What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2.0 & 2.5 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Season set for 2 and 2.5, wouldn't it be fair for everyone to consider that cable does not have conventional seasons like the major networks do? So a normal season for a cable show can be shorter and this season 2.0 and 2.5 is just an unfortunate naming convention. I got the sense that the BSG season 2 ended when it did on the DVD box set and 2.5 picks up the next "season".

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

This would be correct, except they talk about the episodes when they picked the season up. I'm pretty sure this was always "season 2" but was planned to be broken up. It's the same thing HBO did with The Sopranos - season 6, but broken up into two parts. I think there's something to do with contracts being changed after a certain number of seasons (I think everyone gets a raise), so this may be a clever way to squeeze more episodes out of a cable show without cranking up the number of seasons.

Gord

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gord- Interesting information on the internal workings of the TV business!

I have not seen season 2.5, but even if they still refer to episode events in season 2.5 from Season 2, isn't that part of the nature of a serialized series anyway? Star Trek Enterprise referred to events in Season 3 during Season 4 for example.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
When the second season was ordered, they said they were going to increase the episode order from 13 to 20 episodes and split them up into two parts - much as has been done with the Stargates and Farscape.

Picked up 2.5 the other day, but haven't started watching yet. I re-watched 2.0 the other day and will go through 2.5 and bring myself back up to date by the time season three cranks up in October.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Sorry Nelson, Bill made what I was trying to say more clear. They talked about picking up 20 episodes and splitting them up, I didn't mean they were referring to events from previous episodes. I wasn't talking about the show itself, but the production of the show and the network business.

Gord

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the extended version of Pegasus last night, and while I enjoyed seeing the extra footage, I think the pacing worked better in the standard version of the episode (which was a series highlight IMO). Not sure that the scenes added in really added anything to the narrative, in which case I'd say they should have been attached as deleted scenes.

Speaking of deleted scenes, I erred in an earlier post when I said every episode had deleted scenes on 2.5. Eight of 10 episodes have them, not counting the extended Pegasus.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It sounds like Season 3 won't be broken up into a winter / summer season. Looks like it will run straight through it's 20 episodes. So that should mean a complete S3 set when it eventually is released.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

IIRC, S3 will be run straight through for the most part. The only exception is going to be, I think, a week or two for Christmas. I'm sure someone can confirm or deny this.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Began watching this last night, with the extended cut of Pegesus. I prefer this cut of the episode for any number of reasons but people should be aware that this is very mature content, even for BSG.

Other than that I really enjoyed listing to the commentary track on the extended episode, not only did they talk about what was added in, but why it was taken out of the shorter version and the mechanics of dealing with the network on such things.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Surprised that only a few of Eick's "Videoblogs" made the cut-- there were a bunch more on the site. And they only last about 3-5 minutes apiece.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Gord, I like you might be a little off there. I've been reading articles here and there and everyone has been referring to the Pegasus episode (standard and extended) as mid-season cliffhanger. Season 3 will most likely be the same as I remember hearing that Sci Fi picked up Season 3 with an ordered number of 20 episodes. Why such an odd number really strikes me odd, usually there are 22 or 26.

Season 2, was always intended as a 20 episode season and I wouldn bet that even Sci Fi would agree on that point.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
What is Gord a little off about? Anyway, season 2 was 20 episodes, and season 3 will be 20. We are talking cable here, not network. Network shows have 22 to 26 episodes, cable doesnt. As a matter of fact 20 is pretty generous for a cable show.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Yes, season 2 was intended as a 20 episode season, that would run in two parts - I haven't claimed anything different, so you're confusing yourself. The first block of episodes aired from July 15 - Sept 23 2005, while the second block aired between Jan 6 - March 10. Season 2 was 20 episodes, but clearly broken in two parts, which is why it was released on DVD that way. I was responding to Nelson who said that he felt season 2.5 was a different season; it wasn't a different season, it was the same season that was broken up, with months between the two parts. Aryn Leroux and Jason_V have said they think the third season will run straight through - no breaks that last for months.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, when I read it just looked like everyone was saying that the two sets are two separate seasons when they're not.

I just hate the way cable does it season programming. It should stick to the same format that standard networks have always held to. I think studios are to blame for this for causing confusion among the fans.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Mark, the thing is there isn't any confusion. Only the hardcore like us will care if it's labeled Season 2.0 or 2.58394. Honest to god, it doesn't matter period how many seasons are out or what they're called. It simply doesn't.

And wanting everyone to stick to the same scheduling and conventions the "networks" do is insane. The networks (FOX, IIRC) wouldn't put "The Sopranos" on the air. Does that mean it wasn't worthy? Think of all the quality programming we wouldn't have if every channel was a carbon copy of NBC, ABC and CBS.

What you're saying is that cable should stay on the wretchedly outdated scheduling model of first run shows ALL premiering within a month's time in September/October, with dozens of repeats sprinkled in during the year to make 20 or so episodes last for 9 months. Take the entire summer off so people are away from their TV's and you lose potential eyes on new show promos. THAT model is outdated. We should have having uniterrupted runs of all shows, similar to 24 for the past couple of years. None of this baloney rerun business with a new episode the week later.

Cable is the way television is going to be; it will be dragging the networks kicking and screaming behind it.
No Nip/Tuck, no Stargate, no BSG, no The Shield, no Sopranos, no Sex and the City, no Rescue Me, no Hustle...the list goes on.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
Network shows are only bearable for me on DVD these days. I don't have the patience to wait from September to May for a complete story/season, with repeats peppered in between breaking up the flow. Lost is the only network show I make an exception for, but that's 'cause it's social TV with friends, big Wednesday night gathering, at least when we can all manage it. Plus I don't think I'd be able to dodge any huge spoilers in the media.

The Fox network did something great for a change when they decided to begin running 24 all the way through starting with its fourth season. When I finally catch up with the release of the Season 5 DVDs, I'd love to watch Season 6 on the air, as much as it might drive me crazy. But hopefully a good kind of crazy that appreciates the prolonged suspense (but not unreasonably prolonged as in the case of repeat weeks/months and the Xmas break).

I only watch and pick up new shows from HBO and Showtime lately (via TMN in Canada), FX's stuff gets saved for DVD. Dexter will probably be the only new series I watch this year (although I'll admit to sampling the pilot of the well-cast but so far mediocre Six Degrees and thinking about watching those recordings of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip out of curiosity. And Heros begins in four minutes. Nooo, must resist. DVD is superior).

I have yet to check out Battlestar Galactica (either the classic or the current). Still need to polish off Babylon 5 and I think I'd like to check out Farscape as well before I get into the newest sci-fi hit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hope no one takes this the wrong way but some of you guys are spoiled by DVDs. :) Part of the fun of TV for me is the anticpation of waiting for a new episode. It just builds on the cliffhanger (assuming it's a show like 24 or Lost) and that makes viewing more fun because I can talk to people about what happened or what we think will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks