What's new

Battlestar Galactica - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Question for anyone who has seen the whole series?

Do they find any other survivors? Almost like when they found Cain and the Pegasus in the original?

Thanks!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am hoping some of the old stars will come back now. Saw a pic on Scifi.com today of Dirk Benedict who played the original Starbuck and the actress who plays the new one together. Guess they had coffee together. I'd post the pic here but dont know how to do that.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
todd,
To answer your question:
No. But the show is excellent nonetheless. I'm sure it's possible in season 2 though.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Someone mentioned that they didn't like the Cylons looking like humans and that it was a "cop out."

When I first watched the mini-series, I thought that, too: "Oh, nice budget fix, save on CGI by making them look like humans...LAME!"

But then I changed my mind.

What they have going on here is really interesting. Boomer's predicament reminds me of Rachel's in BladeRunner: If she doesn't know she is a replicant, what happens when she is so invested in her identity as a human and all that falls apart?

What happens if she dies and her "self" is loaded into another Boomer?
Will that Boomer also betray her programming and do something like report the found water?

You might get someone who cannot obey her programming to detonate the explosives.

Will that "self" become like a virus always loaded into at least one line of all the successive Boomers?

Then again, maybe having Boomer suffer this dissociative disorder is all part of the Cylon's plan.

I tend to be of the belief that the Cylons had long ago figured out how to look like humans down to a cellular level, but they are, for the first time, interacting with humans on an deep, interpersonal basis, and that might cause some unforeseen problems and or glitches within Cylons who
a) don't know they are Cylons, and
b) know they're Cylons, but develop deep attachments to humans.

Personally, I don't think they kidnapped a baby Boomer and 6; I just think they either made up false records for them, including false memories (another Bladerunner theme), and then dropped "Boomer" into the academy...

It also seems clear that Boomer and 6, are capable of reproducing with humans. Otherwise, why would they allow 6 to mention that she wants to have a child with Baltar?

While I like the new Cylons, I was glad to see more use of the traditional Cylons, because for all the interest in what happens to the replicants, I want to see those walking toasters every once in a while, too.

As for Baltar and his situation, I also like the fact that I don't know why Baltar is seeing 6. I think that makes the show better, because you really don't know if he has an implant or not.

Count me as another that is GLAD for the lack of cheesy "space dialog" and foreign names for common objects. I do LOVE how they are able to get away with the equivalent of the F-word, simply by using "frak" when we know they are saying "fuck." If they had pronounced it just a little differently, one could say they are being mean to a particularly prominent member of The Next Generation cast.

I do love the show, and hope they keep with the "human drama," that just happens to be set in space, and leave the space-techno babble to other shows that think it is better to use "scifi" names for common objects that pull me out of the drama. (Even "frak" is doing that too me a little bit.)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I had a question for the fans familiar with the original. I like the use of old character names but new twists. Obviously Boomer, outside of the asian and female thing, is a big twist on the original. The newish Baltar is cool, too. Is Richard Hatch's "terrorist" from Bastille Day a remake of an original series character? We have a new Boxy introduced in the pilot. Was there a president in the original? Any predictions/desires of fans to see new takes on old characters? I know fans across the pond have watched this all the way through so no cheating but for those that don't know, will there be aliens?

Thanks!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I found it interesting in particular that President Aydar from the original series was kept in the new series but instead had him die in the holocaust so they could bring in Mary McDonnell's character.
The fact that his presence is felt even though he's gone, is one of the many touching little things about this show.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

As far as I know, no. Although there was an episode in the original where they use convicts to carry out a mission. Can't remember the name, though.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I dunno. I do not mind that Starbuck has been rewritten as a female, no problems, doesn't bother me, sure whatever, have a great time.

This actress (Katie Sackhoff) is not working for me though. She's not engaging, she's not enthralling, and she's not stimulating. Her scenes seem forced and unnatural, she has no charisma with the camera, and she really doesn't strike me as a fighter pilot. Her attempts to portray cockiness and arrogant confidence aren't working, if she's even trying to emote those concepts at all.

Basically, she's the worst part of the show as far as I'm concerned, which made the most recent episode pretty disappointing. Less Starbuck, more Captain Adama, more Dr. Baltar, more Tyrol.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I dissagree. Sure she did seem one demensional in the pilot but after last week's episode, it looks to me like they are showing some layers to her. At least we are starting to understand why she is so cocky and such a hardass.

EDIT: Read this quote from Edward James Olmos:

Ed just can't leave well enough alone. Last year he got fans hackles up by tactlessly telling them not to watch the new miniseries if they had a problem with it. What's he telling them this time? Click the link to see...

..."Olmos' advice to those fans of the old series? The same as it was for the miniseries: 'Get a DVD of the original and when we're on on Friday nights, put it in and don't watch our show because it could be detrimental to you mentally.'''

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I have to agree with David Rogers. Starbuck just isn't an interesting or compelling character that I care one iota about. I don't know if they writers are writing around her lack of actings skills or simply writing the character badly. I'm not saying she is a bad actress since the writing for her character is so bad, I cannnot tell. I really like how they changed Adama from the perfect partiarch to a hardened military commander that would make a lousy president. They have certainly done an excellent job at making this a completely new BSG that is quite good on its own, even if it has a bunch of weak spots.

I just hope to the Lords of Kobol that we never see Col. Tigh without his shirt on again.

Chuck Anstey

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Sorry Chuck. I guess you didn't see the Scifi channel news item. They are doing a BSG spinoff.... "Colonel Tigh:Socialator" About the risque 2nd job of an older fleet officer. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hate to be a bother, but could we please be careful with spoilers? Various comments about upcoming shows that haven't aired in the US yet.

Thanks. I'm enjoying the discussion, even if I don't post much. :)

Jasmine Meathe

Stunt Coordinator
good advice Diallo-gotta give her a second try. By the way-what other shows are out there that have that whole end of the world feel to it?

John Swarce

Second Unit
Tonight's episode was excellent. I am really liking EJO as Adama in this reimagining! Great range of emotions in this episode, which was a good counterpoint from last week's episode (in his dealings with Starbuck). I, for one, like Katie Sackhoff in the Starbuck role! Light up them stogies! :D

Anyone have any idea where the Caprica sub-plot is going?

John

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was more of a filler episode than the first four in terms of plot, but still excellent and and a stand out high quality character development episode.

My favorite moment was when Adama told Apollo that "if it was you, we'd never leave" Considering how formal their relationship, they really needed that moment. Perfect. (EDIT: In fact that may be my favorite moment of the series thus far)

I also found it fascinating that the Cylons are using biological machines for purposes other than just impersonating humans.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I just watched Fridays episode. I give it high marks.

Although I am really diappointed that the cylon warships are actually piloted by living beings. In the mini-series, I got the impression that the Radiers were simply mechanical cylons in their own right, pilotless machines designed to fight in space. This living being stuff is really messing with me.

If the cylons are not all machines, and can live and breathe like humans, then why are they trying to destroy them again? If they are so much alike, where does the conflict come from?

I'm getting lost in the reimagining while enjoyng it thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks