intereseted in seeing what kind of deals will be available. We should be getting this set at a reasonable price, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yet another fun series from the past coming to dvd. Given the age of this series, this is some serious price gouging.
Unlikely. I'm sure that at least Glen Larson and Don Bellasario are taking major points from it, and I'm sure that the principles aren't taking a good chunk too

Of course, if it were a Fox show I'd be shocked at anything over $79.99, but such is life.

Given that the only release of fully half of these episodes on video unadulterated was a Japanese LD box limited to about 3000 that ran about $500, I'm thrilled

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The pricing for TV series is getting pretty ridiculous. How come a 5 disc set of the complete 23 episode Charlie's Angels streets for just over $30CAN, while Battlestar Galactica, with fewer episodes comes in for over $100 more?

While the supplements look good, this does feel like a gouge. Will that coupon be good in Canada?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
No anamorphic for the movie DVD, it looks like.

I heard back from a Universal PR manager who said that the feature film will not have a new widescreen transfer. He said it will be on a DVD-10 with the film on one side and bonus features (mostly the sneak preview) on the other.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The cost probably reflects the amount of work put into the set. Picture and sound restoration, along with production of original special features, are expensive.

MatS

Screenwriter
I used to love this show as a kid growing up
Problem is, as with most titles like this.... does the material hold up well and have replay value in this day and age or will it seem cheesy and dated.

Guess I'll have to start watching the episodes when they air again on Sci Fi to make that decision.

EDIT: nevermind I guess Sci Fi is just showing their new series not the original...this is too costly a set for me to buy based on nostalgia alone

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Since there's no French audio track, is it safe to assume no bilingual packaging, despite this being a Universal release?

And yes, while Second Coming would be nice (never seen it), it seems highly unlikely given that the studio would not want to detract attention from its forthcoming remake series. Fans would watch Second Coming and moan about "what might have been". There would also undoubtedly be all sorts of rights issues.

Having said that, A&E managed some sort of compromise on Space:1999s Message From Moonbase Alpha, who's to say a concerted fan petition might not persuade the powers that be to do something about it?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I can actually get an answer on TSC trailer, but I'll tell you right now it'll be a "no" due to how it was made contractually. They got to waive SAG and other unions until the show sold, and putting it on the DVD would definately consitute "sold"

Just go to a con where Richard appears, you'll see it :)

Jeff Ulmer, as for cost, see previous threads on "Why are X-Files and Star Trek so expensive". BSG has 2 of the 80s biggest producers Glen "BSG Fall Guy, Knight Rider" Larson and Don "MacGuyver, Airwolf, Quantum Leap" Bellasario on it. Pretty good point spread between them I'd reckon

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know that Aaron "Love Boat, SWAT, Starsky & Hutch, Fantasy Island, Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90210, yada yada" Spelling and Leonard "pretty much the same as Aaron" Goldberg are exactly lightweights in the production racket...

I just hope this isn't model pricing for Universal, otherwise they are going to fail big time at TV on DVD. Battlestar is one thing, but who in their right mind is going to shell out that kind of dough for some of their other properties?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All depends on what kind of points are in the contracts, and what they're willing to negotiate on. L&O was priced at $99/season. I agree that if they hold to a $100/season model across the board they're going to get their butt handed to them

Steve_Klein

Agent
* The six-disc set includes all 24 hours of the original series, presented in their original broadcast order, the way fans want to see them.
I haven't seen this discussed, but does anyone think this means the extended "telefilm" versions of the 2-part (or 2-hour) episodes? I'm not talking about the telefilms that were spliced together from two one-hour episodes (usually very badly), but the telefilms of the 2-hour episodes contained extra footage and, in several cases, explained plot holes / continuity errors that made it into the originally aired episodes (and onto the Universal VHS copies of the episodes). The telefilms of the 2-parters should be considered the definitive versions of those episodes -- "the way the fans want to see them."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I think you're breaking down the sentence wrong. Instead, focus on this part:

The part about "the way fans want to see them" is, in my opinion, an explanation as to why these are "presented in their original broadcast order".

Don't read more into it than that. I strongly doubt there's any hidden meaning as to presenting the episodes in a way different than the original television presentation on the night each episode first aired. Wanting anything else is wishful thinking. :)

No, I'm fairly sure that for this DVD release they have cast off everything done post-first-run (the syndicated telefilms with mismatched episodes spliced together, as well as the VHS releases) and disregarded those. Instead they probably have just taken the original versions of the episodes to clean them up and put them on DVD.

Well, I don't know for sure, but that's what I'm expecting, anyway.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I was really looking forward to this set, but at a suggested price of $120 I'm going to have to pass. I'd be willing to pay between $50-$60. I enjoyed the series when I was younger, and I think my kids would like it, but I can't see us watching it enough to justify that kind of retail price. I'd rather get the Ken Burns Baseball box set, or three Criterion dvds at that price. Still, I'm sure we'll ending up renting at least a few episodes.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Yikes! I was really excited as I read this thread... but that's a pretty pricey set, especially in Canadian bucks! I'll hafta see what the actual street-price is before I decide... *sigh*

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I can actually get an answer on TSC trailer, but I'll tell you right now it'll be a "no" due to how it was made contractually. They got to waive SAG and other unions until the show sold, and putting it on the DVD would definately consitute "sold
The Message From Moonbase Alpha situation was exactly why I asked. Because it wasn't a commercial production, Equity waived union fees on the production. When A&E decided to release it on DVD they (or Carlton Media) had to negotiate with the union. So if Universal wanted to, they could workout something with the SAG. Not that it's such a big deal.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The question is the Return on Investment. And this was made now, and that was then

I'll ask Richard, but I'm guessing no

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks