What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic...Announced! (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I posed a question earlier that was never answered. I see that there's a featurette on the scoring of BG. But is there a complete, isolated score found anywhere on this set?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Haven't come across one yet, Dane. I don't believe there is one, but I'm only into the second episode.

Ric

Kevin Chu

Auditioning
just saw the episode "fire in space" and notice that the dolby digital 5.1 sound is virtually nonexistent. Most if not all the sound is coming from the center channel. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
It was probably inevitable that in a set this big there'd have to be something to complain about at some point, and there is this detail to note that for hard-core Galactica fans will be annoying.

On side 2 of disc 1, which deals with the two part episode "Lost Planet Of The Gods" the deleted scenes supplement does not include one scene that was part of the expanded two hour "telemovie" that aired in syndication in the early 1980s. It takes place in Part 2 on the planet Kobol, where Adama leads Apollo and Serina through the ruins and this conversation takes place.

Serina: Was it their fault their world died?
Adama: According to the log, incredible waste occured. The rivers and oceans were contaminated. The skies culdn't support even the heartiest of creatures. And when they settled the Colonies, they turned on the very technology that could have saved them had they used it properly. They destroyed the ships, the machines, everything. It took them hundreds of yahrens to revive even the most primitive crafts.

This scene not part of the ABC broadcast but part of the telemovie was a nice addition because it offered a contextual explanation of how the mother world of humanity died and also how once the original 12 planets were settled, human civilization destroyed its machines and started from scratch. A very important scene from the standpoint of Galactica back history and why it was not included in the supplements is baffling. If you have the expanded telemovie on VHS from an off-air broadcast, hang onto it for that reason alone!

The other additional scenes that were part of the telemovie, Serina landing her shuttle on her first solo flight etc. are included in the supplements.

This lack of a deleted scene only hard-core Galactica buffs like me are familiar with should not be taken as a slight on the set. So far, I'm having a ball with it! The Hatch-Benedict-Jefferson commentary on the pilot episode was fun, especially when they got surprised with scenes that were part of the pilot but not the movie version, that they'd long forgotten about (Jefferson was doing his sign-off when suddenly the pilot only epilogue, showing Baltar being spared came up, surprising all of them)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ive got a question , so far ive only been watching some of the episodes, but havent gotten around to extras .Does anyone know if the alternate ending to the original episode is in the deleted scenes ? The reason im asking, is because i keep hearing so much about the alternate ending. Cant describe it ,because i might spoil it.:D

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
No isolated score. If ytou want it, you gotta buy it.
Check this 4-cd set out: http://www.supercollector.com/item.p...d09ffc29f675bf

I bought it years ago and found it to be great, although recorded in mono. It's probably the best there will ever be.

What is this alternate ending? The only one I've ever heard about is the lousy "anthem" scene. 25 years later I think spoilers are inevitable. Spill 'em! :D

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Correction. Baltar being executed is not an "alternate ending." That scene takes place in the middle of the movie when Baltar protests to the Imperious Leader for reneging on the bargain. In the movie, as the scene was originally shot, the scene plays like this:

Imperious Leader: We thank you for your help Baltar, but your time is at an end.

Baltar: No! You still need me!

A Cylon centurion pulls Baltar back by the neck and the other drops his sword toward him.

When the decision was made to retain Baltar for the series, this scene was altered in the pilot film through the use of a new insert shot and some new voiceover dialogue from the Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader: We thank you for your help Baltar, but your time is at an end.

Baltar: No!

The centurion pulls out his sword.

Imperious Leader: No.

Insert shot of centurion putting his sword back.

Imperious Leader: Remove him for public execution.

The movie version, with Baltar dead, ends with Apollo and Starbuck returning to the Galactica and Adama's final voiceover. In the pilot, after this scene we dissolve to an epilogue showing Baltar being dragged in before the new Imperious Leader where he is spared and given command of a baseship to track down the survivors, as things unfolded in the series.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
that's a DVD-14. Single-layer on one side, Dual-layer on the other side.
Does the disc allocation/design for this set make sense to anyone?

Was it really necessary to resort to naked discs and flippers?

The MSRP for this set is $119, no small amount of money.

Aside for day one sales, this set will be retailing for $99.

As someone familiar with the STTNG sets, I find this all very puzzling.

I expected single-sided dual-layer discs with artwork (as the packaging shows).

With talk of grainy transfers and awkward packaging, I'm starting to question whether this set is worth even $79 + tax.

My set remains sealed while I review the net feedback.

If a used set pops up for $50, I'll glad buy it and return the new one.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
You got it, Eric. Not an ending, but an alternate "middle".

Everyone knows Baltar is supposed to be dead.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The "deleted scene" that had Muffet getting up and leaving a pile of daggit shit on the floor that consisted of washers and other small machine parts made me laugh hard.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Correction, Eric...

Listen closely to the dialogue in the Baltar execution scene in the theatrical version....it actually says...

Imperious Leader: We thank you for your help, Baltar. Your time is at an end.
Baltar: You can't do this to me...aaaaaugh!
(Sword cuts through Baltar's head)

The same dialogue is also in the Marvel Comics adaptation.

Personally, I prefer Baltar's fate in the theatrical version (which he deserved) rather than in the TV cut.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Got my Set in today from overstock.com. Was surprised it came this fast, i bearly ordered it on monday. The box is huge! Still havent cracked it open, maybe sometime this weekend.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The series would have been so much inferior without John Colicos' presence. Bravo to them for changing that sequence so he could stay and make such a memorable impact on a generation of Galactica fans.

Barry Hebert

Agent
Frank@N asked...

With talk of grainy transfers and awkward packaging, I'm starting to question whether this set is worth even $79 + tax. The MSRP for this set is $119, no small amount of money. Aside for day one sales, this set will be retailing for $99.
The transfers are not perfect. But I'm halfway through the set and (so far) they are nothing less than I expected them to be. Most of the problems (occassional dirt, scratches, soft or grainy images) are built into the masters due to the nature of the optical compositing methods for special effects technology of the day. The show has never looked this good. On the whole I find the image quality to be generally better than the early ST-TNG season sets. I guess some digital wizardy could have cleaned up some of the issues, but realistically, Universal was not going to drop that kind of big bucks on Galactica. Frankly, this set gives the show more respect than it has ever gotten in its twenty-five year history.

The Battlestar Galactica set is priced comparable to the Star Trek sets and offers more in terms of bonus material in my opinion. If you're a fan, this set is a no-brainer.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Barry,

Thanks for the mini-review.

It went a long way towards explaining some the set's quirks.

Unless I can find a better deal, I'll hang onto my new copy.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I cracked my set open last night, and was pretty disappointed that none of the women get featured at all. Cassi and Athena were the reason I watched this show as a kid, figuring Starbuck was only lucky bastard (though you'd think he'd know enough not to be fooling around near control monitors). Ah well, we'll see how the transfers look.

That box is pretty dumb if you ask me. The Cylon is malfunctioning... ;)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Amazon is listing the movie-only disc as being 16:9. Not that Amazon is 100% accurate with their specs, but can anyone who's purchased this confirm or deny?

Thanx in advance.

D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keith, that spoiler-ed question of yours never gets answered in the series, and isn't addressed in this thread.

Longtime fans simply assume that this happened:

Lucifer (his "#1" you forget the name of) and Baltar worked it out, after the humans left the planet Kobol and then the Cylons came down and eventually found and rescued Baltar. Imperious Leader may not have given the human being a choice in the matter! But, you'll notice that going forward Lucifer never got quite so bold.

It could also be assumed that Baltar carried out his threat, and that the Lucifer we see afterward is simply a look-alike, named-alike replacement.

Or, as my dad always liked to say, "It's in the script!". :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks