1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff Kleist, May 8, 2003.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

http://www.genreonline.net/Battlesta...os_Sci-Fi.html

THEY CHANGED THE FREAKING HELMETS! ONE OF THE MOST DISTINCT ASPECTS OF THE SHOW WAS THE COSTUME DESIGN! THEY CHANGED THE BATTLESUITS TOO! THE JACKET ISN'T EVEN OPEN!

BALTAR LOOKS LIKE A GODDAMN DAYTIME TALK SHOW HOST

At least the Viper is mostly intact...........

They should be ASHAMED of themselves. Of course one of the shots is of Starbabe getting it on. Larson is probably drinking heavily at this moment while Lorne Green, Lloyd Bridges, Fred Astaire, and John Colicos spin in their graves. RIP guys

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Well-Known Member

lol im gonna wait and reserve judgement till i actually see the movie.

capt

3. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Well-Known Member

Is the girl with the helmet on starbuck?[​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Starbuck's a woman in this incarnation of BG.

5. Jeff Kleist

Actually, I should take back the Larson comment, I forgot he's a Mormon [​IMG]

Yes, Starbuck, Boomer, and apparently several other well-known cast members have had sex changes "To reflect a more modern sensibility". And Sheba and Cassie were wimps? Sheba kicked butt with the best of them, and Cassie was no slouch herself

I'm hoping that at this year's cast reunion we'll be able to get some first hand impressions of the show, and the original cast's reaction, and hopefully the producers will have the guts to show up to explain themselves. I'm sure there's some produce guy who will be happy to provide ammunition [​IMG]

6. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Well-Known Member

From those pix, I will be passing on watching this one. Looks too generic already.

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Well-Known Member

Well, god knows if the jackets aren't open I can't support this show! [​IMG]

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Hey look, they put turbines on the engines..f..for pulling air...in...in space...

I know there will be some explanation for it & I know that the original Viper's had a look something like that as well but...

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Well-Known Member

This just gets worse and worse. I wish this project would just be dropped before it actually airs. Don't worry Jeff, I'm as disgusted as you are[​IMG]

10. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Well-Known Member

11. Jeff Kleist

Don't forget the Viper is both a space and atmosphere craft. Since reactionary thrusters don't work in atmosphere it's quite possible they would have breaking flaps, and that the term just carries over from avionics.

The engines are fueled by Tylium, which I'm doubing works like the space shuttle by combining 2 elements which burn on contact, so I'm guessing there has to be some kind of Oxygen supply on board. Therefore it's logical there are air intakes so that you don't waste your bottled atmosphere during planetary fligh, and to refill the onboard supply

and Ken, the jacket comment was just to show how far they're going in disrespecting the original. It would have been so easy to update the materials and maintain the basic look of the costume

12. RickGr

RickGr Well-Known Member

Yes, we want cute robot dogs and the same sfx used over and over and over. How dare they change such a classic?

13. Matt Hamand

Matt Hamand Active Member

It looks to me like they made some concessions to reality with the flight suits. Instead of going into space in suede (sp?) jackets and helmets with open face masks, these look like full pressure suits. A welcome change in my book.

Where are you seeing (in the linked picture) the everyday warrior jacket/uniform? It all looks like flight suit type gear to me.

In regards to the turbines, as others have mentioned they could be necessary for atmospheric flight. Notice how in the pictures they look like they're closed. It would be some nice detail work if, when/if the vipers actually do fly in an atmosphere the turbines open and spin.

Matt

14. Jeff Kleist

Rick, do you know how much motion control photography, especially of action sequences costs, especially in 1978 on a TV budget? ST:TNG reused the same shots over and over too, going to zap it for it?

15. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Jeff, Jeff, why do you keep torturing yourself? Just say to yourself "I'm not gonna watch it, I'm not gonna watch it..." [​IMG]

16. Matt Hamand

Matt Hamand Active Member

Jeff

17. David Forbes

David Forbes Well-Known Member

I kind of like the look, and I despised the original show. If you don't want anything changed then just watch the originals.

18. Jeff Kleist

Matt, check the original novelization for the forcefields thing, I believe it was in there.

19. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

But look at that Viper! Very cool. The old Vipers looked very much like they were heavy set pieces that wouldn't budge. This thing looks metallic...looks like it could fly.

And note the helmet still has the bird emblem glued to it - you can't quite see it in these pics, but it appears to be there.

And I've got to disagree - Baltar looks NOTHING like Oprah Winfrey. He does however have 1970s hair - which should please the nitpickers.

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member